Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 04-03-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Forum Etiquette

Question: Does refusing to use the "multi quote" option count as spamming a thread?

I have been on other forums where it is viewed as such (or is at least considered rude), and am wondering what the policy is here at MobileRead.

Personally, I try to use the "multi quote" option where applicable, and will only double post if a certain amount of time has past (say half an hour or more).
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:48 PM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
No, not using multiple-quote is not considered to be rude. Its use is entirely optional.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 01:56 PM   #3
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ok. Thank you for the quick response. I'll just have to get use to people not using it, then. It was driving me a little batty - like nails on a chalk board.
Old 04-03-2011, 02:59 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
I personally think that using the multi-quote function is being more considerate of other members than posting several single-quote posts that are related to the same topic.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:00 PM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
Ok. Thank you for the quick response. I'll just have to get use to people not using it, then. It was driving me a little batty - like nails on a chalk board.
ditto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
I personally think that using the multi-quote function is being more considerate of other members than posting several single-quote posts that are related to the same topic.
absolutely. it is annoying as all get out
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 03:04 PM   #6
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
I agree wholeheartedly!
Old 04-03-2011, 04:43 PM   #7
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
To represent the other side here: I'm more in favor of double posts, for me, not using the "multi quote" option doesn't count as spamming a thread or as being rude.
I think that double posts may increase the readability of a thread, especially if the quoted posts are not tightly related or if one addresses the author(s) of the quoted post(s) directly.
Reading a single post that is more than 30 cm long and contains more quotes than answers is no great fun, too, and sometimes really hard work.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:06 PM   #8
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
I'm so very grateful that things like this don't bother me.

No offense intended to those with strong opinions on the topic.... I'm sure I get het up about random things, but quotes on a forum aren't one of them.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #9
hidari
MR Drone
hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hidari ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360+, Huawei MP5, Libra H20
Have to agree with Billi...... personally do not care either way but I find multi- quoting annoying at times because some feel they have to form opinions on everything that is written instead of the pertinent points of the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
To represent the other side here: I'm more in favor of double posts, for me, not using the "multi quote" option doesn't count as spamming a thread or as being rude.
I think that double posts may increase the readability of a thread, especially if the quoted posts are not tightly related or if one addresses the author(s) of the quoted post(s) directly.
Reading a single post that is more than 30 cm long and contains more quotes than answers is no great fun, too, and sometimes really hard work.
hidari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
nohmi2
Pensively observing.
nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nohmi2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Varied.
Quote:
Originally Posted by doreenjoy View Post
I'm so very grateful that things like this don't bother me.

No offense intended to those with strong opinions on the topic.... I'm sure I get het up about random things, but quotes on a forum aren't one of them.

I agree with you.

For me, I find that 'shouting' on a forum is extremely rude. It's comparable

to the 'look at me' syndrome.

Cheers
nohmi2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I prefer one post. I don't particularly mind two posts. When someone has three or more (I think the most I've seen was six) in a row, on the other hand, that's way too many.

I think it's mostly attributable to people who read a post and have to reply to it right away instead of reading the rest of the thread, where it may a) already have been replied to, or b) could merit a response in conjunction with several others, possibly not actually using direct quotes from any. It comes across to me as a sign of childishness, the style of a little kid who has to show his mother something right this instant. It's spammy and it's rude.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 04:10 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
It was driving me a little batty - like nails on a chalk board.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
ditto.
absolutely. it is annoying as all get out
I am 100% with you guys.
It is extremely annoying and selfish to post 5 posts in a row instead of using multi-quote feature.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
I think that double posts
If it were mere double posts
Some members posts 4-6 posts in a row and they do it all the time. I find it even more weird that some members repeatedly requested multi-quote feature, demanded in fact. When the feature has been implemented they blatantly refuse to use it.

What does it say about human nature?

Last edited by astra; 04-04-2011 at 04:13 AM.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:01 AM   #13
netseeker
sleepless reader
netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.netseeker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, PB 360° & 302, nook wi-fi, Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I am 100% with you guys.
It is extremely annoying and selfish to post 5 posts in a row instead of using multi-quote feature.
On the other hand it is often easier to quote and reply a single quoted post because you don't have to remove all unrelated passages that were intended to other users.
netseeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:25 AM   #14
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by netseeker View Post
On the other hand it is often easier to quote and reply a single quoted post because you don't have to remove all unrelated passages that were intended to other users.
That's the point.
It is easier for the poster, i.e. inconsiderate, selfish.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 AM   #15
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
As as regular poster who's only just been alerted to the presence of the multi-quote button by this thread, I feel a) grateful, and b) a bit embarrassed.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote