Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-02-2015, 08:17 AM   #1
mouse_wireless
mouse_wireless began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Looking for a book -- Introduction to Algorithms

I'll start by saying that I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. If it isn't, I'm sorry.

I got my Kindle Paperwhite 2015 a couple of days ago and now I'm looking to get a certain book -- Introduction to Algorithms (preferably 3rd edition) by Carte de Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald Rivest and Thomas H. Cormen.

I'm looking for it in a kindle-friendly format. The pdf won't do because the font size turns our to small and any zoom level crops the text. Pdf to ebook converters don't work well since the book is full of mathematical formulae.

I can see that it is on the amazon store for kindle so it must be available in a kindle-friendly format. However it doesn't seem to be available for paperwhite in the store.

The last resort would be to crop each page of the pdf in half and then read the book as an A5 landscape. But I don't even know a software which can do this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and sorry again if this is not the right forum t ask this.
mouse_wireless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 08:46 AM   #2
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mouse_wireless View Post
I'll start by saying that I don't know if this is the right forum for this question. If it isn't, I'm sorry.

I got my Kindle Paperwhite 2015 a couple of days ago and now I'm looking to get a certain book -- Introduction to Algorithms (preferably 3rd edition) by Carte de Charles E. Leiserson, Ronald Rivest and Thomas H. Cormen.

I'm looking for it in a kindle-friendly format. The pdf won't do because the font size turns our to small and any zoom level crops the text. Pdf to ebook converters don't work well since the book is full of mathematical formulae.

I can see that it is on the amazon store for kindle so it must be available in a kindle-friendly format. However it doesn't seem to be available for paperwhite in the store.

The last resort would be to crop each page of the pdf in half and then read the book as an A5 landscape. But I don't even know a software which can do this.

Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks and sorry again if this is not the right forum t ask this.
Kindle format IS paperwhite format.
Are you sure you are not fishing for an illegal copy?
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:45 AM   #3
mouse_wireless

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Kindle format IS paperwhite format.
But in the amazon store it says:

Available for these devices:
Kindle Fire HDX 8.9''
Kindle Fire HDX
Kindle Fire HD(2nd Generation)
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"
Kindle Fire HD(1st Generation)
Kindle Fire(2nd Generation)
Kindle Fire(1st Generation)

Notice that paperwhite is not among them. Plus I can't find it in the store if I access it from my kindle.

I'm new to this kindle stuff.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:51 AM   #4
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9''
Kindle Fire HDX
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

Notice that paperwhite is not among them. Plus I can't find it in the store if I access it from my kindle.

Okay I see what you are saying after looking at 'available for these devices'
I'm not sure why it is restricted other than it may use a newer format that is incompatible with older (or non-color?) devices. It is available for the 'kindle reading apps' apparently....
Quote:
Free Kindle Reading Apps
Kindle for Android Phones
Kindle for Android Tablets
Kindle for iPhone
Kindle for iPod Touch
Kindle for iPad
Kindle for Mac
Kindle for PC
I'll leave it to others more knowledgeable in the format issues to address.
Old 12-02-2015, 10:52 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:

Kindle Fire HDX 8.9''
Kindle Fire HDX
Kindle Fire HD 8.9"

That would indicate that the author or publisher has decided that it won't look good on the 6" screen of an eInk Kindle which, given the subject matter, is not surprising.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 10:53 AM   #6
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
That would indicate that the author or publisher has decided that it won't look good on the 6" screen of an eInk Kindle which, given the subject matter, is not surprising.
Yet it's available on Kindle for Android and iPhone which might be tiny 4" screens....weird...
Old 12-02-2015, 10:54 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Yet it's available on Kindle for Android and iPhone which might be tiny 4" screens....weird...
Good point - I hadn't spotted that!

It's possible that it uses "enhanced content" - embedded sound or video - which doesn't work on eInk devices.
Old 12-02-2015, 11:00 AM   #8
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Good point - I hadn't spotted that!

It's possible that it uses "enhanced content" - embedded sound or video - which doesn't work on eInk devices.
Must be something like that, or color as I mentioned (graphs/diagrams?), or just a weird publisher restriction....
Old 12-02-2015, 12:08 PM   #9
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
It is 'print replica' format (PDF in .mobi clothing). Kindles do not support that.

I would just buy a print copy. It is cheaper.

Last edited by tomsem; 12-02-2015 at 12:11 PM.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2015, 12:09 PM   #10
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
It is 'print replica' format (PDF in .mobi clothing). Kindles do not support that.
Thanks - that explains it .
Old 12-02-2015, 12:11 PM   #11
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
Thanks
Old 12-02-2015, 03:39 PM   #12
mouse_wireless

Oh right.. I did see it said "print copy" in the title but didn't exactly know what it meant. So it's just a clone of the pdf then huh?.. that's disappointing.

Thanks everyone for the answers
Old 12-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #13
Bookatarian
Zealot
Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookatarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
My son rented it from Amazon and used it with the Kindle for Mac application, rather than a tablet. This worked for all his academic needs in and out of class.
Bookatarian is offline   Reply With Quote