Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-31-2010, 11:21 PM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Free books (Kindle UK/Nook) - One September Morning [Thriller] & More

One September Morning, by Rosalind Noonan, is another Kensington freebie which will probably show up in the other stores soon. Available to both US and Canada from Sony, and to the US from B&N.

Product Description
The moment Abby Fitzgerald sees two soldiers approach her front door, she knows her husband is dead. John Stanton, who gave up his career as a star NFL running back to serve after 9/11, has been killed in Iraq. Suddenly Abby's kitchen is overflowing with casseroles brought by the army wives' club to which she has never really belonged. And her in-laws arrange a lavish funeral at Arlington National Cemetery in spite of Abby's misgivings. John had grown to hate the war even though he loved his country, and Abby can't reconcile the complex man she knew with the version being portrayed by self-serving politicians, military, and the media.

Shell-shocked, Abby strives to cope with her own heartache while comforting John's loved ones, including his mother Sharice, his staunchly anti-war sister Madison, and his bitter younger brother Noah. But amidst her loss is a growing conviction that the truth about John's death is far from over.

That sounds a bit staid, but I'm categorizing this as Thriller because the copyrighted Publishers Weekly review mentions lots of much more exciting plot elements.

ETA: And while I'm mentioning other dual Sony/nook freebies, it looks like all the other Kensington books from earlier are now available in both Sony & B&N stores, with the exception of Demonfire. Unlike the Kindle version, Bake Sale Murder is available to Canadians in the Sony store.

Bake Sale Murder, cozy mystery by Leslie Meier @ Sony @ B&N
Hostile Intent, spy thriller by Michael Walsh@ Sony @ B&N
Lessons From a Younger Lover, steamy romance by Zuri Day @ Sony @ B&N

Last edited by ATDrake; 08-31-2010 at 11:51 PM. Reason: Oops. Wrong author first name. Also, links for books now available in both stores.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2010, 12:15 AM   #2
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
sweet, thanks much
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #3
lacymarie7575
reading about reading ;->
lacymarie7575 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600, BB
holy moly!!! how did you find all of these free books on the reader store??? You must tell me yor secret!!! EXTRA EXTRA KARMA FOR YOU!!!
lacymarie7575 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 04:35 PM   #4
wachuko
eBook Worm
wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wachuko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/ Sony PRS-505/PRS-600 Silver/PRS-T1
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
holy moly!!! how did you find all of these free books on the reader store??? You must tell me yor secret!!! EXTRA EXTRA KARMA FOR YOU!!!
+1 !!
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 07:14 PM   #5
frico
frico began at the beginning.

Device: prs-600 sony
Nice finds

I'm very curious about your successful researches too, how do you find all this gold?
frico is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-02-2010, 07:32 PM   #6
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lacymarie7575 View Post
how did you find all of these free books on the reader store??? You must tell me yor secret!!!
Paranoia and Inkmesh.

It's mostly the Inkmesh that turns up the newest freebies, but it has this weird glitch where if a book has shown up free in one of the other stores, but takes a few days for the Sony store to catch up, then the listing will be backdated to the original freebie-ization and be buried several pages deep, assuming it shows up at all. And they have this habit of mixing in the Smashwords free self-published stuff, which one needs to check the # of sites for.

Also, the Barnes & Noble customer discussion area for the Nook/eBooks can be pretty useful; alert posters usually give a heads-up if they've found any new freebies, but they have to notice them in the first place, and some do seem to get skipped. And while there are a couple of blogs which do freebie roundups, they're usually very Kindle oriented and tend not to mention if a deal's become available at the other stores, which is understandable, since they have a set target audience.

So I've started to check all the stores for titles that have come up free at a competitor, just in case, because Inkmesh doesn't catch them all, AddAll's eBooks site is a hilarious read*, but very, very erratic when it comes to adding new free books and removing expired ones, and KindleIQ/JungleSearch only handles the Amazon stuff.

The posters here on MR are usually pretty good at catching books that become free elsewhere and bumping the threads up with a heads-up, but usually the thread title doesn't get updated, so it looks like the book is still only free in one store.

Some recent titles that might have been missed that are still free, for now:

Hour of the Hunter, a thriller by J. A. Jance @ Sony (US-only) @ B&N

Billy Boyle: A World War II Mystery by James R. Benn @ B&N and Amazon

The Pearl at the Gate, Regency-period erotic romance by Anya Delvay @ B&N and Amazon
Seducing Jane Porter, BDSM erotic romance by Dominique Adair @ B&N and probably still Amazon

Those two above, like all the Samhain Publishing freebie titles, are actually for some unknown reason DRM-free, so Sony users will be able to load them without any trouble.

Marked, paranormal romance by Elizabeth Naughton @ B&N
The Pawn, Christian Fiction thriller by Steven James, #1 in Patrick Bower series @ B&N
Shadow Bound, paranormal romance by Erin Kellison @ B&N

Thoreau's Legacy: American Stories About Global Warming, anthology @ Sony (Canada) (US-only)
The Rational Optimist, history by Matt Ridley @ Sony (US-only)
Who is Mark Twain, previously-unprinted essay collection by Mark Twain @ Sony (US-only)

Four YA Christian fiction titles for girls, available at Sony and B&N and Kindle stores.

Nine study guides from Kaplan, available at Sony, Kobo, and Kindle stores.

This is probably nowhere near everything, and your best bet if a free title announcement that's supposed to be for another store interests you, is to check back after a couple of days and see if it's been updated.

Too bad the Sony and B&N stores' official Free Books pages are so poorly updated that they're practically useless. You'd think they'd *want* to lure people in with mentions of fresh free stuff upfront instead of making people rely on word of mouth and hunting.

*A sample selection of "freebies" at the AddAll Sony listing:
  • ANGELS/ALLEYWAYS - Drinks On Me
  • Bye Bye Virginity
  • Dinner with a vampire. Did I mention I'm vegetarian?
  • He's Cocky, He's Mean, He's My Pet Panther
  • His Sexy Darth Vader Boxers
  • I fell from a tree while spying on a hot boy. GRREAT!
  • I moved in with my rich best friend, and his sexy asshole friend lives next to us
  • Little Miss Emo and Mr. Preppy Pants, Oh God! Not Another Arranged Marriage Story!
  • New guy is a jerk and I'm his buddy
  • Spend My Holidays, With Romeo Mr Oh So Hot Suicidal Cage Fighting Emo?

I suspect this is all teenage self-insert fic which somehow made its way to a "publisher".
Old 09-02-2010, 10:39 PM   #7
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATDrake View Post
The posters here on MR are usually pretty good at catching books that become free elsewhere and bumping the threads up with a heads-up, but usually the thread title doesn't get updated, so it looks like the book is still only free in one store.
All you have to do is send a private message to one of the moderators. They'll often catch it anyway, but sending a message will ensure that they change the thread title promptly.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2010, 10:42 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
*A sample selection of "freebies" at the AddAll Sony listing:
  • ANGELS/ALLEYWAYS - Drinks On Me
  • Bye Bye Virginity
  • Dinner with a vampire. Did I mention I'm vegetarian?
  • He's Cocky, He's Mean, He's My Pet Panther
  • His Sexy Darth Vader Boxers
  • I fell from a tree while spying on a hot boy. GRREAT!
  • I moved in with my rich best friend, and his sexy asshole friend lives next to us
  • Little Miss Emo and Mr. Preppy Pants, Oh God! Not Another Arranged Marriage Story!
  • New guy is a jerk and I'm his buddy
  • Spend My Holidays, With Romeo Mr Oh So Hot Suicidal Cage Fighting Emo?

I suspect this is all teenage self-insert fic which somehow made its way to a "publisher".
Looks like some of the Smashwords stuff, but it could be a "publisher" that managed to strike a separate deal them.

Sony is the worst about updating their freebies list (and a week or so ago, resorted to adding some of the Smashwords titles to make it looks like there had been a change... meanwhile, ignoring the freebies they had been adding (like the Twain title, which has been free for nearly a month).
Old 09-03-2010, 12:18 AM   #9
ATDrake
Wizzard

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
All you have to do is send a private message to one of the moderators. They'll often catch it anyway, but sending a message will ensure that they change the thread title promptly.
I know, but I felt kind of funny bothering the mods more than once in a day with the last batch I found, and I'd probably feel even more uncomfortable asking them to alter someone else's thread.

Quote:
Looks like some of the Smashwords stuff, but it could be a "publisher" that managed to strike a separate deal them.
AddAll listing says "Wattpad" under each and every one of them. I'm kind of curious now about the rest of their "catalogue" and whether the remaining titles are as entertaining as the ones that made it to the freebie list, but I fear ever encountering their actual story contents.

As for Sony, they really do have the worst of the major shopping sites.

Despite Kobobooks' deep and annoying flaws, at least they don't make you do every transaction through that horrible Reader Library app.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:53 AM   #10
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Quote:
I know, but I felt kind of funny bothering the mods more than once in a day with the last batch I found, and I'd probably feel even more uncomfortable asking them to alter someone else's thread.<snip>

Just like Koland said, we are more than happy to do this. Even if it is another thread, we like to make sure that these freebies are correctly listed so all members may benefit from the very generous time and work you all do for MR members.

We do try, but do not always catch them - letting us know is extremely helpful - especially now that there are so many listings.

Just send a PM or even just report the post. Make sure you type the title as you would like it to be. We can then just copy and paste it as an edit to the title for you.

dreams
moderation team
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 11:19 AM   #11
koland
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
AddAll listing says "Wattpad" under each and every one of them. I'm kind of curious now about the rest of their "catalogue" and whether the remaining titles are as entertaining as the ones that made it to the freebie list, but I fear ever encountering their actual story contents.

Quote:
As for Sony, they really do have the worst of the major shopping sites.

Despite Kobobooks' deep and annoying flaws, at least they don't make you do every transaction through that horrible Reader Library app.
They do, however, work at making the experience as bad as possible - searches are horrible, sorting by price removes free books, clicking on an author's name doesn't really limit the search to that author, no shopping cart and (from what I can tell), no gift certificates so you can avoid lots of tiny charges.

But, as you say, at least you are locked into the Sony software (to be fair, the Kobo software, at least the Borders version I had to use to get the Kobo reader working, is worse).

All that said, though -- I have to say that the iBooks app is worse yet. You can't see the store without having Apple hardware (and new enough to run the app; how long before today's iPads aren't allowed in the store?), browsing is pretty much awful (and there is no sort by price), as is pricing. If you do buy a book, most likely you can't read it anywhere else (although some happen to be DRM-free and can be converted/moved after backing them up via iTunes; there is, however, no indication of what you'll get before buying).
Old 09-03-2010, 07:57 PM   #12
michelle06259
michelle06259 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks for posting all the free book links. I don't have a reader yet, but I'm buying my self a Sony 350 or 650 in a couple of weeks.

I have the links book marked and ready for when I get my e-reader.
michelle06259 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 07:13 AM   #13
dmacmart
Fanatic
dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmacmart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Glo, Arc, H2O, iPhone, iPad 2, (husband)Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelle06259 View Post
Thanks for posting all the free book links. I don't have a reader yet, but I'm buying my self a Sony 350 or 650 in a couple of weeks.

I have the links book marked and ready for when I get my e-reader.
The free books are usually time-limited specials. You might want to open an account with Sony and Kobo (and B&N if you're in the US) and download the ePubs. You can manage them in Adobe Digital Editions until you get your reader.

On the other hand, if they're not books you've been "waiting for", there are always specials it seems. I've only been at this 2 months and have more FREE books than I can read in 2 years. (books that were free for a limited time, not the gazillion available in Gutenberg etc.)
dmacmart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 09:56 PM   #14
arcadata
Grand Sorcerer
arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arcadata ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire, iPad, iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350
FYI, free again, but currently just for those in the UK:

One September Morning by Rosalind Noonan (Amazon UK)
arcadata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2011, 02:54 AM   #15
Britomart
Guru
Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Britomart ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Opus, PC
One September Morning is also free again at B&N.
Britomart is offline   Reply With Quote