Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 03-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #31
Pose
Pose began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Shoot, I only got around to downloading it today and it just cut out 30 minutes left in the download.

"This account's public links are generating too much traffic and have been temporarily disabled!"

Looks like it's down now! Can anyone else that has downloaded it upload it to Dropbox and post another public link possibly?
Pose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 06:55 PM   #32
Ladyrixx
Zealot
Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ladyrixx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pocket Pro, Kobo Mini, Nook Glowlight 2, Kobo Forma
Thank you soooooo much!!! My Vox is up and running after an hour with the gdiskdump! I'd been going back and forth with Kobo for two weeks.
Ladyrixx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 12:16 PM   #33
pcampbell
pcampbell began at the beginning.

Device: kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ladyrixx View Post
Thank you soooooo much!!! My Vox is up and running after an hour with the gdiskdump! I'd been going back and forth with Kobo for two weeks.
Awesome! Hope it helps others too!

Also, if someone could turn it into a decent torrent that would be great --Please thank you
pcampbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 03:34 PM   #34
batteraziiz
batteraziiz began at the beginning.

If one wants to do this in windows, I can unzip the .gz in Winrar and grab the files, but before putting them on the internal SD card that I removed, windows wants me to format the SD.. Should I go Fat or NTFS?
batteraziiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 04:04 PM   #35
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: kobo mini, nexus 7 (2012), kobo vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by batteraziiz View Post
If one wants to do this in windows, I can unzip the .gz in Winrar and grab the files, but before putting them on the internal SD card that I removed, windows wants me to format the SD.. Should I go Fat or NTFS?
First post states you need to do this in linux.
mr_nobody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 05:42 PM   #36
batteraziiz
batteraziiz began at the beginning.

I read the first post, naturally.. But there has to be a way to perform this in windows.. Running Linux through VMWare, perhaps. I don't wish to install a separate boot of linux.
batteraziiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #37
mr_nobody
Evangelist
mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.mr_nobody is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Sure, you can run linux in a vm. It's still linux. But you need to use an os that understands linux filesystems, ie: not windows.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:24 AM   #38
drunkmonk
drunkmonk began at the beginning.

No downloads work!!!

Yesterday the image partially downloaded and then stopped. I am in desparate need of this file to fix my kobo vox. Does anyone have the ability to upload somewhere else??? Or perhaps they can provide a solution that works from the backup .img files stored on the sd card.

It's my understanding that these backup files wont work correctly and that you need the .img file being downloaded here. Can anyone comment on this?
drunkmonk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:45 AM   #39
Kboland
Zealot
Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kboland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox, iPod Touch, Samsung Galaxy Nexus
You could try the official update file that Kobo released this morning (about an hour ago). Took 3 minutes to download.
Kboland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2012, 10:47 AM   #40
drunkmonk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
You could try the official update file that Kobo released this morning (about an hour ago). Took 3 minutes to download.
Thanks kboland. Just downloaded the update and will try to sideload it as kobo suggests. I will let you guys know if this works!
Old 03-20-2012, 02:10 PM   #41
drunkmonk

Update - need .img (not update file)

So tried the Kobovox update as kboland suggested. First added it to the internal SD card and restarted. No update occurred.

Then installed the update from an external 2gb micro SD. It rebooted and installed and restarted without an issue. Once it restarted it went back to all the old settings and issues.

It appears that the internal SD card is resisting change!!! So I think my next step is to wipe the partitions but if I do this I want to use the source image from this site. Again, can anybody reload the .img.gz image so that I can use it??? I'm running out of options at this point! Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Has anyone wiped their partitions btw? If so what was your approach/progs you used. I'm looking for a tried and true method to get this functioning.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:22 PM   #42
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmonk View Post
Has anyone wiped their partitions btw? If so what was your approach/progs you used. I'm looking for a tried and true method to get this functioning.
Once you get the image, you _need_ to follow the steps listed in the first post from linux. Using dd (or whatever graphical util he recommended) will wipe the disk and set up the partitions properly.
Old 03-20-2012, 02:30 PM   #43
drunkmonk

Thank you sir! That is good to know! Is it possible though that my microSD card is locked in some way that would prevent write permission... i.e. a security feature within Kobo Vox that secures a file folder from deletion if you don't have permissions? There are a few folders that come up (i.e. don't panic, lost+cache, etc) that appear to have permission protection. Any advice there?

Otherwise, I have everything set to go in linux but again it's just getting a stable download location for the .img.gz file. Anybody want to retry uploading this to a new link???

Btw, once I attain this illusive file are we to extract the .gz file and then use the .img file or just use the .gz file for the gdisk file source?
Old 03-20-2012, 03:17 PM   #44
mr_nobody
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkmonk View Post
Is it possible though that my microSD card is locked in some way that would prevent write permission.

Btw, once I attain this illusive file are we to extract the .gz file and then use the .img file or just use the .gz file for the gdisk file source?
Re: first item, it seems improbable.

Re: second item, good question. He did not mention unzipping it in the instructions but one would imagine that's what you are supposed to do.
Old 03-20-2012, 03:27 PM   #45
drunkmonk

Thanks again. I will try to get this file... unzip the .img and load via gdisk. Any takers re: a link to the original file posted???