Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 05-11-2013, 06:14 PM   #1381
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite(10th)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade Aislin View Post
I tried it on one of the ships that contains a name with the < >. It went from: implied Sam/Frodo=>Sam <Samwise Gamgee>/Frodo Baggins=>Frodo Baggins/Sam <Samwise Gamgee> with no problem. It doesn't seem like the &lt; is needed, but I could be wrong.
Look inside the generated ebook at the title page. If there's going to be a problem with them, that's where it will be.
Quote:
That would be great.
If I could input what I'd get from the actual site easily, it would be easier to figure out how to get the output I want.
Yeah, that's actually how I test these things when I help out--I add them to the code for test1.com. But I can see how that's inconvenient for others.
Old 05-11-2013, 06:30 PM   #1382
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kobo Auro H2O, PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimmXinu View Post
Look inside the generated ebook at the title page. If there's going to be a problem with them, that's where it will be.
You're right. When I checked the generated ebook title page, the words in the < > were missing. When I changed to the &lt; &gt;, it showed up.

Thanks.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:43 AM   #1383
Jade Aislin
Groupie
Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.Jade Aislin could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Now that I've looked at the title page, I've decided to either change how the title page looks or use the Generate cover plugin. However there are problems with both.

I'm not sure how to edit what comes on the title page. Is there a way to reorder how things appear on the page? Also, I have my categories, characters, and ships sorted into big sub categories based on where the fandom is from (Books, TV, Movie). However, I don't care that big category on the title page. Is there a way to do a replace metadata for items on the title page? I'm thinking of something like the search and replace used when you edit bulk metadata.

The only problem I have with the Generate Cover plugin is the description or summary section. When I try to add that to my cover, it picks up all of what I believe are html code.

In calibre the summary for one story reads:
What if Bilbo had been born mute?

But when I generate a cover, I get:

<blockquote><p>What if Blibo had been born mute?</p>

Is there a way to strip out that html code on the description/summary column? Should I ask this question in the generate cover plugin forum?
Old 05-12-2013, 11:45 AM   #1384
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer
JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JimmXinu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I'm not sure how to edit what comes on the title page. Is there a way to reorder how things appear on the page? Also, I have my categories, characters, and ships sorted into big sub categories based on where the fandom is from (Books, TV, Movie). However, I don't care that big category on the title page. Is there a way to do a replace metadata for items on the title page? I'm thinking of something like the search and replace used when you edit bulk metadata.
Look at the titlepage_entries ini parameter to change the order. Look at the custom formatting page for changing the HTML.

You're well familiar with the search and replace feature--replace_metadata. If you want to have different metadata in calibre and on the title page, you'll have to use (add_to_)extra_valid_entries and include_in_* parameters to create new metadata entries to treat different.

You may find it helpful to remember that you can apply the same replacement rule to more than one metadata entry:
genre,category=>Humor=>Comedy
Quote:
The only problem I have with the Generate Cover plugin is the description or summary section. When I try to add that to my cover, it picks up all of what I believe are html code.
My only idea for that one is to look at the calibre templating language. kiwidude over on the Generate Cover thread may have more advice.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:06 PM   #1385
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
Look at the titlepage_entries ini parameter to change the order. Look at the custom formatting page for changing the HTML.
Thanks. I knew there had to be somewhere I could look up the information. I just couldn't figure out where. I've been able to rearrange how the metadata looks on the page.

Quote:
You're well familiar with the search and replace feature--replace_metadata. If you want to have different metadata in calibre and on the title page, you'll have to use (add_to_)extra_valid_entries and include_in_* parameters to create new metadata entries to treat different.
I'm a little confused on this part though. I created the extra entries:
Code:
extra_valid_entries:tcategory
include_in_tcategory:category

tcategory=>Book/Comics.=>
But I am unsure where to place it. Do I place it before the title page entry/label section in the default? Do I paste in the title page code from the custom page in the custom formatting page under the epub section and place my extra valid entries into the metadata section?

I also had trouble figuring out how to get it to show up in the title page. I added into the the title page entry/label section:
tcategory:Fandom

Then I tried to use that under title_page_entries, but the output only gave tcategory before the characters.

I haven't used the extra valid entry or the include in parameters very much, so I am very confused as to where to place them and how to get a new valid entry to show on the title page.

Quote:
You may find it helpful to remember that you can apply the same replacement rule to more than one metadata entry:
genre,category=>Humor=>Comedy
I did not realize that. That could be extremely helpful. not only in the title page, but elsewhere in my code.

Quote:
My only idea for that one is to look at the calibre templating language. kiwidude over on the Generate Cover thread may have more advice.
I noticed when looking at the defaults entry that there is a set summary html value which I have set to true. I think that might strip the html tags like I wanted. However, I have it set to true because I want to get covers when available. Also, I'd rather perfect the title page than use the covers, so I think I'll wait on the cover. Thanks though.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:13 PM   #1386
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
I'm a little confused on this part though. I created the extra entries:
Code:
extra_valid_entries:tcategory

tcategory=>Book/Comics.=>
But I am unsure where to place it.
If you plan to use tcategory for all sites, I suggest under [defaults]. If only with AO3, under [archiveofourown.org] And I would use:

add_to_extra_valid_entries:,tcategory

...(Note 'add_to_' and the comma) Otherwise you have to copy the existing extra_valid_entries from defaults.ini. This will just add to it.
Quote:
I also had trouble figuring out how to get it to show up in the title page. I added into the the title page entry/label section:
tcategory:Fandom
tcategory_label:Fandom
Old 05-12-2013, 02:46 PM   #1387
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
If you plan to use tcategory for all sites, I suggest under [defaults]. If only with AO3, under [archiveofourown.org] And I would use:

...(Note 'add_to_' and the comma) Otherwise you have to copy the existing extra_valid_entries from defaults.ini. This will just add to it.

The add_to was what I was missing to get it to show up correctly. However, I'm still having a problem with the replace_metadata. I placed this code after the regular labels for the title page in the default section:

Code:

replace_metadata:
 tcategory=>Book/Comics\.=>

While I was able to get the tcategory to show up, it still had the 'Book/Comics.' that I'm trying to get rid of on the title page. Do I need to place the replace metadata somewhere else?

Also I miswrote in my last post. I had put in 'tcategory_label' before, it was just the add_to that I was missing.

I am sorry about asking so many questions all at once. I'm planning on a trip in a couple months and I'm trying to get the stories I take with me corrected so I don't have problems figuring out what to read then.
Old 05-12-2013, 02:49 PM   #1388
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
Code:

replace_metadata:

While I was able to get the tcategory to show up, it still had the 'Book/Comics.' that I'm trying to get rid of on the title page. Do I need to place the replace metadata somewhere else?
Are you sure you're showing tcategory and not category in the title page? IE, the titlepage_entries param has tcategory and not category? I find change the label to something different is a good way to be sure.
Old 05-12-2013, 03:04 PM   #1389
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
Are you sure you're showing tcategory and not category in the title page? IE, the titlepage_entries param has tcategory and not category? I find change the label to something different is a good way to be sure.
I don't think so. I never changed the label for the category and Fandom is showing up instead of Category in the titlepage.

The code looks like this:
Code:
category_label:Category

replace_metadata:

titlepage_entries: seriesHTML,tcategory,characters,ships,genre,warnings,status,numChapters,numWords,rating,datePublished,dateUpdated,description,site
If it was the category, wouldn't it show 'Category' and not 'Fandom'?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:24 PM   #1390
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

That seems to work fine for me.

Attached is a new version that allows for configurable testing with test1.com story URLs. I put this in my personal.ini:

Code:
[test1.com]

replace_metadata:
 category=>(The Tick|Batman)=>Book/Comics.\1

titlepage_entries: seriesHTML,tcategory,characters,ships,genre,warnings,status,numChapters,numWords,rating,datePublished,dateUpdated,description,site

[teststory:1002]
category_list:The Tick, Harry Potter, Batman
And created a story with: http://test1.com?sid=1002

Category appears to be 'correct' in both calibre tags and titlepage.

Here's a basic overview of setting up test stories. It only applies to test1.com sid numbers 1000 and higher.
Spoiler:
Code:
[teststory:defaults]
valid_entries:title,author_list,authorId_list,authorUrl_list,storyUrl,
 datePublished,dateUpdated,numWords,status,language,series,seriesUrl,
 rating,category_list,genre_list,warnings_list,characters_list

# {{storyId}} is a special case--it's the only one that works.
title:Test Story Title {{storyId}}
author_list:Test Author aa
authorId_list:1
authorUrl_list:http://test1.com?authid=1
storyUrl:http://test1.com?sid={{storyId}}
datePublished:1975-03-15
dateUpdated:1975-04-15
numWords:123,456
language:English

chaptertitles:Prologue

## Add additional sections with different numbers to get different
## parameters for different story urls.
## test1.com?sid=1000
[teststory:1000]
# note the leading commas when doing add_to_ with valid_entries and *_list
add_to_valid_entries:,favs
title:Testing New Feature {{storyId}}
author_list:Bob Smith
authorId_list:45
authorUrl_list:http://test1.com?authid=45
datePublished:2013-03-15
dateUpdated:2013-04-15
numWords:1456
favs:56
series:The Great Test [4]
seriesUrl:http://test1.com?seriesid=1
rating:Tweenie
category_list:Harry Potter,Furbie,Crossover,Puella Magi Madoka Magica/魔法少女まどか★マギカ,Magical Girl Lyrical Nanoha
genre_list:Fantasy,Comedy,Sci-Fi,Noir
warnings_list:Swearing,Violence
characters_list:Bob Smith,George Johnson,Fred Smythe

chaptertitles:Prologue,Chapter 1\, Xenos on Cinnabar,Chapter 2\, Sinmay on Kintikin,3. Chapter 3

UPDATE Remove obsolete beta versions

Last edited by JimmXinu; 05-26-2013 at 09:02 PM. Reason: Remove obsolete beta versions
Old 05-12-2013, 04:44 PM   #1391
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
That seems to work fine for me.

Attached is a new version that allows for configurable testing with test1.com story URLs. I put this in my personal.ini:

Code:
[test1.com]

replace_metadata:
 category=>(The Tick|Batman)=>Book/Comics.\1

[teststory:1002]
category_list:The Tick, Harry Potter, Batman
And created a story with: http://test1.com?sid=1002

Category appears to be 'correct' in both calibre tags and titlepage.
I think I figured out why it wasn't working. I placed the replace_metadata for tcategory in the defaults section. I had the category changed in the AO3 section. When I placed that tcategory changes in the AO3 section, it worked. I'm guessing that I would have to put the category changes into the default section for it to work there.

However, am I right in assuming that it would take the original metadata to edit?

Because I edit how the different categories look before adding the last sub heading (Books/Comics.) (IE: I convert the many ways AO3 has for labeling Lord of the Rings to LOTR.)

As for the test parameters, after looking at the test parameters, I think that's something I could easily do. However, there doesn't seem to be an attached version to your post. Or did I miss it?
Old 05-12-2013, 04:55 PM   #1392
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

Quote:
I think I figured out why it wasn't working. I placed the replace_metadata for tcategory in the defaults section. I had the category changed in the AO3 section. When I placed that tcategory changes in the AO3 section, it worked. I'm guessing that I would have to put the category changes into the default section for it to work there.
You can leave it in defaults if you make it add_to_replace_metadata instead.
Quote:
As for the test parameters, after looking at the test parameters, I think that's something I could easily do. However, there doesn't seem to be an attached version to your post. Or did I miss it?
My bad, I forgot to attach it. It's attached to that post now.
Old 05-12-2013, 05:33 PM   #1393
Jade Aislin
Groupie

Quote:
You can leave it in defaults if you make it add_to_replace_metadata instead.
That worked. Unfortunately, I think I've got it set how I want it for the stories I'm currently getting, so I don't need to test. But I will try out the new test parameters with the next fandom I work on, hopefully during the week.

Thanks.
Old 05-14-2013, 04:23 AM   #1394
lyssette
lyssette began at the beginning.

Device: Nexus 7
Hi! I've been trying to configure my personal.ini, and I'm stuck on how to make it preserve mixed formatting (left, center, and right alignment) rather than force a single type of alignment for sites like FFnet or AO3.

default for the [epub] (spaces not showing here, but it's there)...
output_css:
body { background-color: #%(background_color)s;
text-align: justify;
margin: 2%%;
adobe-hyphenate: none; }

I know if I change it to "text-align: left" or "right" it does affect the text. In an earlier post, I saw someone say they omitted it from their personal.ini to preserve formatting, but when I remove that line, every thing still seems justified in calibre. I'm at a loss as to whether it's something I left in calibre or if I'm still not editing the personal.ini correctly.

Edit: OK, I think that person must have meant something else. I suspect formatting is stripped and you only have the option of one type of alignment.

Last edited by lyssette; 05-14-2013 at 04:48 AM.
Old 05-14-2013, 11:29 AM   #1395
JimmXinu
Plugin Developer

@lyssette - You're correct that a lot of style/formatting is stripped away when using FFDL. I'm generally more concerned with consistent output than preserving formatting.

However, if you give me an example story URL (and where to look in it) for the different formatting you want preserved, I'll look into it.
Closed Thread