Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-29-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
niki_a
niki_a began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Multiple Copies on Reader!

Please Help!

Every time I sync my reader with my computer (Windows Vista, Library v3.1), i end up with multiple copies of books on my reader! I can't delete them individually from the reader on my PC (as it says I need to delete them from the library then re-sync), however, in my library there is only one copy of the book! I have tried re-formatting the internal memory on my reader and starting all over again, but I always end up with more than one copy. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks~!
niki_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 10:56 PM   #2
argegno
argegno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
I have just got a Sony PRS300 - and have exactly the same problem. Removing the book from the library does delete all copies from the reader though. However, that's not much of a solution. An ideas?
argegno is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-31-2009, 11:31 PM   #3
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by niki_a View Post
Please Help!

Every time I sync my reader with my computer (Windows Vista, Library v3.1), i end up with multiple copies of books on my reader! I can't delete them individually from the reader on my PC (as it says I need to delete them from the library then re-sync), however, in my library there is only one copy of the book! I have tried re-formatting the internal memory on my reader and starting all over again, but I always end up with more than one copy. What am I doing wrong? Any suggestions?

Thanks~!

I will try and help. First some questions:
  • Do you use collections to manage your ebooks?
  • Do you store some collections on your reader's internal memory, and others on an SD card?
  • Have you revised some books on your computer that are loaded on your reader?
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2009, 11:37 PM   #4
argegno
argegno began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS300
I had not used collections. My reader does not have an SD card. I have not revised any of my books.
Every time I connect the reader I seem to get a new copy of each book. I have about 10 books at the moment, and there are 5 copies of each now!
argegno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 03:06 AM   #5
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
Quote:
Originally Posted by argegno View Post
I had not used collections. My reader does not have an SD card. I have not revised any of my books.
Every time I connect the reader I seem to get a new copy of each book. I have about 10 books at the moment, and there are 5 copies of each now!
Sorry I'm not able to help. The questions I were based on my own experience with having multiple books on my reader. For example, when I revised an RTF ebook on my computer, I'd sometimes end up with two versions (old and new) of the same ebook on my reader.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 03:44 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Don't use "Sync" - it's never worked properly. Just copy the books you want manually onto the device. There's really no need to use the "Library" feature of EBL at all unless you particularly wish to do so.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:43 AM   #7
OCX
OCX began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader
I am having the same difficulty. I have multiple copies of the same books on the reader. Each sync creates more copies. The library does not have multiple copies so it is not syncing with the library. I cant see an obvious fix for it because the reader does not seem to refer to the library.
OCX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Quote:
Originally Posted by OCX View Post
I am having the same difficulty. I have multiple copies of the same books on the reader. Each sync creates more copies. The library does not have multiple copies so it is not syncing with the library. I cant see an obvious fix for it because the reader does not seem to refer to the library.
Welcome to MR, OCX!

As HarryT mentioned, don't use the "sync" function. I just import and drop the books that I want to my Reader because the "sync" just never worked properly for me.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 04:14 AM   #9
robkat
Connoisseur
robkat began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS 300
Why not use Calibre to import books, this way you control everything?
robkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:05 AM   #10
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
I agree. Don't sync. Drag and drop the books (files) right on the reader. Once you connect to the pc, the books on the reader will show up in the library. To me it sounds as if the library adds one more "shortcut" to the book every time it syncs. I had this happen with collections. If I moved the same book multiple times into a collection, the book showed up as many times I moved it there, even though (if you check the readers memory via e.g. Windows explorer) there was only the one file I dragged and dropped.

As for not using calibre:
Calibre organizes books (great). But to know where the book is, it must make a copy of the book within a folder it creates upon installation. I rather organize my stuff plain old school in folders on my hard drive. And I don't need multiple copies in places I don't know. So, it's a database. It attaches settings for the individual book (tags, names, ...). I didn't write the program, so I don't know what goes into metadata and what is stored within the database. For example: go to the setup folder where calibre stores books. Delete a file. Start calibre. Does the book still show up? Is it gone? Is data concerning the book still in the database even though the file is missing?
That's why I prefer organizing my stuff in folders.

No offense, this is just me and my 2 cents.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote