Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Which Techonology is the best overall?
Reflective LCD 21 26.92%
E-Ink 57 73.08%
Voters: 78. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-02-2010, 08:51 PM   #121
akira28
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
I wonder how much development of reflective LCD is still going on. I would love to see some next generation stuff coming out. Lots of epaper on the way to production and to market, but other than ChLCD, we don't hear much about LCD on that front.
Sharp had some impressive looking reflective displays last June, both monochrome and color. Sadly we have not yet seen these come to market in the form of an ereader.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...090605/171330/
Old 05-03-2010, 12:17 PM   #122
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Well... I have a Sony PRS-505, PRS-300 and an Aluratech Libre. All are quite legible but I prefer the e-ink to the lcd.

The lcd suffers from the problems all lcd displays have. To get maximum contrast I have to view the screen at an angle. If I look at it straight on, the contrast is no better than e-ink.

The lcd has a slight greenish-yellow cast to it in contrast to the neutral very light gray of e-ink.

Battery life is longer for e-ink but that just means that I have to charge the Libre more often.

LCD displays update faster but e-ink isn't really any slower than I turn the page in a book so I don't see that as an issue.

I have no issue with reading on either an lcd of any type or e-ink. I spend up to 12 hours a day with a computer (22-24" screen) with no problems. All that is required is to set the contrast and brightness correctly. And the correct strength of reading glasses for the conditions.

Resolution is very important (in terms of pixels per unit length). The 5" lcd has about the same resolution as the 6" e-ink. The 5" e-ink display is much better and appears sharper.

That said, I prefer e-ink for reading, colour would be nice.

There are other factors as well. The "fit and finish" of the Sony readers is far better than the Libre. The Libre feels cheap and shoddy. I expect the poorly designed cover for the memory and usb connections to break and fall off no matter how careful I am.

If (when) I get a new reader, the display is only a small part of the criteria I will use to choose with. But my preference, all esle being equal, would be for e-ink.

Note: LCD display do NOT have a refresh rate. The refresh rate only refers to the number of times an electron beam draws the screen on a CRT. This parameter has no meaning for the lcd display.

cheers
the grumbling curmudgeon
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 03:10 PM   #123
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by grumbles View Post
Note: LCD display do NOT have a refresh rate. The refresh rate only refers to the number of times an electron beam draws the screen on a CRT. This parameter has no meaning for the lcd display.
LCDs are indeed actively refreshed/redrawn. To claim otherwise is silly semantics.
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #124
grumbles
Addict
grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.grumbles ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pandigital Novel (Black), T-2 and 3, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
LCDs are indeed actively refreshed/redrawn. To claim otherwise is silly semantics.
Yes they are but this has nothing to do with the refresh rate that is set in the video driver. It is not silly semantics.

If you decrease the refresh rate with a CRT, you will start to notice a distinct flicker on the screen, first in your peripheral vision (most sensitive to movement) and then in your central vision. This is a physical change in the nature of the display.

With an LCD the intervals between screen updates will lengthen as the refresh rate drops but there will be no screen flicker as the result of the drop in refresh rate. The screen will look the same.

Since the display has to convert the vga signal to whatever internal format the display uses, there is probably a maximum frame rate that the display can handle. Exceeding this rate may result in missing information but it will not change the naure of the display and certainly not introduce flickering like reducing the refresh rate on a CRT.

If someone has trouble reading lcd dispalys, the refresh rate has nothing to do with it.

cheers
the grumbling curmudgeon
grumbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 05:32 AM   #125
Magnesus
Connoisseur
Magnesus is on a distinguished road

Device: Bebook Neo
Quote:
Originally Posted by akira28 View Post
Sharp had some impressive looking reflective displays last June, both monochrome and color. Sadly we have not yet seen these come to market in the form of an ereader.

http://techon.nikkeibp.co.jp/english...090605/171330/
And don't forget about Pixel Qi.
Magnesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert