Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 10:18 AM   #16
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Cybook
I wonder how many people are having problems with the USB and power switch. I have never had that problem.
bob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:44 PM   #17
AlPe
Digital Amanuensis
AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlPe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several eReaders and tablets
On the SBF forum I opened a poll months ago, right now we have 11 owners out of 31 that had problems, mainly with the power switch and the USB port.
(Remember to adjust the rate to account for the observation bias that is typical of online "support" forums, where people with problems are more likely to post than "satisfied" users.)

Moreover, if you visit Bookeen's facebook/twitter/blog pages, you will read other customers lamenting the same problems.
AlPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2012, 10:52 AM   #18
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
I thought the page-turn button on the sides where a bit high up and I have average hands for a woman. Also, the back is made out of metal and it turns cold. It's also heavier than the Kobo Touch. After having used both I stuck with my Kobo.
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:18 PM   #19
Digit71
Digit71 began at the beginning.

Device: none
I bought an Odyssey recently and immediately realised the screen was unacceptable. The reason it is darker and has less contrast is because they have put a capacitive layer over the e-ink screen rather than an infra-red touch interface that all other manufacturers use.

Think about it, light has to pass through the plastic for the capacitive layer, bounce off the e-ink screen (that itself has a plastic layer on top) and pass through the capacitive layer for a 2nd time. Don't know if mine was a new version but it had a button on the bottom that was not recessed so I kept accidentally switching it off as I held it.

Bookeen made a mistake choosing the Sipix screen for their last ereader and they made a mistake this time choosing a capacitive touch interface. It is all rather sad because I liked almost everything else about the Odyssey, very cool case design.

I bought a Kobo and installed the Kindle font on it and I am satisfied for now. That is my other criticism, how come Amazon realises that an e-ink screen needs very thick fonts but other ereader companies don't?

Can't believe Bookeen are making really obvious mistakes with the hardware design. If they change the interface to infra-red then I'll be buying one.
Digit71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 01:25 PM   #20
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digit71 View Post
I bought an Odyssey recently and immediately realised the screen was unacceptable. The reason it is darker and has less contrast is because they have put a capacitive layer over the e-ink screen rather than an infra-red touch interface that all other manufacturers use.

Think about it, light has to pass through the plastic for the capacitive layer, bounce off the e-ink screen (that itself has a plastic layer on top) and pass through the capacitive layer for a 2nd time. Don't know if mine was a new version but it had a button on the bottom that was not recessed so I kept accidentally switching it off as I held it.

Bookeen made a mistake choosing the Sipix screen for their last ereader and they made a mistake this time choosing a capacitive touch interface. It is all rather sad because I liked almost everything else about the Odyssey, very cool case design.

I bought a Kobo and installed the Kindle font on it and I am satisfied for now. That is my other criticism, how come Amazon realises that an e-ink screen needs very thick fonts but other ereader companies don't?

Can't believe Bookeen are making really obvious mistakes with the hardware design. If they change the interface to infra-red then I'll be buying one.
What the hell ??
Having both T1 and odyssey, there is a slight differance, but it's not that noticable.
And while the orizon was sPix the odyssey is pearl...

http://lecoinlecture.net/wp-content/...2/img_0007.jpg
Kindle and kobo are the same as T1..

Check your facts before bashing...
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-04-2012, 02:17 PM   #21
Digit71

The difference is huge. I forgot to mention that the clarity of the text is worse too. Even the guy from e-ink says you can't put anything in front of the screen without degrading the quality of the text. The same goes for those lighted screens (such as on the new Nook) via an extra layer, they state it has a built in "anti-glare" screen but in reality that is the compulsory layer added to light the screen, but the clarity of the text will be worse. Do not buy any ereader with a glowing screen or any reader with an extra layer on top of the e-ink screen.

Answer to a better e-ink text experience is for e-ink to get their act together and improve the contrast of the basic screen. I don't see people reading books with a layer of plastic across the screen. It's just common sense. But if you want to pay for that then that's your choice. As long as you know.

That photo you linked to has a ton of light on the screen, You have to see the screen for yourself in a lower light situation. Practically any e-ink screen is acceptable in bright light, not everyone lives in California. There's a massive problem with the contrast of e-ink but improvements are slow. Another display technology could overtake it if they're not careful.

It seems the English speaking world reviewers have missed the contrast issue. Check out this review from Bookeen's native France (via Google translate), it mentions the screen contrast issue as a negative. (There are other reviewers who agree):

http://translate.google.com/translat...impressions%2F

I returned my Odyssey for a refund before the USB port snapped off (Design error no. 3 I guess). Still, at least there was no diamond pattern on the touch screen I had, they must have changed it. Better to get rid of it completely though. Only person who would be satisfied is someone who had not seen a Pearl screen without a "filter" in front of it.
Old 05-04-2012, 02:57 PM   #22
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I returned my Odyssey for a refund before the USB port snapped off (Design error no. 3 I guess). Still, at least there was no diamond pattern on the touch screen I had, they must have changed it. Better to get rid of it completely though. Only person who would be satisfied is someone who had not seen a Pearl screen without a "filter" in front of it.
I've done more than see a reader without a filter, i've used my T1 when the odyssey went back to support. And I know which one I prefer to read on. The is a difference yes, but not a huge difference.
I'll make a proper photo when i get my odyssey again if you want.

I'm suprised about what you mentionned about the pattern not being visible. As it is.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 05-04-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:52 PM   #23
Digit71

I saw the dots but not the lines. I think people should check out these photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebouquin/6325693132/ but I never noticed it that bad, but maybe my lighting conditions were different.

The perfect ereader doesn't exist yet, manufacturers keep messing it up, it is like one step forward and then one step back. Amazon have got a lot right (including the font choice) but I don't want to read ePubs.

No doubt there'll be some new ereaders coming out in the next 6 months. If Sony can drop the glossy case then I might be tempted. Incidentally, I found the Sony to have the most reliable touch interface. On the Kobo and Odyssey I often had to touch more than once to get a response.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #24
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by EowynCarter View Post
What the hell ??
Having both T1 and odyssey, there is a slight differance, but it's not that noticable.
And while the orizon was sPix the odyssey is pearl...

http://lecoinlecture.net/wp-content/...2/img_0007.jpg
Kindle and kobo are the same as T1..

Check your facts before bashing...
Looking at the Kobo and the T1, one thing stands out...The over ridiculously large page numbers at the bottom of the Kobo screen taking up too much screen space.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #25
bob123
Addict
bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.bob123 is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

The pattern is slightly annoying in VERY SPECIFIC lighting conditions, holding a at just the wrong angle. Usually it is not a problem.

Quote:

Did you even try the emboldened text feature?

Quote:
Even the guy from e-ink says you can't put anything in front of the screen without degrading the quality of the text.
I thought E-ink claimed that putting a colour layer over top did not have significant problems. Now I do realize that triton DOES seem to have problems, but that is not what e-ink claims.
[/QUOTE]
Quote:
The same goes for those lighted screens (such as on the new Nook) via an extra layer, they state it has a built in "anti-glare" screen but in reality that is the compulsory layer added to light the screen, but the clarity of the text will be worse.
That's not what the reviews say.
Quote:
I don't see people reading books with a layer of plastic across the screen.
What kind of a comparison is that? Books don't even have screens.

Quote:

I returned my Odyssey for a refund before the USB port snapped off (Design error no. 3 I guess).
How do you know the USB port snapped off if you returned it? I guess you read that a few people had this problem and assumed everyone did?

That all being said, I do agree that it would be nicer if they had used the IR touch screen.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #26
bob123
Addict

Quote:
I saw the dots but not the lines. I think people should check out these photos http://www.flickr.com/photos/ebouquin/6325693132/ but I never noticed it that bad, but maybe my lighting conditions were different.

The perfect ereader doesn't exist yet, manufacturers keep messing it up, it is like one step forward and then one step back. Amazon have got a lot right (including the font choice) but I don't want to read ePubs.
I assume you meant you DO want to read ePubs?
Old 05-04-2012, 04:11 PM   #27
bob123
Addict

Quote:
Incidentally, I found the Sony to have the most reliable touch interface. On the Kobo and Odyssey I often had to touch more than once to get a response.
That's probably true.
Old 05-04-2012, 04:23 PM   #28
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
No doubt there'll be some new ereaders coming out in the next 6 months. If Sony can drop the glossy case then I might be tempted. Incidentally, I found the Sony to have the most reliable touch interface. On the Kobo and Odyssey I often had to touch more than once to get a response.
Yup, the sony IR works pretty well. My only grip with it is you can't just tap to change page.

Quote:
How do you know the USB port snapped off if you returned it? I guess you read that a few people had this problem and assumed everyone did?
Quite a few people had problems.

Quote:
Looking at the Kobo and the T1, one thing stands out...The over ridiculously large page numbers at the bottom of the Kobo screen taking up too much screen space.
One of the things i like with the odyssey
Old 05-05-2012, 04:06 AM   #29
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
I don't have an Odyssey, but have an Orizon, which also has a (capacitive?) touch screen. I never noticed the grid as clearly as the picture, but sometimes I can see the small dots at the nodes. Nothing disturbing, and I'm usually very picky, as they are barely noticeable.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2012, 07:03 AM   #30
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Which kobo screen are you talking about?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote