Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-10-2011, 09:47 AM   #1
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
Got My Touch !!

Just wanted to say i walked into chapters this morning and picked up 2 black kobo's.
the box is nice, similar to the old one but thinner and slightly wider.
i have not taken it out of the package yet, just sitting at work staring at it. will do a lunch unboxing. glad to have it though, can't wait to load books on and start reading.

i was told on thursday to go in saturday to pick it up but glad i went today.

the girl said they only had black and white but i wanted black all the way anyway.

will post more thoughts when unboxed, feel free to share how you feel about your new kobo
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:53 AM   #2
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Got one at 9:30 am sharp for my husband, for father's day. It appears so much smaller than the WiFi than I would have guessed from reading the specs. I also got the black book-style case for him but I like the one that I have for mine better, since it folds back completely; so if he agrees we'll return it and wait for someone to come out with the equivalent of mine. I will open it and preload it with books this weekend when he's away, but can't do it now as I expect him home soon.
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post
Got one at 9:30 am sharp for my husband, for father's day. It appears so much smaller than the WiFi than I would have guessed from reading the specs. I also got the black book-style case for him but I like the one that I have for mine better, since it folds back completely; so if he agrees we'll return it and wait for someone to come out with the equivalent of mine. I will open it and preload it with books this weekend when he's away, but can't do it now as I expect him home soon.
i did notice a bunch of new covers there and in new colors as well that i haven't seen before.
i use the black sleeve with the kobo logo stitched in white. (roots case)
i've been pondering the book case for quite some time but maybe i'll go back today and pick it up after work. my wifi sits in the sleeve for now and that'll be pawned off to another relative soon.

did you get your case at chapters or online?
Old 06-10-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I got the case for my original Kobo on eBay - it's leather (or leather-like), and has a magnetic clasp. The clasp serves to keep it flipped open, perfectly flat. I can't see the exact same case on eBay right now.

The Touch case doesn't have a clasp; and it has a fabric interior, which I'd be afraid of getting grungy after a while. The elastics also appear to be wimpier but that might be sufficient for this much-smaller device. I expect it will be a while, if ever, before one similar to mine would be available for the Touch.

Edit: So husband got delayed and I decided to open it and set it up. Smooth sailing so far. The instructions and software are very clear. Download and install desktop from kobobooks.com; ran it and the eReader software was updated; now downloading my 69-book library, of which I'd say he'll only read 3 or 4 books (we have wildly dissimilar tastes - mine mystery, his fantasy). I've asked my son for recommendations for a new book that he'd actually really like so he can really get hooked.

Last edited by dmacmart; 06-10-2011 at 10:37 AM.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:57 AM   #5
siraks
use the force

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmacmart View Post

Edit: So husband got delayed and I decided to open it and set it up. Smooth sailing so far. The instructions and software are very clear. Download and install desktop from kobobooks.com; ran it and the eReader software was updated; now downloading my 69-book library, of which I'd say he'll only read 3 or 4 books (we have wildly dissimilar tastes - mine mystery, his fantasy). I've asked my son for recommendations for a new book that he'd actually really like so he can really get hooked.
i'm going to go to indigo today after work, i bought 2 today so my cousin will need a case. so that'll give me another opportunity to peruse the selection once again.
i thought the new touch cases were the same as the kobo wifi cases? don't they fold behind even though they have material on the inside?

recently i've read the
Monster Hunter International books, amazing
reading Hard Magic by the same author, amazing
those can be considered fantasy i think.
author is Larry Correia, you can purchase the ebooks on the baen website.

also...super jealous that you opened it lol. can't wait for lunch to arrive so i can start pressing things and seeing how it works. i'll only be using the desktop app to update the software but then off to calibre i go.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:03 AM   #6
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by siraks View Post
can't wait for lunch to arrive so i can start pressing things and seeing how it works.
We all do!
When your heart comes to proper place, would you take some time
and write a review? Comparison of wifi and touch. Pictures. Side by
side. Finally, I'd be glad to know if there is a manual to download.
Best regards all.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:20 AM   #7
Mithradyr
Enthusiast
Mithradyr doesn't litterMithradyr doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Touch
Just got a kobo touch this morning and I'm loving it . This is my first ereader and I'm quite impressed so far. One thing I haven't seen posted anywhere yet is that the Kobo Touch uses a partial refresh, just like the Nook Simple Touch Reader. It does a full refresh only every 6 page turns. There is a small amount visible ghosting, but it is very minor and hasn't really bothered me at all. So far I haven't found an option to adjust this, but I hope that Kobo will add it to the settings in a future firmware update.
Mithradyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:21 AM   #8
Dedale
Guest Star
Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.Dedale knows what is on the back of the AURYN.

Device: Sony PRS-700, Nook STR
Quote:
recently i've read the
Monster Hunter International books, amazing
reading Hard Magic by the same author, amazing
those can be considered fantasy i think.
author is Larry Correia, you can purchase the ebooks on the baen website.
I've just checked the author wordpress and it seems nice indeed! Thanks
Dedale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:31 AM   #9
dmacmart
Fanatic

First impressions: Seems fast, search results pop up as you are typing VERY quickly, tap to turn page works well. Swipe with left thumb to page forward works, but carefully- sometimes it registers as a tap to previous page.

Tap in centre brings up bottom menu; tap on <-> icon brings up navigation options; icons for previous, next chapter; and a slider for going to page in a chapter.

I'm sure there is more to find ...
Old 06-10-2011, 11:42 AM   #10
darkhatreader
darkhatreader began at the beginning.

Device: none
What sort of font and paragraph customization options are there? Does it support embedded fonts?
darkhatreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:45 AM   #11
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithradyr View Post
Just got a kobo touch this morning and I'm loving it . This is my first ereader and I'm quite impressed so far. One thing I haven't seen posted anywhere yet is that the Kobo Touch uses a partial refresh, just like the Nook Simple Touch Reader. It does a full refresh only every 6 page turns. There is a small amount visible ghosting, but it is very minor and hasn't really bothered me at all. So far I haven't found an option to adjust this, but I hope that Kobo will add it to the settings in a future firmware update.
I'm sure they will fix it if enough complaints are made

Welcome to MR!
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:47 AM   #12
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mithradyr View Post
It does a full refresh only every 6 page turns. There is a small amount visible ghosting, but it is very minor and hasn't really bothered me at all. So far I haven't found an option to adjust this, but I hope that Kobo will add it to the settings in a future firmware update.
So that means the black flash occurs every six pages? Partial refresh to me is a turnoff, but everything else about the device sounds great so far.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:51 AM   #13
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Quote:
i did notice a bunch of new covers there and in new colors as well that i haven't seen before.
i use the black sleeve with the kobo logo stitched in white. (roots case)
i've been pondering the book case for quite some time but maybe i'll go back today and pick it up after work. my wifi sits in the sleeve for now and that'll be pawned off to another relative soon.

did you get your case at chapters or online?
I have 2 book-style cases for the Kobo from Chapters. I use one of them for my Kindle

I have the Moleskine cover, it's a hard case but a little heavy with the notebook that came with it. It does provide good protection though.

I have the other book-style one (my Kindle is in it) but I find it's too flimsy. If something were to drop on the cover, it would definitely break my screen.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #14
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoran View Post
We all do!
When your heart comes to proper place, would you take some time
and write a review? Comparison of wifi and touch. Pictures. Side by
side. Finally, I'd be glad to know if there is a manual to download.
Best regards all.
Touch Manual
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 AM   #15
Mostly Math
Groupie
Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mostly Math ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (loaned out), KoboTouch (given away), KoboVox, KoboGlo, AuraHD
I got mine and the only thing that I can't seem to work out yet is the read while charging option. Is that option available and if so what am I doing wrong.

Otherwise I LOVE IT!
Mostly Math is offline   Reply With Quote