Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-09-2009, 01:44 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
MobileReference's huge collections of WORKS

Mobilereference is a company that packages together a number of Author collections.

I recently purchased two: Wilkie Collins and Anthony Trollope, and I can tell you that I'm VERY impressed by these. They're not perfect, and they're not as elegantly packaged as some of the collections here on MobileRead, but consider these points:

Imagine 50+ novels in one file, with cross links based on Chronological and Title, and further divided into Novels, Short Stories, and Plays. It's the idea of having 50 some-odd works by one author - rather than 50 files (and we all know how crazy it is on the Kindle because there's no Folder system - and being able to go to any individual work with just a few clicks. If there's one failing in these collections (and I'm not really sure I would classify it as a failing), it's that the Chapers are not hyperlinked. For me, this is not failing, as I don't read by "chapters," but rather by works.

Another plus is the price: For $4.79 this is a very real bargain.

Someone here put together a large number of Wilkie Collins titles, but they're scattered all over the place. I put together a number of Anthony Trollope titles myself, but I much prefer these incredibly large Author Collections from MobileReference, since they seem to suit the way I read.

I can highly recommend the two I purchased, and I'll be purchasing more in the very near future.

Has anyone else bought any of these and would like to comment on the quality and presentation of the offerings?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2009, 03:37 PM   #2
Mike L
Wizard
Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mike L ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Samsung Galaxy
Dr. Bob,

I agree completely. My first purchase from the Kindle Store was the Mobile Reference Classic Mystery Collection. It contains -- I don't know -- well over a hundred novels and stories, including a few which (I think) are still in copyright.

The formatting isn't great, but it's adequate. There are two separate ToCs: one is a straight list of titles, the other is organised by author. The authors' biographies are also referenced from the Toc (these are the usual Wikipedia extracts, but many of them include a picture of the author).

Another bonus is that the Sherlock Holmes stories include the original Sidney Paget illustrations.

I also agree that it's good to have so many titles in one place, rather than cluttering up the Kindle Home pages.

I'll definitely buy more of these collections -- that is, if I ever manage to finish this one.
Mike L is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert