Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > iSilo/X

Notices

Old 06-01-2003, 01:43 PM   #1
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast
kennethmgreen began at the beginning.

Device: Treo680
Angry iSiloX: double PDBs, now none!

New user to iSilo/iSiloX. I love iSilo's interface and how well the reader's options seem to "fit" me and make sense.

But I'm having some trouble with iSiloX.

The first webpage that I converted and installed went fine, no problems.

Then I decided I wanted to install a converted webpage to my SD card (Tungsten T). So I changed the Document preferences and converted another site. It installed two PDBs on my card (and they both seem to be in the same directory).

Both PDBs opened and could be viewed OK, but obviously, I don't want duplicates being installed.

Suspecting this might have something to do with Handstory, I removed that completely.

When I try to convert and install a site now, nothing gets installed. The conversion finishes OK, but nothing is listed in the Install Tool. If I perform a Hotsync, nothing gets installed.

What's going on?

I have searched this forum, the FAQ and the manual. A couple of mentions of the duplicate PDBs, but not much else.

I couldn't find a simple "install" command on the iSiloX menu - something that would manually install a converted file to my HH. Surely a command like that exists?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:12 AM   #2
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast

To clarify:

iSilo v3.3 (the reader) is installed on my handheld's memory.

I installed iSiloX 3.3 on my Win2000 box. Conversion of HTML documents (online and local) with iSiloX works fine.

When the destination for an item is the handheld (not an external card), everything works fine - conversion is done, pdb automatically sent to Palm Install ready for HotSync.

If the destination for a file is set to the external card, I get a message saying the conversion was OK, but cannot find the PDB file (it's not ready to HotSync).

I can set a folder destination for a document and the PDB is created in that folder. I can then move that file to Palm Install. If I set the installation to the SD card (through the Palm Install interface) and Hotsync, TWO COPIES of the file are installed. When I open iSilo, there are two identical listings of the new pdb file. Both open correctly, and deleting one of the files does not seem to cause a problem.

Does anyone have any idea why this would be happening? Basically, the problem lies in installing to an external card, as everything else seems to work OK.

Although the duplicate files are not creating such a problem that I cannot use iSiloX, it's definitely a pain in the ass to have to manually install files to the card, only to have duplicates created, and then have to go back and delete one of copies each and every time.

I have contacted iSilo support on this, but there only response was to make sure iSilo (the program) was installed on my handheld and not on the external card. I replied that it was.

I was hoping I could get some guidance here in this forum. Has anyone had problems like this? Does anyone have any advice at all? Hello? Anyone...? Bueller...?
Old 06-02-2003, 11:30 AM   #3
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Weird!

Here's my two cents on things you might try, some of them you may indeed have already tried, but I'm brainstorming here as I list some options:

1. When I encounter strange behavior, first thing I try is to uninstall both ends, including PDBs created by iSiloX, then reinstall, retest. Sometimes that fixes weirdness, sometimes not.

2. Are you able to successful sync to your card using programs other than iSilo/iSiloX? Would help to know if this is soley an iSilo issue or a TT/sync/card issue.

3. I occassionally get duplicate PDBs, but it's beacuse I forget to delete the destination entry to RAM in the channel properties after I've added a destination to the card. This probably isn't the case, but you might check that.

4. If you want the PDB on your card only, your destination tab in the channel properties should only have one listing, and that should be "<yourhotsyncname>:external memory card"

If one of these don't resolve the issue, perhaps a member here who successfuly syncs to a TT card can chime in.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:43 AM   #4
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally posted by gvtexas
Weird!
Excellent questions, my Texas friend! (I'm Austin)

Quote:
1. When I encounter strange behavior, first thing I try is to uninstall both ends, including PDBs created by iSiloX, then reinstall, retest. Sometimes that fixes weirdness, sometimes not.
That's one I will try. Haven't done the complete uninstall yet.

Quote:
2. Are you able to successful sync to your card using programs other than iSilo/iSiloX? Would help to know if this is soley an iSilo issue or a TT/sync/card issue.
Yes, and I should have posted that. Good question.

Quote:
3. I occassionally get duplicate PDBs, but it's beacuse I forget to delete the destination entry to RAM in the channel properties after I've added a destination to the card. This probably isn't the case, but you might check that.
Funny you mention that. This happened to me the first couple of times. The destination tab wasn't all that clear to me at first. Once I figured that out, though, I made sure there was only one destination: the external card. I also went into the Document preferences and made the external card my default destination.

Quote:
4. If you want the PDB on your card only, your destination tab in the channel properties should only have one listing, and that should be "<yourhotsyncname>:external memory card"
correct. And that is how the destination entry reads.

Quote:
If one of these don't resolve the issue, perhaps a member here who successfuly syncs to a TT card can chime in.
Hopefully so... but I'm getting pretty good response from iSilo support. We haven't figured it out yet, but they are definitely winning points with timeliness and effort. IMO, support is *HUGE* when it comes to deciding on applications to use in my daily life. If/when I get a solution, I'll post it here.
Old 06-02-2003, 11:47 AM   #5
gvtexas
Addict
gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.gvtexas knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony Clie TH55
Sounds like you're on track. If I think of anything else, I'll post it here. I'm in The Woodlands, btw. Went to school in Austin, back when it wasn't crowded!! Still, a very pretty town.
Old 06-02-2003, 12:54 PM   #6
kennethmgreen
Enthusiast

It looks like the problem I was having was completely my own damn fault (as is the case 98% of the time.....)

Somehow, in reading the manual, I never came across any mention of the local directory iSiloI. Apparently, when a file is set for destination: external card, the PDB is formatted and placed there - and NOT in the Palm Install queue.

This directory (for me) is located at: C:\Palm\kgreen\iSiloI

iSilo support had me check this directory after converting. Sure enough, files were getting put there. When I synched, guess what? Everything was working.

I suspect what happened was that when I converted a file and set the destination to the SC card, I expected to see it in the Palm Install queue (if the destination is handheld it shows up there). When I did not see the pdb file in Palm Install, I assumed the file was not getting created (dumbass move #1).

Instead of completing the process and just doing a HotSync, I would create it again with a different destination (like folder), get it to Palm INstall, then change the destination there to the SD card. (dumbass move #2)

No wonder I was getting duplicate PDBs!

Everything is working fine now. About the only thing I could ask for as an improvement might be to make it clearer what is happening when an install to external card is selected. As far as I can tell, there is no mention of the iSiloI directory in the iSiloX docs.

I am impressed with the iSilo products and their level of support. I will most definitely be registering the reader and recommending iSilo to friends.