Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
girlyn
girlyn began at the beginning.

Device: ps 3 Sony
TS 3 notes won't open anymore when books are transferred with calibre

Hi everone,
I tried to find an answer to this in the forum, but somehow I don't find anything.
My problem is that if I transfer a file to my TS 3 Sony reader, I can make notes, look at them, send them to evernote. However, the "all notes" function within the file as well as over applications always crashes. I cannot see all the notes at the same time therefore. If I did transfer a file using Reader for PC, this problem does not happen, at least I can see all notes I made within that file.
I'd really like NOT to use Reader for PC, but somehow this whole note thing is driving me crazy. Anyone having a glue what I could do? I already formatted my e-reader and reauthorized it.

Thanks for any help!
girlyn
girlyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 04:20 AM   #2
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by girlyn View Post
Hi everone,
I tried to find an answer to this in the forum, but somehow I don't find anything.
My problem is that if I transfer a file to my TS 3 Sony reader, I can make notes, look at them, send them to evernote. However, the "all notes" function within the file as well as over applications always crashes. I cannot see all the notes at the same time therefore. If I did transfer a file using Reader for PC, this problem does not happen, at least I can see all notes I made within that file.
I'd really like NOT to use Reader for PC, but somehow this whole note thing is driving me crazy. Anyone having a glue what I could do? I already formatted my e-reader and reauthorized it.

Thanks for any help!
girlyn
Welcome to the forum, girlyn

I've had problems with retrieving notes on my T2 and T3, but I really don't think that calibre is to blame. This topic was discussed a few weeks ago in this forum, and I think the general concensus was that it might be due to a problem with certain ebooks.

After reading your post yesterday I deleted all the ebooks on my T2, and was able to check Notes without error. There weren't any notes of course, but at least there wasn't any problem with opening the Notes folder though I hadn't been able to open it on the T2 before I deleted all the ebooks.

I then sideloaded an ebook which I had designed myself for the MR library directly from the folder on my Windows 7 computer to the books folder on my T2. I could make notes and bookmarks and retrieve them without any problem. Then I transferred a commercial ebook from my calibre library to the T2 using calibre, and still could make notes and retrieve them with that ebook. And I got a commercial ebook which was in mobi format, converted it to epub with calibre, and transfered the epub version to the T2. I can make notes and retrieve them with this ebook also without any problems.

I lost the ability to retrieve notes I had made on my T3 quite a while ago, and got Sony to replace it. All went well for a couple of weeks, and then the notes problem occurred again on the new T3. A few days ago the T3 started to freeze for no obvious reason, and I had to reset it several times. It's working well now, and much to my surprise I can now make and retrieve notes even though all the ebooks on the T3 were loaded with calibre.

I'm going to check Notes after every ebook I load on the T3 to see if the problem occurs again. If it does I'll try to find out if there is something different about that ebook. Do you have a record of the ebooks you loaded on your T3 since the last time you could retrieve notes successfully? If you do, would you consider deleting all those ebooks, and then try to retrieve notes? If the ability to retrieve notes has returned you could try reloading the ebooks one by one, and checking after each one to see if you can retrieve notes.

If you can do this please let us know the outcome.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-13-2014, 06:50 AM   #3
AlexBell
Wizard
AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexBell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T3, Kobo Glo, Kindle Touch, iPad, Samsung SB 2 tablet
I hope people will use this thread to discuss ideas and findings about the problem that Sony T2 and T3 ereaders sometimes stop letting users retrieve notes from the Notes folder. Perhaps if enough people have this problem the thread could be a sticky.

I was unable to retrieve notes I made on my T2 until I deleted all the ebooks on it. After I did that I could retrieve notes I made ebooks I loaded. Last night I put an ebook I am designing for the MR library on the T2, and found to my dismay that I could not retrieve proof reading notes. I then deleted the ebook. Before I started working through the ebook this morning to find out whether there is anything wrong with the ebook I put the ebook back on the T2, and found that I could make and retrieve notes. I have no idea what is happening, but thought people might like to try deleting and reloading an ebook if the T2 won't let them retrieve notes. If this works for you or you have found any other tricks please add them to this thread.
AlexBell is offline   Reply With Quote