Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-18-2011, 12:03 PM   #31
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
The first place to start is in the CSS. Remove everything that is Word garbage. Then fix everything that no correct like all the font declarations and any fixed font size references. Also, you may find you can delete some of the CSS entries and make it look simpler. Then in the XML files, fix the CSS references that you've removed. Also strip out any of the Word garbage. I suggest using Notepad++ as it has tabs and you can load in all the XML at the same time and death/replace all of them at once.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 04:28 AM   #32
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
If I may--for a newb, the best way to START learning how to strip all that crapola might be to start with--dare I say it--BookCreator (or is it BookDesigner? I can never remember the name of that template here on MR). If for no other reason than the user can a) tag all formatting, to preserve italics and bold, and b) strip all the rest of the formatting, and then save and output as filtered html. It won't nuke all the 1800 lines of unnecessary font CSS...but it will eliminate a lot of other crapola, and the user can then work in a good html editor, delete all other unused CSS and start with a reasonably clean file without having spans hung around the neck of every 3rd word.

It's not a "pure" method of learning--but until you have regex down, it's a LOT easier than trying to learn html, css AND regex all on the fly to make a book. Just a thought...

HTH,
Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 05:21 AM   #33
sparkletown
sparkletown began at the beginning.

Device: none
[QUOTE=Hitch;1452143]If I may--for a newb, the best way to START learning how to strip all that crapola might be to start with--dare I say it--BookCreator (or is it BookDesigner? I can never remember the name of that template here on MR). If for no other reason than the user can a) tag all formatting, to preserve italics and bold, and b) strip all the rest of the formatting, and then save and output as filtered html. It won't nuke all the 1800 lines of unnecessary font CSS...but it will eliminate a lot of other crapola, and the user can then work in a good html editor, delete all other unused CSS and start with a reasonably clean file without having spans hung around the neck of every 3rd word.

It's not a "pure" method of learning--but until you have regex down, it's a LOT easier than trying to learn html, css AND regex all on the fly to make a book. Just a thought...

Thanks for that. I checked it out. But Book Designer is for PC 's only! I'm a Mac user - but for all those who can give it a go, heres the link:

https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Book_Designer
sparkletown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 06:20 AM   #34
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
I have posted a link to an interesting article about using the XML stylesheets and the office XML format to produce cleaner code. This is the article.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2011, 08:03 AM   #35
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Just for future readers of this thread, I think Hitch was actually referring to Book Creator (also, as far as I know, only available for Windows PCs), which is a "smart" template for MS Word with automates and simplifies a lot of the processes involved in cleaning up a Word doc and preparing it for conversion to an ebook. There's a thread dedicated to it in the Workshop forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2011, 03:04 AM   #36
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post
Just for future readers of this thread, I think Hitch was actually referring to Book Creator (also, as far as I know, only available for Windows PCs), which is a "smart" template for MS Word with automates and simplifies a lot of the processes involved in cleaning up a Word doc and preparing it for conversion to an ebook. There's a thread dedicated to it in the Workshop forum:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28313
Yes, thank you, Donna, that's what I was referring to!

Sorry, I really never CAN recall the name...I think I sent some poor soul scurrying around looking for it for days once, because I called it BookDesigner, not BookCreator. Yes, it's a macro-laden Word template that works pretty well, although it tends to go gonzo if you happen to have used two styles (specifically, bold AND italics) on any given word(s). Nonetheless, it's pretty handy, and a good tool with which to learn. I have no idea if it works on Macs, sorry.

Thanks again, Donna.

Hitch
Old 03-20-2011, 03:41 AM   #37
DMSmillie
Enquiring Mind
DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'DMSmillie understands when you whisper 'The dog barks at midnight.'

Device: Kindle 3 (WiFi)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Yes, thank you, Donna, that's what I was referring to!

Sorry, I really never CAN recall the name...I think I sent some poor soul scurrying around looking for it for days once, because I called it BookDesigner, not BookCreator.

That was me. It's why I remember which is which, these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hitch View Post
Thanks again, Donna.
No problem Hitch.
DMSmillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 08:02 PM   #38
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMSmillie View Post

That was me. It's why I remember which is which, these days.

No problem Hitch.
Oh, dear.

Man, it's a really good thing that they don't have a negative karma deal here, I'd be hosed. As you can see, I do feel bad about it. I'm glad one of us can remember what it's called.

Thanks again,

H
Old 04-04-2011, 02:39 PM   #39
sparkletown
sparkletown began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks again to all those who helped me on this thread and continue to help all the newbies with their ebooks. I'm ready to upload to lulu at LAST! And hopefully can now offer some advice to others about their ebooks in the future.
sparkletown is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, epub, fix, lulu, sigil