Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-06-2009, 09:55 AM   #1
seraph7
seraph7 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs700b
Calibre updates and Capacity

Hi, I'm new to this forum and am an avid eBook Collector. I've begun to use Calibre to try to make sense of my collection (over 35,000 titles! ). I have 2 questions regarding Calibre. First, I am getting update notices every 2 - 3 days and they seem to be minor updates. Will Calibre have an auto-update function that only updates the relevant areas anytime soon? As it is, anytime I want to update I have to download the new file which is over 69Mb It wouldn't be so bad if I had a high speed line, by I'm in Africa using a Satellite line which doesn't go above 30 KBps.

The second matter is this, I want to catalog these 35,000 or so titles. Can Calibre deal with this kind of capacity. I have used some other types of cataloguing systems and have noticed marked drops in system efficiencies when the catalogues grow up to a certain size. Some even limit the no. of titles you can enter into the program.

Will a `bloated' Calibre have any effect on my system speeds? Thanks in advance

Best Regards,

seraph7
seraph7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 09:58 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi seraph, i can't answer most of your questions (any of them, really. sorry) but i'm a bit surprised that calibre seems to be downloading 69mo files for updates ; are you sure about that ? all the updated exes i have downloaded are only about 24mo.

also, since you have a limited bandwidth, maybe you could check the changelog page first, and decide whether you want to install the update, or wait.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-06-2009, 10:26 AM   #3
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
seraph7, you can turn off update notices in the preferences. Just keep an eye on Calibre's changelog and only update when you think it is critical/wanted.

So far my library is at ~22.000 items, and although there is a performance hit while browsing the full library it can handle it just fine (I use the linux version btw) and when you restrict by, say, author or whatever it zooms along just fine.

...But I still wish it had a MySQL backend...
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 11:20 AM   #4
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Heh, and I thought mine with 550 was quite large
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #5
seraph7
seraph7 began at the beginning.

Device: sony prs700b
Many Thanks.

Hi guys,

Many thanks for your answers. I'll be sure to turn off the update notices in future and stick to checking the changelog before downloading any newer build of the program. And yeah, it's about 69Mb since it's a fresh download of each new version of Calibre from Kovidgoyal's website

And thanks to you acidzebra. Knowing that you can handle 20K titles with minimum performance hit is a great relief. Once more thanks a bundle

Hope Kovigoyal comes up with an intelligent automatic updating feature for any ebook downloaded, on his Calibre soon

Best Regards. seraph7
seraph7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert