Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 11-04-2012, 12:30 PM   #1
Devon
Enthusiast
Devon began at the beginning.

Device: iPad, Kindle
PDF and italics

Whenever I convert something from PDF, I have to manually (search and replace) the end bracket for italics whenever it is with a '<br>'. I have to replace '</i> <br>' or '</i><br>' with '</i> ', otherwise the italics continue until the next page brake. This has been happening for the last two releases of Calibre.

Is there something I can do in Preferences, so I don't have to manually do this every time?
Devon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 01:31 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=186697
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #3
Devon
Enthusiast

I'm sorry, I didn't post a sample because it happens to all my PDF's with italics.
Here is a random book I downloaded - I have manually fixed all my books

Here is an example: Check page 90 of 1395, right before part VI

Moderator Notice
Copyrighted Material Removed

</i> <br> replaced with </i>

<br>
<hr>

<A name=[0-9][0-9][0-9]></a><b> </b><br>
<b> </b><br>
<b> </b><br>
<br>
replaced with nothing

<br>
<hr>

<A name=[0-9][0-9]></a><b> </b><br>
<b> </b><br>
<b> </b><br>
<br>
replaced with nothing

<br>
<hr>

<A name=[0-9]></a><b> </b><br>
<b> </b><br>
<b> </b><br>
<br>
replaced with nothing.

The last three don't affect the italics but I included them because I used them.

Last edited by ldolse; 11-04-2012 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-04-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Please don't post Copyright material to the forums. Kovid provided you that reference for a reason - that is the correct and legal way to provide samples to developers to fix. The problem you mention has been raised by several users, but none of them have provided a bug report with enough detail to fix it.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 08:39 PM   #5
ldolse
Wizard
ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.ldolse is an accomplished Snipe hunter.

Device: PRS-650, iPhone
Try Changing the line unwrap factor under pdf input to 0.20 and disable line unwrapping under heuristics - see if that fixes the problem.

Last edited by ldolse; 11-04-2012 at 09:20 PM.
ldolse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2012, 10:46 PM   #6
Devon
Enthusiast

Sorry about the copyrighted material. I randomly downloaded a pdf book from another site, I hardly even looked at it - only how it converted. It was a free download.

I will try your suggestions.

Thank you.