Notices

Old 09-15-2010, 12:52 AM   #1
Kevin527
kevin527
Kevin527 began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
ipad and iphone page sync

hi all,
i thought i had solved the problem (with your help) but for some reason, ipad and iphone will not sync the page I'm reading so that I can pick up either device and start where i last finished. It is so easy with Kindle to jump between but it just doesn't seem to work for books from I tunes. any advice? Thanks...
Kevin527 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:12 PM   #2
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I noticed the same thing. Seems to be a one-way sync only. You would have to somehow let Amazon know where you are in the book and your Kindle would have to have WiFi or 3G left on as you read to keep up the sync.

My advice is to just read different books on each device, or get in the habit of noting the location number, if you insist on only reading one book at a time.

I also noticed the dictionary doesn't work on the iPod like it does on the Kindle. One would have to leave the book and go to the dictionary book; it doesn't seem to be embedded in the reading app like it is in the Kindle.

The iPod app seems to be in its fledgling stage compared to what is on the Kindles.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Before anyone can even try to help, you need to tell us what program you are using to view your eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
I'm using the Kindle app.

Since we're having the same problem, I assume the OP is using it too.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
dwharrison
Info Geek
dwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enoughdwharrison will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS, Kindle 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeremyZ View Post
I'm using the Kindle app.

Since we're having the same problem, I assume the OP is using it too.
He mentions "books from iTunes", which sounds like he's using iBooks, though.

If so, iBooks does sync locations and it does it better than the Kindle app does; at least, it understands that I want to sync my current page and not my last page read.
dwharrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-05-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Kevin527
kevin527

More information on sync problem

Hi All
Sorry but I didn't realize I needed to be more specific about the problem. I purchase books on iTunes and download to computer and then to iPad. Then I also sync books with iPhone. But if I read 20 pages on iPad and then want to continue reading on iPhone, the page I'm at on iPad doesn't automatically appear on iPhone....I used kindle before and it always syncs perfectly with iPhone, asking me if I want to go to most recent page read. No such luck with iPad and iPhone books ....any help appreciated.....thank you
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 AM   #7
Sischa
Evangelist
Sischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it isSischa knows what time it is

Device: Nokia 770, Ilead, Cybook G3, Kindle DX, Kindle 2, iPad, Kindle 3, PW
So for me it sound like you are using the iBook app on your iPad and on your iPhone.
Simple solution for your described problem is, always go back to the bookshelf when you want to stop reading and your device will sync the last read position and every bookmark. On your second device i.e. the iphone you will again start iBook on the bookshelf where you left your device and voila you have the same last read location then on you iPad.

Solution = always go back to your bookshelf before stop reading for the synchronisation (you can see check the top your device for the spinning wheel which stands for intenet traffic to make sure the sync is going on).

Oh yes i don't think i have to say so but make sure you have a internet connection :-)

Your bookmarks or last read location will not synchronize i.e. if you are offline while reading and stop reading and then later go online while browsing the web for example.
Sischa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:56 PM   #8
kathyfitz
Electronics Whore
kathyfitz doesn't litterkathyfitz doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad, iPad mini, iPhone5, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sischa View Post
Solution = always go back to your bookshelf before stop reading for the synchronisation (you can see check the top your device for the spinning wheel which stands for intenet traffic to make sure the sync is going on).
Very good suggestion! But I think just quitting the app will get you there too.
kathyfitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #9
Kevin527
kevin527

Hi everybody,
going back to library before quitting seems to work. Thanks for the advice.

New problem: I have purchased books in iTunes and tried to sync them to iPad and they sinmply don't go onto the iPad, whether I check "Sync all" or "Sync Checked titles." It's obviuosly frustrating because I've bought the book....I can see it there on my computer but it won't download to either iPad or iPhone. Is anyone else experiencing this and can anybody suggest a work-around?

Thanks again
Kevin
Old 10-19-2010, 12:32 AM   #10
lazyartist
lazyartist began at the beginning.

Device: Ipad is my only Computer :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin527 View Post
Hi everybody,
going back to library before quitting seems to work. Thanks for the advice.

New problem: I have purchased books in iTunes and tried to sync them to iPad and they sinmply don't go onto the iPad, whether I check "Sync all" or "Sync Checked titles." It's obviuosly frustrating because I've bought the book....I can see it there on my computer but it won't download to either iPad or iPhone. Is anyone else experiencing this and can anybody suggest a work-around?

Thanks again
Kevin
Im sorry if I missed it but what program on the ipad are you using to read books? Because if you bought a book from itunes, as far as I know, its gona alway try to only sync with ibooks.

Here is what I would try, uncheck sync books, and perform a ipad sync. Then make sure you only have one book reader installed on your ipad and then recheck sync books, with all books selected, and then perform a final sync. I think I had that problem once when I was testing all the different ebook readers on my ipad before I settled on ibooks.
lazyartist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 05:08 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
You don't buy eBooks from iTunes. You buy eBooks with iBooks. And really, buying eBooks from Apple is one of the worst ideas ever.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:29 AM   #12
lazyartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
You don't buy eBooks from iTunes. You buy eBooks with iBooks. And really, buying eBooks from Apple is one of the worst ideas ever.
On the iPad itself you buy through iBooks.

On the pc/Mac you use iTunes.

But I agree, using iTunes/iBooks to buy stuff is not a good idea.
It's better to avoid iTunes as much as possible.
Old 11-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyartist View Post
On the iPad itself you buy through iBooks.

On the pc/Mac you use iTunes.
You cannot buy books from the iBookstore through iTunes. The only way to purchase from the iBookstore is through the iBooks app.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #14
lazyartist

Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
You cannot buy books from the iBookstore through iTunes. The only way to purchase from the iBookstore is through the iBooks app.
Yes you can, and I have. Using iBooks to find books suck, even the iTunes on the iPad makes it hard to find good items. Which is why I use iTunes on my Mac.
Maybe you both need to upgrade your iTunes or something
Old 11-12-2010, 03:58 AM   #15
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyartist View Post
Yes you can, and I have. Using iBooks to find books suck, even the iTunes on the iPad makes it hard to find good items. Which is why I use iTunes on my Mac.
Maybe you both need to upgrade your iTunes or something
You can buy book apps through iTunes, but unless you found an option no-one else has, you cannot use iTunes on your desktop to buy ePub books that will display in iBooks.

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4059:

Quote:
Can I purchase a book from the iBookstore using my computer?

No, the iBookstore is only available through iBooks on iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch at this time.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote