Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-24-2010, 06:34 AM   #16
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChaoZ View Post
Wow, that's quite a few things disabled. Does User_Font do what I think it does?

the justification thing DID work.

i tried the 2 column view but nothing happens as per procedure.

has anyone tried this?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2010, 06:37 AM   #17
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
FYI, full default reader settings switches from fw 3.x:

ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE = false
ALLOW_TWO_COLUMN_VIEW = false
ALLOW_ARTICLE_THUMBNAIL = false
ALLOW_READING_INDICATOR = true
ALLOW_USER_FONT = false
ALLOW_USER_LINE_SPACING = false

Haven't actually tried anything except font.

Any idea why?

has anyone tried this?
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-24-2010, 08:30 AM   #18
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post

Any idea why?

has anyone tried this?
Yep. No idea what it does; doesn' t seem to do anything on my DXG. The ALLOW_LINESPACING idem. The ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION does work, though.
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 01:30 AM   #19
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
This is not working in my device. I have upgraded to 3.0.2, could this be the reason?
The option is shown in the menu, but no matter my selection, the text always appears left-justified.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2010, 09:12 AM   #20
Gearhead
Enthusiast
Gearhead began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX, PRS505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco View Post
This is not working in my device. I have upgraded to 3.0.2, could this be the reason?
The option is shown in the menu, but no matter my selection, the text always appears left-justified.
I think you are reading a book that is poorly formatted. I'd guess that the publisher set justification at the paragraph level which the menu toggle cannot override. Try opening the Kindle manual. It is properly formatted.
Gearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-25-2010, 01:29 PM   #21
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
thanks, Gearhead, you're completely right
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 03:02 PM   #22
RobertJSawyer
Guru
RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobertJSawyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Clara 2E, and Clara HD; Kindle PaperWhite
Works with Kindle 3 Wi-Fi Graphite, too

Gearhead's hack at the beginning of this thread works flawlessly to enable a justification toggle on my Kindle 3 wi-fi graphite. THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU! Yes, there are some books that have full-justification hard-coded into the file, but most of the ones I've checked respond to the new justification toggle this hack enables. (However, I will be checking the samples Amazon provides before buying any books in future, just to be sure that they will obey MY preference for justification, instead of forcing full-justification upon me). I'm very pleased.

===

ROBERT J. SAWYER, Science Fiction Writer
Author FLASHFORWARD, basis for the TV series
http://sfwriter.com * sawyer@sfwriter.com
RobertJSawyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 07:30 PM   #23
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Will wonders never cease. This should work on K2 as well, I take it?
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 03:25 PM   #24
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I would think so. It works fine on my DX.
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 04:29 PM   #25
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It does.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:51 PM   #26
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
"20" works best for me. Oops, you are talking about another feature. Must try that one too!
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:47 PM   #27
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
Okay, I'm new to K3 and new to editing k3 files but not new to hacking or just adding text to files:

I have added:

ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE=true

To the file 3 times and reset the k3. It never works and what's more - that line does not show up in the file. So I would guess it is being re-written or restored at some time after I've saved it. I've used Uedit to edit the file.

So what am I doing wrong???!!!!???

Thanks.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:42 PM   #28
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
Okay, I'm new to K3 and new to editing k3 files but not new to hacking or just adding text to files:

I have added:

ALLOW_JUSTIFICATION_CHANGE=true

To the file 3 times and reset the k3. It never works and what's more - that line does not show up in the file. So I would guess it is being re-written or restored at some time after I've saved it. I've used Uedit to edit the file.

So what am I doing wrong???!!!!???

Thanks.
I'm not familiar with Uedit, but make sure you are saving the file using Unix line endings. If it is set up to use Windows line endings that could account for it not working.

Kindle will re-write the file after restart. In my case it moved it up a few lines.

That said, I'm not using my new found power very much. I use size 1-2, condensed/sansserif so justification is easier to achieve without weird whitespace. Nice to have it available though.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #29
dwallbaum
Zealot
dwallbaum has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle2
Sorry, all...I asked this before but can't find the answer:

Win7/K2. I can't find the system folder, it remains hidden, and I have forgotten how to make the folder viewable.

Thx!

Don
dwallbaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:12 PM   #30
curstpriest
Confused
curstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toyscurstpriest shares his or her toys

Device: Kindle DXG
I've spammed some emails over to the kindle dev team asking for column mode for a long time, it will be useful (esp in landscape because of whitespace) it could also help speed readers out b/c it is much easier to read stuff in column format. Maybe they are working on it now =D
curstpriest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hacks