Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 02-04-2007, 01:59 PM   #1
cmumford
Connoisseur
cmumford began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Announcing BBeB Binder 0.2

Hi all:

I would like to announce version 0.2 of BBeB Binder - a program for converting HTML into LRF files.
  • Added support for creating images in BBeB files.
  • Added support for reading existing BBeB files.
  • Can now open HTML pages from the Internet instead of just local HTML files.
  • Now create a table of contents automatically based on the HTML heading elements: i.e. H1, H2, etc.
  • Creation of a very simple book cover.
  • Added a character substitution file that can be used to specify characters to use when none exists in the Sony Reader.
  • H1 and H2 elements now cause a new page to be created.

The developer notes contain our current release plan going forward. If you would like to see a feature that isn't there, or maybe have one re-prioritized then please speak up.

Thanks for helping out by testing BBeB Binder - and once again thanks to all of you developers whose hard work much of our understanding of the BBeB format is based!
cmumford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 03:03 PM   #2
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

Device: Sony PRS-300 + Cybook with funny screen :P
Thanks cmumford for this new version. I tried it but when I try to convert it it gives me this:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	699
Size:	193.4 KB
ID:	2784  
diabloNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2007, 03:14 PM   #3
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by diabloNL
Thanks cmumford for this new version. I tried it but when I try to convert it it gives me this:
Hmmm. That works for me. What were the exact steps that you took to produce this error?
Old 02-04-2007, 04:02 PM   #4
diabloNL
Gadget Force®
diabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with othersdiabloNL plays well with others

I opened the HTML file and then converted it. No additional steps.
Old 02-04-2007, 04:07 PM   #5
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
You are going to force me to set up one machine in Net 2.9 aren't you. I have avoided this forever and do not even run Net 1.0. Why are all of these new great products requiring Net 2.0. (The question mark is omitted from the last sentance since it is not really a question.)
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2007, 05:44 PM   #6
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
hey cmumford, this worked great for me. Nice maps in my book and TOC (once I got the HTML right) worked too. Great improvement. Now I just have to get my HTMLs correct.
Thanks,
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2007, 06:05 PM   #7
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood
You are going to force me to set up one machine in Net 2.9 aren't you. I have avoided this forever and do not even run Net 1.0. Why are all of these new great products requiring Net 2.0. (The question mark is omitted from the last sentance since it is not really a question.)
Hah, sorry RWood. C# is actually a great language and it actually makes working with COM bearable for once. Just put your faith in Bill and come on over to the dark side.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:08 PM   #8
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
I opened the HTML file and then converted it. No additional steps.
Did you install on top of a previous version? If so then uninstall it and make sure that the "C:\Program Files\BBeB Binder" is deleted. If it's not gone then remove it before installing 0.2 again. Hopefully this will clear things up. It does appear as if one of the assemblies is an older version somehow.
Old 02-04-2007, 08:37 PM   #9
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmumford
Hah, sorry RWood. C# is actually a great language and it actually makes working with COM bearable for once. Just put your faith in Bill and come on over to the dark side.
Back when I did program a lot (in the dark old days) my languages of choice were COBOL, FORTRAN, and Assembler. I still have MASM loaded and use it from time-to-time. Maybe it is that time of life to update the programming tools.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2007, 01:00 AM   #10
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmumford
Did you install on top of a previous version? If so then uninstall it and make sure that the "C:\Program Files\BBeB Binder" is deleted. If it's not gone then remove it before installing 0.2 again. Hopefully this will clear things up. It does appear as if one of the assemblies is an older version somehow.
I did uninstall and removed the BBeB Binder folder before I installed the new version. I will try again tonight to re-install the software. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 11:49 AM   #11
diabloNL
Gadget Force®

Quote:
I did uninstall and removed the BBeB Binder folder before I installed the new version. I will try again tonight to re-install the software. Thanks!

It works! I just uninstalled it and than reinstalled in. Thanks!
Old 02-06-2007, 12:00 PM   #12
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
Thanks cmumford, looking really good. I had to manually run vs_piaredist.exe or it kept crashing for me on startup.

Noticed the automatic filename creation causes problems if the title has special characters in it. Is the "table of contents" eventually going to go into BBeB's TOC instead of a displayed page?
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 12:51 PM   #13
cmumford
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by FangornUK
Thanks cmumford, looking really good. I had to manually run vs_piaredist.exe or it kept crashing for me on startup.

Noticed the automatic filename creation causes problems if the title has special characters in it. Is the "table of contents" eventually going to go into BBeB's TOC instead of a displayed page?
I want to get the vs_piaredist.exe problem solved because a lot of people are getting tripped up over it.

I've been modeling the book creation after the existing books that I've seen. Right now I'm putting just two entries in the BBeB's TOC section, one of them is to a TOC page which I've seen in just about every book on the reader. I've never seen a book with more than about four BBeB TOC entries - have you?

I could easily have an option to put the TOC entries into the BBeB TOC section and not create a page. There's no way to express hierarchy, but that may not be a big problem for many books. I wonder how the reader would behave if there were 50 or more TOC entries there?
Old 02-06-2007, 02:03 PM   #14
FangornUK
Addict
FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.FangornUK has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad, Kindle 3
I regularly generate BBeBs from Gutenberg HTML books using my gutlrf.pl scripts (which uses HTML2LRF) and some books can have loads of TOC entries without any problems on the Reader.
Also many Gutenberg books, for example, already contain a TOC with links so you'd be generating two TOCs.
FangornUK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 07:43 PM   #15
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Hey, cmumford, I've enjoyed using BBeB Binder 0.2 but it seems that the font always changes to Times Roman on the Reader. I use Arial and that shows correctly on the Connect SW on my computer. It also says Arial in BBeB Binder. Any ideas?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote