Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 12-28-2012, 05:49 AM   #31
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Well, further thought, and I think I will go with the spaced dots / faux ellipsis for this project after all.

Punctuation preceding ellipsis does look a bit strange when using the glyph. (I think because we aren't used to seeing it in contemporary publications.) But with spaced dots, it doesn't look excessively awful, see the attached screen-shot of the printed book page. (This combination occurs a number of times in this project.)

Don't make me frantic!… There, there, there, my precious.

Don't make me frantic! . . . There, there, there, my precious.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Punctuation-Ellipsis.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	98305  
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:52 AM   #32
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
I've run into many instances of punctuation preceding an ellipse in the book I'm finishing up, here's a sample attached of a few instances on one page. Punctuation followed by an ellipse was used where a sentence ended and then switched completely to another topic they were discussing at the same time.

"That architect’s late. . . . Llewellyn Meredith—I believe I have heard his name."

And then an exclamation point followed by an ellipse for the same reason for
“Psychological deduction! . . . Stair-carpets will cost a lot.”

Whether grammatically correct or not, I'm sticking to doing the book how it was originally in the printed version. But it makes sense to me the way it's used in the book. I also stuck to using the   for spaces in all instances of ellipses to keep the width uniform.

I've never seen an ellipse preceding other punctuation though, but perhaps in other languages where I think they have certain punctuation at the beginning of a sentence? (trying to remember high school Spanish, seem to recall something about that).

Edit: Btw, if anyone knows what they are referring to here, what "R.A." means, I would be so grateful. They're taking measurements for draperies and rugs in a house they're going to buy, while also discussing a young girl, her father and her grandfather. The book was written 1942 and has a lot of terms from England, all of which I've managed to research to scrounge up the meaning and decipher except for this one, I really don't have a clue:

“An R.A.,” Pamela answered.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-12-17_0.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	92.5 KB
ID:	98307  

Last edited by Ripplinger; 12-28-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:18 AM   #33
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The one I'm working has quite a few with a paragraph opening with a quote mark and ellipsis
“... Isabella is far too indulgent to me

But in fairness, most of them are referring to partial quotations from other sources:
"... she repeated, bursting into tears."

Yes, definitely back to spaced faux ellipsis for these. I've mostly used them, with the NBSP, in previous projects, but thought I would get adventurous this time. Wrong time to get frisky, I think.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:46 AM   #34
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Edit: Btw, if anyone knows what they are referring to here, what "R.A." means, I would be so grateful.
It's probably a Title/Qualification, as from Royal Academy of Arts (or Architecture), so meaning a Royal Architect.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:56 AM   #35
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
With spaced ellipsis, I'd choose:

._._._Isabella is far
Craky hall ._._. walked
pleasure,_._._. but I [if this is not considered as a typo/mistake]
deduction! ._._. Stair-carpets
delightful boy. ._._. James Keith [full sentence, separated from the next by an ellipsis]
wrote this, he._._._. She sat [unfinished sentence, then a new one]

(where _ is a  )

I don't think it would be that wrong/weird/undesirable to break lines where I've put normal spaces.

Last edited by Jellby; 12-28-2012 at 01:50 PM.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:22 AM   #36
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@Jellby, looks good, thank you. Yes, it looks most like the printed / pdf copies I was able to scrounge up. (I guess some glyphs just don't jibe with old punctuation rules.) A good thing I have a hot-key to auto-type NBSP for me, and hopefully can use S&R to take care of most of them.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:56 AM   #37
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
It's probably a Title/Qualification, as from Royal Academy of Arts (or Architecture), so meaning a Royal Architect.
Thank you, that makes sense in that context. I thought of Royal Academy as one of the possibilities, but that someone else picked up that it applies to the architect makes me more sure of it, so Royal Architect (or architect from the Royal Academy) sounds like the best choice.

Before I converted all my ellipses to be spaced with  , I had seen several instances in the book where the ellipse itself fell on the next line away from the preceding punctuation mark, and it didn't look right. But what looked even worse was when it was on the same line but had a wider gap between the punctuation mark and the start of the ellipse, it just looked bad to me.

Once you see that on your reader, you might feel differently about inserting the   between the preceding punctuation and the ellipse, that's what made up my mind to redo them. Not to say either way is wrong, just which you prefer seeing while you read.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:52 AM   #38
sjkramer
Connoisseur
sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sjkramer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone
I'd just like to offer support for Jellyby's method. After much (much!) fretting over this myself, I came independently to the same solution. I was pleased that such a perspicacious person agreed.
sjkramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:18 PM   #39
yekim54
What the Dog Saw
yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yekim54 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Surface3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Edit: Btw, if anyone knows what they are referring to here, what "R.A." means, I would be so grateful. They're taking measurements for draperies and rugs in a house they're going to buy, while also discussing a young girl, her father and her grandfather. The book was written 1942 and has a lot of terms from England, all of which I've managed to research to scrounge up the meaning and decipher except for this one, I really don't have a clue:

“An R.A.,” Pamela answered.
Not sure, but it might be Registered Architect.

What font is that in your screen capture? I like it.
yekim54 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:37 PM   #40
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perkin View Post
From some research, I think it's more likely to be Registered Architect.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:06 PM   #41
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjkramer View Post
I'd just like to offer support for Jellyby's method. After much (much!) fretting over this myself, I came independently to the same solution. I was pleased that such a perspicacious person agreed.
For a general solution he's probably right, but as I tweak only for my own reading on my own reader, I will continue to use the … - it appeals to my sense of minimal coding & looks Ok for me.

Fascinating discussion though - I do wonder what rules the old "HOT LEAD" typesetters followed...
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 PM   #42
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
For a general solution he's probably right, but as I tweak only for my own reading on my own reader, I will continue to use the … - it appeals to my sense of minimal coding & looks Ok for me.

Fascinating discussion though - I do wonder what rules the old "HOT LEAD" typesetters followed...
I set 'Hot Type' in High school.
I only remember setting Ligatures (those 'mats' had to be inserted by hand as there were no keys for those).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:44 PM   #43
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder

Quote:
Originally Posted by yekim54 View Post
Not sure, but it might be Registered Architect.

What font is that in your screen capture? I like it.
The font is LexiaDaMa in bold, I love the font and it's about the only one I use now on my reader. My eyes are bad as it is, but reading outdoors while I'm out and well past normal daylight, or on public transportation in the wrong seat, the font lets me keep reading in dimmer situations when I'd otherwise have needed a light.

And Registered Architect is a good choice too. It's just one of those things that you can't say what the author meant with 100% certainty that bugs me not knowing the common terms of the day back then.
Old 12-29-2012, 04:37 AM   #44
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
I will continue to use the … - it appeals to my sense of minimal coding
Ideally, defining custom entities would work properly, so you could write, say, &ellipsis; everywhere and define it to look the way you prefer, in a single place.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 04:45 PM   #45
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
"wrong" was probably the wrong word to use, but it looks odd - to me - to see an ellipsis all by itself on a line, when it occurs at the end of a sentence:

and then
What looks odd to me is

Quote:
odd - to me - to
because it should be...

Quote:
odd—to me—to
em dashes should not have a space before or after and you cannot use a dash instead like you did.

Now, I've seen the following in a number of ePub...

Code:
word . . . word2
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
entities, locale, typography