Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > OpenInkpot

Notices

Old 12-06-2009, 11:25 AM   #1
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Device: EZ Reader Pocket PRO
Does OpenInkpot support changing text contrast?

Hi, I have a Aztak EZReader PP (Jinke Hanlin V5) and text legibility is important to me.. I notice with pictures you can adjust the "brightness" and "contast" on the stock firmware.. but for text there is no such option but it must be possible somehow.

I was wondering if OpenInkPot has settings to allow one to "set" the brightness and darkness they like for their particular device for text, rather than pictures.

Thanks.
Old 12-06-2009, 11:47 AM   #2
slm
Fool
slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle PW1, Kobo Glo HD, Nook Glowlight Plus ...
I don't know the answer to your question, but OpenInkpot is not yet available for the V5.
Advert
Old 12-06-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
AlfonsVH
Addict
AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlfonsVH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook Neo
I don't think that's an available option. Text is rendered as pure black.
Old 12-06-2009, 08:32 PM   #4
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
OpenInkPot allows you to use whatever font you want for ebooks, and it has a "enbolden" option to always use a bold font. I'm not sure if it has an explicit option to change the system font, but the entire filesystem is open to your changes - so it is definitely possible to change this too.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:08 PM   #5
Sunspark
Zealot
Sunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with othersSunspark plays well with others

Well what I mean is, the hardware generally supports 8 levels of greyscale.. so there must be code that says 'use level 8 for this as opposed to 'level 7 for text and 8 for headings'.
Advert
Old 12-07-2009, 03:25 AM   #6
idle
I Do Like Ebooks
idle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheeseidle can extract oil from cheese

Device: Pocketbook Ultra 650
Well, I don't know about "generally", but V3 (which is supported by OI, unlike V5) has only 4 levels, so I guess people would want all black on white anyway.
Old 12-07-2009, 04:35 AM   #7
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunspark View Post
Well what I mean is, the hardware generally supports 8 levels of greyscale.. so there must be code that says 'use level 8 for this as opposed to 'level 7 for text and 8 for headings'.
As Wallcraft already mentioned, OpenInkpot already has the option to do that by selecting to display all text as bold. However OpenInkpot is not available for your Hanlin V5. FWIW, I never thought to try the all bold option in OI, so I just gave it a try, and IMHO that is way too much contrast for me using the Liberation Sans font that I like to read with.
Old 06-11-2010, 02:27 AM   #8
tsb
tsb is on a distinguished road

Device: Hanvon N516
On my N516 (0.3 06/2010) the bold text is not 100% black, it is 80-90% grey (checked out different fonts, all the same grey). Is there any chance to set the display contrast to 100% black? I can see that there ist 100% black possible when images are displayed or when the screen refreshs.
Old 06-11-2010, 03:53 AM   #9
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsb View Post
On my N516 (0.3 06/2010) the bold text is not 100% black, it is 80-90% grey (checked out different fonts, all the same grey). Is there any chance to set the display contrast to 100% black? I can see that there ist 100% black possible when images are displayed or when the screen refreshs.
It's antialiasing. There is no way to disable AA, but I'll probably add this feature in the future.
Have you tried using bold font?
Old 06-11-2010, 05:04 AM   #10
tsb

I've set "bold" text display (in settings), but not used a special bold font (do you have a font suggestion)? "100% black" would be better than AA (I hope). Is there also a inverse text display planed for fbreader (black background and "white" text)?

EDIT: I've tried some bold fonts, its always "dark grey"

Last edited by tsb; 06-11-2010 at 05:19 AM.
Old 06-15-2010, 11:20 AM   #11
Sunspark
Zealot

Temporary workaround: Use the Segoe Semibold font. (This is not Segoe UI, but Segoe. http://www.istartedsomething.com/200...oe-collection/ ) It is useful because being semibold it has thicker line strokes, and being sans-serif it has less areas for AA to work on.
Old 06-16-2010, 04:00 AM   #12
tsb

Thank you! Now black is black. The higher contrast is really helpfull for reading.

Might be inverse text become available?