Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-28-2013, 11:28 AM   #1
kelfus
kelfus began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Cant read downloaded book?

Hi
Just purchased my first book from Kobo, synched and book appears on my kobo. However when I try to read it it displays the book cover picture then book title at the top of the page and the chapter information at the foot of the page but there is no content on the pages? I can "turn the pages and the chapter information at the foot changes as if I am continuing to read however no page content shows!!
I have down loaded a free book with the same steps I used to down load my purchased book (to ensure it is not something I have down wrong) and it is fine.
I have tried re-synching a number of times, turned the kobo off and on again and tried the "Im reading" and "books" from the menu but I can not get any page content.
I would appreciate any advice
Thankyou
kelfus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 11:35 AM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Short term solution, I'd download the ePub version (assuming there is one) to your PC and sideload it via USB so you can at least read your book and then for a long term solution contact Kobo CS and try getting them to address the problem with the kePub version (the version you get when you sync).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #3
kelfus

Thankyou...I should have mentioned I can read the book on my pc in my kobo library just fine .... it just wont transfer to the reader? I actually have purchased the reader and was downloading books as I wish to give the reader as a gift! So great that I can read the book on the PC but not great that I cant get it onto the kobo?
Old 06-28-2013, 11:44 AM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Downloading with the Kobo software still gets you the kePub version that seems to be giving you problems. What I'm saying is go to your library on the Kobo website and download the regular ePub (requires Adobe Digital Editions if it has DRM).

I'm sure one of the long time Kobo users will be along soon and probably have some other (better?) suggestions for you. It may be something they've encountered before.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 12:26 PM   #5
yhamm
Zealot
yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yhamm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h20
Also keep in mind that some of kobo's books are made for their tablets only and not the eink device. It should indicate on the web page somewhere what formats are available.
yhamm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2013, 02:40 PM   #6
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by yhamm View Post
Also keep in mind that some of kobo's books are made for their tablets only and not the eink device. It should indicate on the web page somewhere what formats are available.
True, but in those cases the book wouldn't normally sync to the eink device at all. At least in my experience they don't.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 02:46 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Have you tried to delete the book and then resync it?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #8
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelfus View Post
I can "turn the pages and the chapter information at the foot changes as if I am continuing to read however no page content shows!!
You can try changing settings in the font settings menu. It does not matter what settings you change, it is just to force the display to update.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 06:55 AM   #9
kelfus

Oh no ... so I deleted the book from the e-reader...opened my library on my pc where my purchased book was, connected my e-reader to the pc...synced...ejected e-reader safely....result is book now deleted from by kobo program on my pc!!!! Shows on the e-reader in the book list but wont load!
Have I lost my purchase? Not happy...this was all a gift for my dad for tomorrow - disaster . Any hints much appreciated. I have contacted Kobo customer service but only an automated reply at this stage
Old 06-29-2013, 06:59 AM   #10
kelfus

Okay I just retrieved the book on adobe digital editions so at least its lost for good! Just trying to get it on the reader now...im not very good at this (LOL)
Old 06-29-2013, 07:00 AM   #11
paola
Wizard
paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.paola ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Pro 903, (beloved Pocketbook 360 RIP), Kobo Mini, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelfus View Post
Oh no ... so I deleted the book from the e-reader...opened my library on my pc where my purchased book was, connected my e-reader to the pc...synced...ejected e-reader safely....result is book now deleted from by kobo program on my pc!!!! Shows on the e-reader in the book list but wont load!
Have I lost my purchase? Not happy...this was all a gift for my dad for tomorrow - disaster . Any hints much appreciated. I have contacted Kobo customer service but only an automated reply at this stage
Perhaps I am stating the obvious, but if you log in the kobo website do you see the book you purchased in your library? If you do, it should be just a matter of syncing again with your device, or downloading the epub, but perhaps this is not what you meant.
paola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2013, 07:50 AM   #12
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Head to the Kobo Books website. After signing in you will see I'm Reading, Purchased and Trash.

Anything you delete will be in the trash. Just select the checkbox next to the book(s) and then the UNDELETE option. This will restore the book and it will re-sync for you.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote