Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Library Management

Notices

Old 11-29-2011, 02:33 PM   #1
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 4, Kobo Aura H2O, Kindle Fire HD, Aluratek Libre
Can I delete from library AND computer?

Most of my other media managers (music and movies) have a option in their library management that lest me delete a file both from the library, and from the computer. That way, the next time I scan the Music folder for any new files, the ones I deleted from the library will not be re-added, since they're no longer on the hard drive.

If Calibre has this ability, I have completely failed to find it. Where is it? I delete books from my library for good reason, and I don't want them added back in every single time I scan my My Books folder for the ones I just downloaded from either the library or my DRM-free indie stores.
ScalyFreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 02:42 PM   #2
smoothrolla
smoothrolla began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
im pretty sure if you remove a book it is removed from the file structure of the library.
maybe your getting confused with your inital structure of books you used to add to calibre, and the calibre library
smoothrolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-29-2011, 03:54 PM   #3
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe
ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ScalyFreak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothrolla View Post
im pretty sure if you remove a book it is removed from the file structure of the library.
maybe your getting confused with your inital structure of books you used to add to calibre, and the calibre library
I think it's removed from the file structure of hte library. What I want is to also remove it from the My Books folder that all my ebooks are downloaded to. I don't want a dozen of already returned ebooks to be reloaded into the Calibre library every time I scan that folder for new purchases.
Old 11-30-2011, 02:11 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScalyFreak View Post
I think it's removed from the file structure of hte library. What I want is to also remove it from the My Books folder that all my ebooks are downloaded to. I don't want a dozen of already returned ebooks to be reloaded into the Calibre library every time I scan that folder for new purchases.
Unlike the other apps you refer to calibre does not scan for books. Calibre imports books into its domain, the calibre library. Since calibre doesn't scan for books it has no idea what is or isn't in your My Books folder nor does it care what is in any other folder outside of the calibre library itself. Those folders are beyond calibre's control and will have to be tended to manually.

When you remove a book from calibre it will be deleted from calibre's library DB and and from the only area of your computer that calibre controls, calibre's library folder.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:57 AM   #5
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Unlike the other apps you refer to calibre does not scan for books. Calibre imports books into its domain, the calibre library. Since calibre doesn't scan for books it has no idea what is or isn't in your My Books folder nor does it care what is in any other folder outside of the calibre library itself. Those folders are beyond calibre's control and will have to be tended to manually.

When you remove a book from calibre it will be deleted from calibre's library DB and and from the only area of your computer that calibre controls, calibre's library folder.
Hm. That makes sense... and I have noticed that Calibre only imports books when I tell it to. So is there no way to stop it from re-importing returned library books then? Aside from manually hunting down and deleting the files...?
Advert
Old 12-01-2011, 12:44 PM   #6
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
As dwanthny said - just take care of it yourself with a simple workflow. Create a folder where your new books go into, and as soon as you have imported them all, just move them to a different folder so your import folder is empty again.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 02:20 PM   #7
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
As dwanthny said - just take care of it yourself with a simple workflow. Create a folder where your new books go into, and as soon as you have imported them all, just move them to a different folder so your import folder is empty again.
How would that work with library books? With the library books, OverDrive give me an acsm file. I open that file in Sony's Reader Library and when I do, that downloads the ePub file that is the actual book. Problem is, Ready Library puts the library book in it's own folder, that already has hundreds of eBooks. When I return the book to the library it's removed from my Reader Library list, but not from the Calibre library or from the RL-folder. I delete it from the Calibre library, but it's still in the Reader Library folder.

Going to the Reader Library folder to manually delete the file is time-consuming, since the ePub file itself doesn't always have a name that makes it easy to identify the book. And since I use Calibre to manage my Sony books, when Calibre imports from that folder by scanning for new books, it grabs the expired/returned library books again.

I'm looking for a way to cut that step, by being able to tell either piece of software "please delete this title from the hard drive as well". And since asking Sony would be an utter waste of time, I thought I'd ask here.
Old 12-01-2011, 03:14 PM   #8
kiwidude
Calibre Plugins Developer
kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kiwidude ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I don't have library books so someone who does may have a better suggestion. However is there any need to keep books in the Reader Library folder after downloading, if your intent is to manage them via Calibre?

If not, then why not just delete them out of the Reader Library folder after adding to Calibre? Or does the Reader Library application complain if you remove files from its folder the next time you use it?

The only other alternative that comes to mind would be to sort the Reader Library folder by date, so your most recent downloads would hopefully be at the top. Copy those to an import folder, and delete from that import folder after adding to Calibre. That still leaves your books in Reader Library after you eventually delete from Calibre, but managing a Sony application's content is not exactly in Calibre's scope.
kiwidude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 03:34 PM   #9
ScalyFreak
Sith Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwidude View Post
The only other alternative that comes to mind would be to sort the Reader Library folder by date, so your most recent downloads would hopefully be at the top. Copy those to an import folder, and delete from that import folder after adding to Calibre. That still leaves your books in Reader Library after you eventually delete from Calibre, but managing a Sony application's content is not exactly in Calibre's scope.
This is close to the way I'm doing it now, and it works. I was mainly hoping for a shortcut.

No worries.