Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 08-19-2009, 10:03 AM   #1
sforce
Connoisseur
sforce doesn't littersforce doesn't litter

Device: Plastic Logic (?)
Aussie Publishers Reject Amazon Kindle

It seems as more e-readers become available, publishers are becoming increasing emboldened verses Amazon/Kindle.

"The race by newspaper publishers to explore platforms to deliver their content digitally is hotting up with news that Amazon Kindle is, in effect, out of the running in Australia.

Fairfax Media, publisher of the Herald, has rebuffed Amazon's portable e-reader as the way to deliver digitised versions of newspapers to readers on the run.

News Corporation has said that it too is looking beyond Amazon at other devices."

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...0817-emr4.html
sforce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:09 AM   #2
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
Is "hotting up" an Aussieism?

And from the article, it sounds like Fairfax has rejected Amazon before even being approached by Amazon. Interesting. And I think the author just got something wrong with this: "Sony wants consumers to be able to read any software reading program on its devices, but they do not read books, for example, that are now on sale in Australia in digital format." When did Sony say they want "consumers to be able to read any software reading program on its devices"? And what is the most common ebook format available in Australia?
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 10:31 AM   #3
Kali Yuga
Professional Contrarian
Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kali Yuga ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 No Touchie
Well, I don't know the corporate structure of Australian news outlets very well, but it sounds like someone is jumping the gun a tad.

The Kindle isn't in Australia yet (with no ETA), the Apple tablet rumor is literally 8 years old (and any similar device will have a web browser on it anyway, for free news access), and Sony doesn't offer news / magazine subscriptions yet. Not sure if Sony even has an ETA for that yet.

That said, it does sound like Amazon kinda gives newspapers and magazines the shaft -- iirc they take 60% of the revenues. So it makes sense for the chains to take a preemptive swipe at the terms.
Kali Yuga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:09 AM   #4
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
AFAIK "hotting up" is a British expression.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 11:15 AM   #5
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
Well, yeah, News Corp is looking at other things. Murdoch is pissed, and wants the sales info from Amazon on the WSJ kindle sales.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #6
sforce
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellmark View Post
Well, yeah, News Corp is looking at other things. Murdoch is pissed, and wants the sales info from Amazon on the WSJ kindle sales.
As I read the below from Amazon's Kindle forum, Amazon lost the stare-down with Murdoch. The Kindlers are none too happy about it either, especially following the Orwellian indecent:

Amazon Caves to Magazines and Newspapers: Now Gives Them Your Name, Address and Billing Information
Old 08-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #7
Abecedary
Exwyzeeologist
Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Abecedary could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: :PRS-505::iPod touch:
I find the Kindlers argument there to be pretty silly. Magazine and newspaper publishers in the past have always had access to the info for their subscribers. And for the people arguing that when they "subscribe" by buying it from the newsstand that the WSJ doesn't get your information, well guess what--that's not a subscription!
Abecedary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:32 PM   #8
Hellmark
Wizard
Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hellmark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nokia N800, PRS-505, Nook STR Glowlight, Kindle 3
I really don't see the big deal about it, but hey, that's just me.
Hellmark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:39 PM   #9
sforce
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abecedary View Post
I find the Kindlers argument there to be pretty silly. Magazine and newspaper publishers in the past have always had access to the info for their subscribers. And for the people arguing that when they "subscribe" by buying it from the newsstand that the WSJ doesn't get your information, well guess what--that's not a subscription!
I agree. I think allowing the publishers limited info, important for them to deliver a product more tailored for their customers.

That said, I do find Amazon's changing its Kindle terms of service--on the sly--very disturbing, and something that would keep me from being a Kindle Kustomer...
Old 08-19-2009, 11:28 PM   #10
millydog
Connoisseur
millydog doesn't littermillydog doesn't litter

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPhone X, iPad Pro
I have a Sony PRS-505 & an iRex iLiad v2, but I would like to see the Kindle come here (to Australia), among others. The Sony devices aren't (officially) here either.
It's also not easy to purchase e-books at good prices here, so I'd also like to see on-line stores open up sales so as we can buy from them without having to resort to vouchers.

My workplace is a software company, but you would be surprised by how many people here did not know what an e-reader was until I showed them, now a number of them want one. All it will take is for a company with advertising $$$ behind them and e-readers will start taking off here.

I'm actually disappointed that the Kindle has been rejected, even if I prefer to use ePub books on my Sony.
millydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:03 AM   #11
Andybaby
Wizard
Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andybaby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-700
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
I agree. I think allowing the publishers limited info, important for them to deliver a product more tailored for their customers.

That said, I do find Amazon's changing its Kindle terms of service--on the sly--very disturbing, and something that would keep me from being a Kindle Kustomer...
all companies change their tos all the time and you never notice it. your bank and creditcard and car insuarance companies change their terms on you every week.

in the grand scheme of things, amazon has done nothing wrong.
Andybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 03:13 AM   #12
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorsk View Post
AFAIK "hotting up" is a British expression.
It is indeed.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:27 AM   #13
Argel
Opinionated [but right]
Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.Argel is no ebook tyro.

Device: Cybook Gen3, PRS 505, Kindle International, HTC Desire
This, to me, is a very significant development. The original assumption was that the press would flock to the Kindle – but few of us were aware of the kind of licensing conditions Amazon were imposing.

All newspaper publishers are aware that the only path to survival lies in monetizing their output in different ways. That is a long term process involving identifying their audience and experimenting with differential pricing for access to various material. An example of the way things are going is the Financial Times, which took the web subscription route and is experimenting with monetizing its archives and other information. Murdoch wants to go in the same direction because he realizes that it’s a question of survival.

What that adds up to is that the probability of major newspaper groups allowing Amazon to monopolize – or even have much access to – their subscriber base is zero. Absolutely zero.

So when I come to buy my next liseuse, I may well have a choice between an Amazon device which will not download the daily paper and a range of others which will. That’s not a decision that will take much time.
Argel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:32 AM   #14
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argel View Post
This, to me, is a very significant development. The original assumption was that the press would flock to the Kindle – but few of us were aware of the kind of licensing conditions Amazon were imposing.
What licensing conditions are you referring to?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2009, 05:59 AM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
I'm there with them. The Kindle is awful - with its mobile phone based functionality and its tied down nature. Fairfax/News Corp might as well hand over their business to the whims of Amazon if they signed on the dotted line with them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sforce View Post
It seems as more e-readers become available, publishers are becoming increasing emboldened verses Amazon/Kindle.

"The race by newspaper publishers to explore platforms to deliver their content digitally is hotting up with news that Amazon Kindle is, in effect, out of the running in Australia.

Fairfax Media, publisher of the Herald, has rebuffed Amazon's portable e-reader as the way to deliver digitised versions of newspapers to readers on the run.

News Corporation has said that it too is looking beyond Amazon at other devices."

http://www.smh.com.au/technology/tec...0817-emr4.html
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote