Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 07-17-2010, 12:56 PM   #1
aroidgrower
aroidgrower began at the beginning.

Device: nook ipad
Bought a nook today, told how to search free books at B & N

The sales clerk tried to do a search of the B & N site for free books and came up with nothing.

Another rep told the clerk to use $0.00 instead of 0.00 and sure enough that worked. I just tried it at home and it returned 956,012 free books on their site.
aroidgrower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:00 PM   #2
Poppa1956
Evangelist
Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppa1956 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Verizon Ellipsis Tablit w/Kindle and Nook apps.
Good tip, thanx!
Poppa1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #3
The Alternative
Techno-Junkie
The Alternative doesn't litterThe Alternative doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500 (x's 2), PRS-505, PRS-600, iPhone, iPad
Don't be fooled by this... a lot of the titles are excerpts and partial books, not complete novels. Just sayin'...
The Alternative is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 10:49 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Also, most of those "free" books are DRM-restricted.

If you want really free books (all of them gratis and most of them libre), here's my standard cut-and-paste list, which I really need to park somewhere and link from my .sig or something:

Right here on MobileRead is a good start -- the ebooks are built by hand by MobileRead members, and in my opinion they have the best formatting. There are a lot of other good ebook sites out there. Here's my personal free ebook source list:

Public Domain

MobileRead - best formatting, limited selection (hand-built by MobileRead members)

ManyBooks - PG scraper, but sometimes has books from other sources, good formatting

Feedbooks - mostly scrapes PG, improves formatting

Project Gutenberg - the granddaddy of them all, phenomenal selection

Munseys - painful to use, but has books nobody else does

the Internet Archive - generally only the scans are readable

Google Books - most of the time, what's good isn't free, and what's free isn't good

Free non-PD

Baen Free Library - amazing selection; also, they will tempt you into buying books

5th Imperium - Baen CD collections

Other Things

Search: Inkmesh. Sadly, it's not a very comprehensive search engine, at least when it comes to free ebooks - it misses a lot of them - but as far as I know, it's the only ebook-specific one out there.

If you're using free ebooks, it's only right to give something back: proofread a page a day at the Distributed Proofreading Project.

P.S.

I almost forgot: get calibre. Its support forum is a few boards down from here.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #5
marcdh
Banned
marcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheesemarcdh can extract oil from cheese

Device: none
Open Library - opt "only show e-books" does a lot - and is growing fast.

More than a page? check FreeLiterature.
marcdh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert