Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-22-2014, 01:55 PM   #16
pentel
Connoisseur
pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo
I'm still very new on e-books and epub. In the attached screenshot, I see "Download options: Adobe DRM EPUB". I can get these books converted to "EPUB (DRM Free) by using Adobe Digital Editions? Or there is no difference between "Adobe DRM EPUB" and "EPUB (DRM Free)"?

pentel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:58 PM   #17
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
In that screenshot, the DRM free book without the download button is a PREVIEW. Previews only download direct to Kobo devices or the desktop or kobo app, they never have a download button.
Oh, I see. Well, I've still had purchased books without a download button too.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2014, 02:05 PM   #18
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Material flagged as "Adobe DRM EPUB" will continue to have DRM after the download via ADE. In fact, you download an ACSM file which acts as a "ticket" that when processed via ADE allows the download of the ADE file. With the DRM in place you can only read that file on another device that has been authorized with the same ADE key as your PC (and even then, only by an application that supports ADE DRM).

On the other hand, an "EPUB (DRM Free)" can be read by any application than supports EPUB format.

If you google "Apprentice Alf" you might learn of tools that allow the conversion of "Adobe DRM EPUB" protected files to "EPUB (DRM Free)" files.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 02:52 PM   #19
pentel
Connoisseur
pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.pentel is far, far better than a slap in the face with a wet fish.

Device: Kobo
Thanks for the info, Peter.

I finally bought a Kobo device, I planned to buy Kobo Glo but ended up buying a black Kobo Mini because it is on sale for $39.99 and the Kobo Mini fits my pocket without the need to carry it in my hands or a bag.
pentel is offline   Reply With Quote