Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #16
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
David - when you say you're integrating Joel's code are you making it an option or is it going to become the way epubs are handled in general by the driver? FWIW my vote would be for optional - then we can switch back if there are problems.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I will admit I'm not at all in favour of the renaming of epub to epub.kepub. I feel that by making it automatic we are creating an entirely new support / stability issue for Kobo.

Making it simple for JQ Public to put each and every book into the wrong renderer engine is not wise.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2013, 07:31 PM   #18
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by latepaul View Post
David - when you say you're integrating Joel's code are you making it an option or is it going to become the way epubs are handled in general by the driver? FWIW my vote would be for optional - then we can switch back if there are problems.
It will definitely be optional. And definitely off by default. And if I could trigger a "Are you really sure you want to do this?" question, I would.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
I will admit I'm not at all in favour of the renaming of epub to epub.kepub. I feel that by making it automatic we are creating an entirely new support / stability issue for Kobo.

Making it simple for JQ Public to put each and every book into the wrong renderer engine is not wise.
That's one of the reasons I have hesitated so far. But, you can force the renderer change by simply adding ".kepub" to the save template. As I said, if I see any problems, I will stop. I thought of one almost as soon as I made my post last night that will be a showstopper if it doesn't work with no other changes.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 02:11 AM   #19
fx3000se
fx3000se began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo mini
Joel Goguen's plugin

I played around with Joel's plugin this weekend. Any epub-book (.kepub) sent to my Kobo Mini had problems remembering the last page read

Disabling the plugin and deleting/re-sending the epub solved the issue ...

Anybody else?
fx3000se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 03:08 AM   #20
ameer
ameer began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch (N905B)
I have this problem of remembering the last page after changing the extension to .kepub.epub, although I changed&copied it manually using windows explorer
any idea to make kobo remember the last page?
ameer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-21-2013, 07:26 AM   #21
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameer View Post
I have this problem of remembering the last page after changing the extension to .kepub.epub, although I changed&copied it manually using windows explorer
This just sounds like the regular bug the latest firmware has.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 07:34 AM   #22
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ameer View Post
I just tested two of my (handmade) kepub.epub files. One remembers the position correctly, the other does not. One difference is that the book that remembers correctly has no margin values defined in the stylesheet, whereas the other has. The position of the margin slider in the font settings menu does not seem to have any effect on this. I did not check other books, so it might just be a coincidence. Try removing margin definitions. If it helps please tell us.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 09:38 AM   #23
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
I just tested two of my (handmade) kepub.epub files. One remembers the position correctly, the other does not. One difference is that the book that remembers correctly has no margin values defined in the stylesheet, whereas the other has. The position of the margin slider in the font settings menu does not seem to have any effect on this. I did not check other books, so it might just be a coincidence. Try removing margin definitions. If it helps please tell us.
Yes, that is the temporary fix for the current firmware bug: set margins to 0 or more easily slide the slider in the book settings when reading all the way down to the left. Then the books will remember the page you're on.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:25 AM   #24
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Yes, that is the temporary fix for the current firmware bug: set margins to 0 or more easily slide the slider in the book settings when reading all the way down to the left. Then the books will remember the page you're on.
This is the work around for epub. Right?
The two cases of kepub.epub that I described are different from that. Book 1 (margins set to greater than 0 in css) never remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position. Book 2 (no margin definition at all in the css) always remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position.
Old 01-22-2013, 11:38 AM   #25
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
This is the work around for epub. Right?
The two cases of kepub.epub that I described are different from that. Book 1 (margins set to greater than 0 in css) never remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position. Book 2 (no margin definition at all in the css) always remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position.
I'm not quite sure what the difference is... to me, it sounds like margins >0 is no page memory and margins = 0 is perfect page memory, in both epubs and kepubs? Or are you saying something else I'm not getting?
Old 01-22-2013, 03:26 PM   #26
tshering
Wizard

Mrs_Often,
I am sorry for being unclear! To my mind the differences are:
1)
Quote:
more easily slide the slider in the book settings when reading all the way down to the left.
does not work for
Quote:
Book 1 (margins set to greater than 0 in css) never remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position.
I understand "irrespective of the slider position" as implying also the position one arrives by sliding the "the slider ... all the way down to the left."
2)
Quote:
margins >0 is no page memory
does not hold in the case of
Quote:
Book 2 (no margin definition at all in the css) always remembers the page, irrespective of the slider position.
By this I mean to say that I can set the margins to >0 by moving the slider to the right without having negative side effects.
But since my observations are made only with respect to 2 books, they might not be indicative of the general situation.
Old 01-22-2013, 03:40 PM   #27
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Aaah right I get it now. Sorry, I didn't understand what you meant with "slider" position. For some reason I was thinking in terms of page-slider, but of course it's the margin slider.

Quote:
Mrs_Often,
I am sorry for being unclear!
No problem, we got it cleared up

Quote:
To my mind the differences are:
1)
does not work for

I understand "irrespective of the slider position" as implying also the position one arrives by sliding the "the slider ... all the way down to the left."
2)
does not hold in the case of

By this I mean to say that I can set the margins to >0 by moving the slider to the right without having negative side effects.
But since my observations are made only with respect to 2 books, they might not be indicative of the general situation.
Okay so there is a big difference with what I was saying, as what I said went against both your examples.

Nevertheless, what you describe might still be the same bug I was describing, only my description was based on only a couple of examples with few details. It may well be that there were no margin specifics in the CSS stylesheet for instances in my examples. What you describe is so similar to "the" bug that I can hardly imagine them being two separate things.

But, then again, maybe they are who knows.
Old 01-22-2013, 05:32 PM   #28
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
@tschering: Have you added the ids into kepub.epubs you tested with? The ids are used for the bookmarking. Without them, it will at best open to the same chapter.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2013, 03:52 AM   #29
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
@tschering: Have you added the ids into kepub.epubs you tested with? The ids are used for the bookmarking. Without them, it will at best open to the same chapter.
Yes, I have. Annotations and highlights are working. TOC is also picked up, even so I use epub 3.0 without ncx fallback file. So ids are there and should be ok.
By the way, last week, I found something interesting about non-showing highlights and annotations in kepub files. Actually I used kepub.epub, but I guess the results might hold for original kepubs too. I will post some information during today.

Edit: Here you go.

Last edited by tshering; 01-23-2013 at 06:43 AM.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:02 PM   #30
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
David, thanks a lot for the tip about the cover. As I edit myself all my ebooks, I don't need to change it in calibre, I can do it before. And I WANT number of pages by chapter, so all my books go to kepub from now on.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
epub, kepub, kobo