Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-21-2014, 04:51 PM   #1
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Anyone want to help me dip my toe in the indie waters?

I have read 0 indie books. I'm a fairly omnivorous reader, but do tend to prefer the types of books that are character driven vs. action driven (I guess what's usually categorized literary fiction vs. genre fiction.) Here's a list of books I've recently enjoyed and also some of my all-time favorites:

- The Goldfinch, Donna Tartt
- A Tale for the Time Being, Ruth Ozeki
- The Remains of the Day, Kazuo Ishiguro
- The Art of Fielding, Chad Harbach
- Ready Player One, Ernest Kline
- Gone Girl, Gillian Flynn
- The Garden of the Evening Mists, Tan Twan Eng
- The Crimson Petal and the White, Michael Faber
- The Forgery of Venus, Michael Gruber
- The Blind Assassin, Margaret Atwood,
- Cutting for Stone, Abraham Vergehese
- The Namesake, Jhumpa Lahiri
- Shogun, James Clavell
- Pillars of the Earth, Ken Follett

Hopefully that gives someone enough information to recommend a few indie books. Any ideas? Thanks!

Last edited by maxbookworm; 02-21-2014 at 05:11 PM.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 02:02 PM   #2
ccowie
Hiding with an ereader
ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ccowie ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony PRS 950, Ipad 2, PRS 350
Not sure if these qualify as "indie" but from what I can see, I think you would really like:

A Fine Balance by Rohinton Mistry
Half of a Yellow Sun by Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie (actually anything by this author)
The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry by Rachel Joyce
ccowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #3
maxbookworm
Addict
maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maxbookworm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Galaxy Note 2
Thanks for the suggestions! I did indeed read The Unlikely Pilgrimage of Harold Fry and enjoyed it I'll definitely check out your other two suggestions.
maxbookworm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 10:47 AM   #4
december
Nameless Being

Try M.C.A. Hogarth's The Admonishments of Kherishdar! It's not a novel - more a series of short "flash" stories - but I think it's absolutely mesmerizing, and one of the most thoughtful explorations of an alien culture I've ever read.

Editing to add: It's not quite "indie" by the definition of "self-published", but since the author is not very well-known, maybe it also qualifies - you might like Genevieve Valentine's Mechanique.

Last edited by december; 02-27-2014 at 02:03 PM.
Old 03-05-2014, 06:07 PM   #5
Lin2412
Grand Sorceress
Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lin2412 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
I have no recommendations at the moment, as I was planning to start a thread looking up for indie books (thank goodness we already have this), because I begin to think that my book tastes are like my tastes in music too... that is, mainstream. And I feel like I will find something more precious in Indie Books.

I'll go over these suggestions, thank you!
Lin2412 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert