Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Workshop

Notices

Old 06-19-2010, 03:33 PM   #1
Raryn
Raryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
Which format has the least onerous DRM for my purposes?

Hello all,

I am interested in buying an ebook of First Aid for the USMLE Step I, and its available in quite a few different formats, and I was wondering which one would be best for my purposes:

http://www.ebooks.com/ebooks/book_di...asp?IID=510258 has it in MobiPocket Reader, PDF for Digital Editions, and ePub for Digital Editions.

http://www.diesel-ebooks.com/cgi-bin...010-eBook.html also has it in Mobi, Adobe, and ePub, with what looks like slightly different restrictions.

http://www.ereadable.com/scripts/bro...212&source=P25 has it in PDF and ePub.

And Amazon has it in Kindle format.

My big thing is this: The book is formatted very specifically, with a wide variety of images and different tables, etc, all over it. I have a scanned PDF of it, but the text recognition for it is really quite bad, and running it through any of the professional quality OCRs I have is still way more trouble than its worth, and does not preserve the formatting.

I'd like to have it in a format where I have the text with perfect (or close to) fidelity, without messing with the actual formatting of the pages. Not being able to ctrl+f to find text I'm looking for would be a HUGE minus. I'd also like the ability to delete the pages that I don't need from the document (about 1/3 of it is irrelevant for my purposes). Finally, the ability to copy/paste out of the document would be great.

I don't know if this is all possible, but which format would you recommend for my purposes? Alternatively, which format would be easiest to rip the DRM off of and just convert it to a high quality PDF? (I have access to a Mac and a PC, and can get whatever tools I need to)

I wish I could find somewhere where I could just buy a watermarked DRM-free PDF, and I'd be quite willing to pay, but unfortunately not
Raryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 08:13 PM   #2
Raryn
Raryn began at the beginning.

Device: none
I forgot to mention: The ability to take notes in it would be great too. And eventually I might print it, but thats after I take all the notes.
Raryn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert