Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-02-2018, 04:40 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
What is your preferred font size, and distance of ereader to eyes?

I don't know if the font size setting is the same on all kindles, but on my oasis, I hold my device about 1.5 foot away from my eyes, and am ok with font setting 2.
On my desk, I put it 2 ft away, and have to increase font size to 4.

What's your preferred reading setting?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 04:44 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
I am at one foot and typically have an ereader on font size 4.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 04:54 PM   #3
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
That is the magic of digital books. My needs change depending on what device I'm reading on, ambient lighting, where I'm reading, which pair of glasses I'm wearing, time of day, etc. The ability to change font style, size, and line spacing, on an "as needed" basis is what gave reading for pleasure back to me.

I have no "default."
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:09 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I use size 4 bold 3 on bookerly. What font I use determines what size and how bold I need.

Distance? Not sure. It would be always the same as I have to look through my bifocals. I don't have much in between vision as I am far sighted. So bifocal for reading and rest for TV and driving. The rest is a blur

Its probably about 1.5 feet or so. I haven't measured. Its why I don't read much sitting on a table on a stand as I have to lean forward to get it sharp through the bifocals and that hurts my neck and back after a while. Talk about slouching.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #5
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
I have my own FONT_RAMP file on my Oasis 2, as my favorite size is somewhere between 5 and 6. On my Voyage and the Oasis 2016 size 5 works for me, on the Oasis 2 it's a bit too small because of the bigger screen. I always use Helvetica, bold level 1 on all my Kindles. The reading distance is a foot or so.

I have very poor vision, without glasses I'm half-blind, everything is total blur. I always read with my glasses on and even then I prefer bigger fonts, tiny fonts make my eyes ache pretty fast. I also have the fonts enlarged on my laptop, my tablet and my phone.

Last edited by Sirtel; 01-02-2018 at 05:27 PM.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-02-2018, 05:36 PM   #6
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
If I remember correctly, the font size 4 on my old non-touch basics was about the same as size 5 on the newer Kindles. No idea about Kobo.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 05:45 PM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
The Kindle font size indication is quite confusing, as you have the font size number, and the font size, as well as any zoom function.
It would have made more sense if the Kindle would say 'standard font size: 14pt' (or something).
But not sure where they're getting the number '4' from, as standard font on the Oasis.
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:29 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
And just what is font size 4?
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 06:31 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I don't know if the font size setting is the same on all kindles, but on my oasis, I hold my device about 1.5 foot away from my eyes, and am ok with font setting 2.
On my desk, I put it 2 ft away, and have to increase font size to 4.

The problem is that the font sizes have changed and what was font size 4 may no longer be the same. So please give the font size in em.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:17 PM   #10
Lordblacknail
Zealot
Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lordblacknail ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libre 2 Oasis Many Fires Galaxy Tab S7 Plus
I use font size four and bold 2 with Bookerly. I read without glasses. I am 72 and have never needed glasses for reading, but used to use the computer. But after surgery, I only need glasses to drive or watch movies. That's interesting about needing a bigger size on Oasis 2. I don't feel the need yet, but I have only had mine for a week or so.
Lordblacknail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 07:31 PM   #11
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And just what is font size 4?
I have no clue as it is just the 4th setting on my kindle. Or about the default size here.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 11:28 PM   #12
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I also use font size 4 on my Kindle. I'm not really sure how far I keep it from my face. Offhand I'd say about a foot. Maybe a bit more. I'm not sure.

I think the number 4 is just an index. It's the 4th font on the list.

Amazon may have changed the font sizes at some point but I still use size 4. I used to read at size 3 till I tried 4. I'm still comfortable with 3. I just like 4 better. Anyway if it got a little smaller I might not have noticed. Probably that's true if it got a little bigger.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 02:31 AM   #13
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
When I'm outside in bright sunlight, I usually use font size 2--sometimes even going down to 1. In lower light conditions, I increase the font size--usually to 4, and sometimes to 5 if I'm tired, or reading in really low light conditions.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 03:21 AM   #14
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
I never really thought about it too much, but it looks like 3 is the most common font size setting I use. Sometimes I go to 2 on the Kindle 8th Generation, sometimes to 4 on the Touch (but the Constantina font has a smaller face than do the built-in fonts on the Touch). The Keyboard and Non-Touch stays at 3. Actually the Keyboard is becoming my favorite reader. It looks like I hold the Kindles just a bit over a foot away -- maybe 15".
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 05:44 AM   #15
Sonicboom
Enthusiast
Sonicboom began at the beginning.

Device: Oasis 2
I use size 4 on my Oasis 2. and distance? When I am sitting on chair/sofa the distance is around 30 cm (approx. one foot) but when I am in bed it is around 20 cm.
Sonicboom is offline   Reply With Quote