Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #1
juicymixx
juicymixx began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
Talking client side imagemap in epub questions

Hey everyone,

Well I've been using my nook with Aldiko for a while now, and I've been happily reading free public domain epub books from Project Gutenberg and Google Books, and I've gotten into the habit of cleaning them up with Sigil and Calibre before transferring them to my nook...

Lately I've been cleaning/working on older books from Google Books where the table of contents is an image. I used to retype this TOC and add links to the correct pages (using html anchors), so I would have a (redundant) TOC page, along with the normal TOC using headings. (I thought it was kind of quaint to have a dedicated TOC page...) Some of the older books have very ornate TOC pages, and I got to thinking maybe I could use imagemaps to link the entries in the TOC image to their positions in the text...

I haven't tried this yet, but I went ahead and started looking around for examples, and I really couldn't find any good ones. I've used client side image maps in straight html for the web, but never tried it on an ereader device before. My questions mainly center on how to do this when the image could be resized (based on device)... ereader software (AFAIK) isn't dynamic, so I can't really put logic into the xhtml to recalculate link placement in the imagemap...

Has anyone tried this? Should I keep thinking about this, or move on to something else...? thoughts?

Thanks!
juicymixx is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, imagemap, nook, sigil