Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 03-30-2015, 12:30 PM   #1
barrydrake
barrydrake began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen
Conversion strange behaviour ....

Hi there ... Any of you familiar with the Bookeen Cybook Opus e-reader? I took the plaintext from this site: https://archive.org/details/revivalofreligio00reed and made it into an odt file. After editing, I imported it into Calibre and made EPUB and PDF files from it. If I put the EPUB file onto me Bookeen, and browse to the directory into which I have copied the EPUB, the Bookeen crashes with no error message and resets continually unti I plug in to my PC and remove the EPUB. If I put the PDF there, it works just fine - up to page 26 - after which all pages show as blank. Both formats read OK in the Book Reader that comes with Calibre, and using Adobe Digital Editions. The Bookeen uses Adobe software which normally works just fine.

My PC is running Linux (Mint and Ubuntu), but I am running Window ADE under wine.

I can read the PDF that I downloaded from the site all the way through, but this is based on the page scans, and not on OCRd text. I don't know enought about the EPUB format to make sense of it, but if I unzip the EPUB file I have created, it is different from most. It has no OEBPS directory, and instead puts the html files (not xtml) and the cover image in the root directory. Does this give any clues? Kind regards, Barry.
barrydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 12:51 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Sticky: How to ask a question about conversion problems

The internal file structure should not make a difference, as the specs permit the files to be anywhere. Only be convention (to make things neat, it became a habit among many) do the files go anywhere particular -- the only hard requirement is the content in META-INF.
If calibre converted it, it should work under most circumstances, but there may be a bug with your device's firmware.

It is possible the Bookeen subforum would know more than us.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 01:07 PM   #3
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Devices have segment (the piece being viewed) size limits

Older devices like Sony and my Astak choked on pieces >260K
Even if the did not choke, One huge segment caused the device to be sluggish.

Split the file
(IIRC Calibre Editor Validate does warn if it sees a oversize segment.)

BTW did you tamper with the default? Preferences:Output Options: split files larger than: (260K is the original default)
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 03:25 PM   #4
barrydrake
barrydrake began at the beginning.

Device: bookeen
Thanks for that. I did the conversion with the 260K default. I've now tried changing it to an arbitrary 100K and the converted file no longer chokes the Bookeen firmware. I have another book that suffers from the same problem. I guess I know what to do this time. Thanks for your help. I'll subscribe to the Bookeen sub-forum and lurk there. Kind regards, Barry Drake.
barrydrake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:13 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrydrake View Post
Thanks for that. I did the conversion with the 260K default. I've now tried changing it to an arbitrary 100K and the converted file no longer chokes the Bookeen firmware. I have another book that suffers from the same problem. I guess I know what to do this time. Thanks for your help. I'll subscribe to the Bookeen sub-forum and lurk there. Kind regards, Barry Drake.
Is that book ALSO image rich(on those missing pages) ? Big images may grab so much RAM that the 260K that usually is fine, is too big.

If you use the EDITOR, you can just split individual sections. (I do per chapter splits, so big (>60K) is rare anyway
theducks is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
bookeen, conversion, epub, pdf