Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 03-29-2014, 06:02 AM   #1
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
2 dictionary questions for PB623

I really like my PB 623. One or two small niggles but more than compensated for by the good features. I have a couple of good dictionaries (Spanish-English) in mobi format which I bought for my Kindle. My questions are:
1. Can I use these dictionaries on the PB 623?
2. How do I upload them onto the PB 623.
I would be very appreciative of any help.
I speak English, German, French and Spanish pretty fluently. If you find it easier to answer in any of those languages, please do so.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 01:49 PM   #2
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
The PocketBook devices have their own proprietary format for dictionaries. They provide a program for converting some types of dictionaries to their format. You can download it from the website (it's called something like DictionaryConverter). Doing the conversion properly is rather involved, so I won't go into it here. There are some threads here that discuss the details, and you should look at them. I'm not sure if the converter will work on a Mobi file directly. Perhaps you can deconstruct the Mobi file and pull out the dictionary from within it. Hopefully it will be in one of the standard formats (xdxf, stardict,...) that the converter knows about.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2014, 11:48 AM   #3
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
Perhaps you can deconstruct the Mobi file and pull out the dictionary from within it. Hopefully it will be in one of the standard formats (xdxf, stardict,...) that the converter knows about.
Unfortunately, KindleUnpack doesn't fully support .mobi dictionaries. The tool can generate .html files from DRM-free dictionaries, but all inflections will be lost, which limits the usefulness of decompiled dictionaries.
You'd also have to reformat the file generated by KindleUnpack to the input format expected by the Pocketbook dictionary compiler.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 09:10 AM   #4
Bertolt
Connoisseur
Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Bertolt once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle K4, Kobo mini, Samsung Galaxy Tab
Thank you, Doitsu and rkomar.
Mmmm! It sounds complicated and it would seem that the end result will probably not be satisfactory. So perhaps it is best to consign my precious dictionaries to Room 101 or file them under "rubbish". Pity.
Bertolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:20 AM   #5
vmsda
Enthusiast
vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.vmsda is faster than slow light.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkomar View Post
The PocketBook devices have their own proprietary format for dictionaries...
So where can I buy a modern English Dictionary that will be supported by the reading appl in my PB622? The 1913 Webster which is automatically invoked is hopelessly outdated.
vmsda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 08:18 AM   #6
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmsda View Post
So where can I buy a modern English Dictionary that will be supported by the reading appl in my PB622? The 1913 Webster which is automatically invoked is hopelessly outdated.
Obreey Store.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
623, dictionaries, mobi