Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2010, 08:03 AM   #1
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
pdf bookmarks

I'm starting to experience the not-so-perfect handling of pdf files on kindle, but by far what is bothering me is that it is impossible to edit bookmarks.
I have a few books that I could read much more easily if I just could bookmark at the chapters start,and edit the b.m.name, instead of having just page.xxx as indication.
Is it possible to do even some kind of low level editing? There is some ascii file linked to the pdf file where the b.m's are stored?

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #2
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can't edit bookmarks on the Kindle for regular books, either. A bookmark just marks the place in a book. When you display them (My Notes and Marks), it just shows the location, and the first line at the bookmark.

The bookmarks for a regular Kindle file are in the .mbp file, which is not just a plain ASCII file. A notation is added to the "My Clippings.txt" file when you bookmark a regular Kindle book. I'm not sure about .pdf files.

In regular books, you can add notes, and those are editable, but you cannot add notes for pdfs, I believe. You could convert the book, perhaps, and then you could add notes, which are tied to a location.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2010, 02:53 PM   #3
alexxxm
Addict
alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.alexxxm has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Rocket; Hiebook; N700; Sony 505; Kindle DX ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
You can't edit bookmarks on the Kindle for regular books, either. A bookmark just marks the place in a book. When you display them (My Notes and Marks), it just shows the location, and the first line at the bookmark.
I wish it would just do that... a first line of text would show me more or less where I am. Probably 'cause I try to set them at chapters' start, I have just lines like this:

page x
page y
page z

not very informative I fear!

alessandro
alexxxm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 08:36 AM   #4
alexxx
Connoisseur
alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alexxx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The bookmarks for a regular Kindle file are in the .mbp file, which is not just a plain ASCII file. A notation is added to the "My Clippings.txt" file when you bookmark a regular Kindle book. I'm not sure about .pdf files.
as far as I can tell, my bookmarked PDFs have a small .pdr file with the same name.

anybody knows about it?

alessandro
alexxx is offline   Reply With Quote