Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-12-2011, 01:03 AM   #1
Warmskin
Warmskin began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
PDF to Word?

I recently bought a Nook color and I'm still learning. I have a pretty good knowledge of computers, but I'm completely new to the whole e-book scene. I have *not* rooted my nook. Here's my question... I don't like the look or ease of use of PDF files that I've ported over to my device. *Large* PDFs are the worst because they are basically unreadable when you 'fit to screen' and zooming in makes them very sluggish to use (a long time to go to the next page and the images get split up before they settle down and become readable at a decent point size that you can read. I'm talking about large files with lots of graphics/text. I've converted some of these PDFs using Calibre to Nook's standard e-pub format, but they get messed up with pictures and text mixed up sometimes. I've noticed that files I've made or downloaded in 'Word' (.doc) look great on the nook and format themselves perfectly after being zoomed in. So, I'd love to convert my PDF files to Word. I can use many programs out there for this and they all convert the files successfully (on my computer). The problem is that when I copy these files to my nook they just won't work. So, does anyone know of a program (ideally free - but, I'll pay if I have to) that will convert a PDF to Word and *work* correctly on the nook? If Calibre does it, I can't see how. It doesn't have an option for PDF to Word, or have I missed something? Calibre looks like a great program, but it is a bit intimidating at first. But, I'll keep working at it. *Any* help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks very much.
Warmskin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2011, 09:23 PM   #2
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
PDF conversion to ePub or MOBI is a hit or miss, not recommended. In Calibre's website PDF to any other format is listed as the worse possible conversion's path.

In terms of hardware, Sony ereader, iPad and even Kindle are more suitable as native PDF readers than Nook.

If rooted, I would recommend repliGo, but still converting PDF to other format won't give you good results anyway, no matter what reader you will use.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert