Notices

Old 08-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #1
.rob.
gatherer of werdz
.rob. began at the beginning.

Device: jetBook
calibre + jetBook.... where's the love?

Ok......

I have a jetBook (not lite) that I love and care for more than myself.

I have collected more than 1800 books over the last 8 months. calibre has been a steadfast friend through it all.. ..until now.

I would 'find' files from any source I could download from, [add] them to calibre, [convert] them to epub, and then send them to my jetBook. From there, I organize them into sub-folders by genre and then author through the Linux file manager on my PC.

All things worked very well (except for DRM) until jB's most recent upgrade to .34m. I only up'd to .34m to read the DRM and see what pdf reflow looked like.

I am now able to read (open) the DRM and certain PDF's, but ALL of my converted epub's 'Failed to open file!'

Does ANYONE know what's going on, or even better, what to do about it!?!?!

PLEASE.....

Last edited by .rob.; 08-10-2010 at 10:03 PM.
.rob. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Shouldn't you be posting this in the jetbook forum, since their firmware upgrade has apparently broken the epub viewer?
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 12:28 AM   #3
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
Over on the Ectaco JetBook Forum, most usesr advise against sideloading (using a USB cable) the JetBook and JBL. Instead, use a card reader on your computer and use calibre to load the card then move the card to the JB.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #4
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by .rob. View Post
Does ANYONE know what's going on, or even better, what to do about it!?!
Yes to both.

What's going on is that calibre was setup to honor Jetbook's screwy file naming for text files and defaults to placing a # sign in between the title and the author's name. With the recent upgrade Jetbook will no longer open epubs with a file name that includes a # sign in the name. If you take out the # sign then the title/author for text files don't display in their normal fashion.

What to do about it. Use the Connect to folder feature under the Connect/Share icon. This feature will allow you to place books in the folder on your jetbook without the # sign and your ePubs will work again.

Jetbook's inconsistency in dealing with naming their various file types is a headache for all its users.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Fitzgerald View Post
Over on the Ectaco JetBook Forum, most usesr advise against sideloading (using a USB cable) the JetBook and JBL. Instead, use a card reader on your computer and use calibre to load the card then move the card to the JB.
There are two reasons why folks say to place the SD card in a card reader instead of hooking up the reader to transfer books via a USB cable.
1. The Jetbook uses USB 1.1 and consequently is slower then we are use to.
2. The Jetbook will enter sleep mode while connected to the USB port and stop communicating with the computer. You should turn off the sleep mode option prior to connecting via USB.
Taking these two bits of information into account using a USB cable to load your books is fine.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 08-11-2010 at 01:46 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 02:15 AM   #5
.rob.
gatherer of werdz

Oh my lord,,, I think I just had a heart ATTACK! (No offense to anyone's religion and/or cardiac state)

dwanthny, if what you say is true, and I have heard whisperings of the file naming thingy before, then I owe you, my jB owes you, and ALL my friends and loved ones (tech savvy and otherwise) owe you! HUGE!

I'm not able to play around with it right now, but I will definitely be trying what you've suggested.... THANKYOU!!!!

...and kovid,
calibre is still the most enjoyable and most engaging ebook organizer I have been able to find. I refuse to stop using it, and plan to do whatever I must to continue to be able to use it.

That being said, ecTaco told me much the same thing when I asked about the upgrade/convert thing::: to paraphrase, 'it's the other product, not ours'. I don't really care what did what, I just want my calibre library to get along with my jBook again.

And since the updates for both came out aeround the same time, and I up'd both at the same time, then discovered a problem, I had no idea what was going on.

But don't worry, man, I still support both products wholeheartedly and suggest them openly to any and all who might listen.

Thank you all,
(kovid, dwanthny, and jerry)
{and especially my girlfriend for getting me the darn thing in the first place!}
KEEP UP THE GOOD WORK, all,
-rob.
Old 08-12-2010, 08:35 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by .rob. View Post
dwanthny, if what you say is true, and I have heard whisperings of the file naming thingy before, then I owe you, my jB owes you, and ALL my friends and loved ones (tech savvy and otherwise) owe you! HUGE!
Since I don't have a jetbook I can't verify this, but I followed a thread between Kovid and a jetbook user where they troubleshot this problem through to the conclusion I presented. The jetbook user reported success after removing the # sign.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 09:30 AM   #7
.rob.
gatherer of werdz

dw,

Well thank you for relating all the info.

I just took a .lit file that I had converted into epub and had attempted to read on my jB with no success, and moved it to the Books folder via your suggestion (Connect/Share etc.).

Success!!!!

Thank you. That just saved me the mountain of an arduous task of individually finding which epub's were converted, and which were original. (epub's, non-converted, from feedbooks.com work fine).

I guess all the headache is what I get for not going with a company like Sony that has the $$$ to r&d the heck out of things. Despite the aggravation, I still stand by my jB, though.

Thanks again.