Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-27-2013, 01:15 AM   #61
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
I despaired of ever finding Robert Aickman's The Wine-Dark Sea at a discount and so used a 35% coupon to buy it on Kobo just now.

Of course, the above rant is only relevant to this thread if a discount on the book should suddenly appear here and I'm forced to set fire to my own pelvis.
Had to stoop to buying real woodpulp for this one, but it's still worth the shelf space. A completely amazing work. If only the rest of Aickman's oeuvre would appear in print - digital or even paper.
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2013, 05:49 PM   #62
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
Had to stoop to buying real woodpulp for this one, but it's still worth the shelf space. A completely amazing work. If only the rest of Aickman's oeuvre would appear in print - digital or even paper.
This one's available as an ebook from both Kobo and Amazon:

Cold Hand in Mine, by Robert Aickman

Apropos of this discussion, perhaps (esp. since viewing it is free):

A short film adaptation by Stephen Gray of M.R. James's "The Haunted Dolls' House."
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 01:31 AM   #63
pstjmack
Connoisseur
pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.pstjmack knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Android tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Apropos of this discussion, perhaps (esp. since viewing it is free):

A short film adaptation by Stephen Gray of M.R. James's "The Haunted Dolls' House."
Although I notice it's no longer free, I picked up A.N. Donaldson's 'Prospero's Mirror' from a recommendation here and was blown away. The author channels the ghost of James to stunning effect:

http://www.amazon.com/Prosperos-Mirr...mm_kin_title_0
pstjmack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 06:58 PM   #64
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW, KF, KF HD, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Blood Society by Jeffrey Thomas is $1.99 from Necro.
Now $.99.

ETA: Another great writer, BTW.

Last edited by NightBird; 05-28-2013 at 07:32 PM.
NightBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2013, 07:24 PM   #65
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pstjmack View Post
Although I notice it's no longer free, I picked up A.N. Donaldson's 'Prospero's Mirror' from a recommendation here and was blown away. The author channels the ghost of James to stunning effect.
Picked that up as well. Thanks for reminding me to actually read it!
Old 05-28-2013, 07:46 PM   #66
NightBird
Wizard
NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NightBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Dangerous Red by Mehitobel Wilson is $.99 from Necro. Fourteen short stories -- 250 pages.

Quote:
This is the first collection of beautifully dark fiction from one of the most promising new writers in modern horror. This book features Bel's brilliant 'The Mannerly Man" from THE DARKER SIDE anthology edited by John Pelan as well as stories from numerous other anthologies and magazine appearances. Also contains many never before published pieces and features an introduction from David J. Schow.

Mehitobel Wilson has been publishing horror fiction since 1999. She is a Bram Stoker Award nominee, and many of her stories have been granted Honorable Mentions in the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror series.
There are two versions of this book of short stories by Richard Matheson on sale for $4.48, down from $7.99 and then $6.83 from Macmillan. As far as I can tell the only differences are the cover and title change to The Box in the 2010 version to promote the movie by that name of the title story. Previous version in 2008: Button, Button: Uncanny Stories.

Quote:
What if every time you pushed a button you received $50,000...but someone you didn’t know died? Would you still push the button? How many times?

"Button, Button", which inspired a memorable Twilight Zone episode, is just one of a dozen unforgettable tales in this new collection by Richard Matheson, the New York Times bestselling author of I Am Legend and What Dreams May Come. This volume contains a number of stories that were adapted for television, as well as a new introduction by Matheson himself.

This collection of stories features "Button, Button," soon to be a major motion picture starring Cameron Diaz and James Marsden.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #67
NightBird
Wizard

Horror thriller City of Iron by Chet Williamson is $.99 from Crossroad Press. This is the first book in a trilogy. The second and third books are $2.99 each.

Quote:
Something is out there, and everything we know, everything we believe, everything we are – is doomed.

Their identities are a secret. Their mission does not exist. There is no one they can trust…not even the one man pulling the strings.

A trio of uniquely talented CIA operatives, their mission to explain the inexplicable: to debunk the work of psychic tricksters, magicians and frauds whose calculated deceptions pose a serious threat to security and the national psyche. But the strange disappearance of an artist in New York , coupled with the discovery of elevn charred bodies in an Adirondack mountain lodge – corpses that forensic evidence indicates are centuries old – suggest to agents Laika Harris, Tony Luciano, and Joseph Stein that there is more to their assignment than they've been led to believe, that the truth they seek is rooted in a conspiracy that stretches back countless millennia and is centered around the release of the most powerful prisoner the world has ever known – a conspiracy that could shatter every belief about the origin of man…and God.
Old 05-30-2013, 03:43 AM   #68
NightBird
Wizard

Free from Grindhouse Press:
House of Fallen Trees
by Gina Ranalli.

Quote:
"Two men have the carcass." These words, heard over a crackling telephone line, change writer Karen Lewis's life for the worse. Months earlier, her brother went missing in the small rural town of Fallen Trees, Washington. And now she finds out he willed his half of a bizarre bed and breakfast to her. "Two men have the carcass." Is this ominous phrase enough to draw her into the mystery of Fallen Trees? Is the answer to her brother's disappearance located there? Or is it just a trap, something designed to draw her into a nightmare world and break her sanity? What horror awaits Karen in the House of Fallen Trees?
Old 05-30-2013, 03:50 AM   #69
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Moody View Post
For those who don't mind paying $10 for an e-book, Ash-Tree Press' e-book edition of A Pleasing Terror: The Complete Supernatural Writings is the one to get. . . . But since the print edition is long out of print and costs hundreds of dollars secondhand, the e-book is really a bargain even at $10. A Pleasing Terror is available for Kindle, or direct from the publisher in EPUB and PRC.
Since I prefer the epub format, and have since read good reviews of that particular version of the collection, I bought Pleasing Terror directly from the publisher the day before yesterday. Despite receiving automatic replies from both Ash-Tree Press and Paypal confirming that my transaction was completed successfully, I haven't yet received a link to a downloadable copy of the book or the book as an attached file.

I've emailed the publisher and also left a voice message, but neither has been answered. It was only after rereading the purchase page that I learned "eBook files are delivered to you by email as soon as possible following receipt of payment advice from Paypal."

Even so, in lieu of any status update whatsoever, I did wonder briefly whether I'd reached URL equivalent of a forsaken retail grave. I can see Thomas Ligotti writing a piece about the systematic deterioration of its abandoned DHTML ("SEPTEMBER 2010: END OF SUMMER BARGAINS!").

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-30-2013 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-30-2013, 08:24 AM   #70
Brendan Moody
Groupie
Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Brendan Moody ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, Kindle Fire HD 8.9 4G LTE, LG Ultimate 2
When I've ordered e-books direct from them in the past they've usually e-mailed them as attached files within 24 hours. Let me know if too much longer passes without a reply; I'm a member of a ghost-story e-mail list run by the operators of Ash-Tree Press, so I can also nudge them there if necessary.
Brendan Moody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2013, 02:42 PM   #71
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendan Moody View Post
When I've ordered e-books direct from them in the past they've usually e-mailed them as attached files within 24 hours. Let me know if too much longer passes without a reply; I'm a member of a ghost-story e-mail list run by the operators of Ash-Tree Press, so I can also nudge them there if necessary.
Brendan:

Thanks so much for the support! I received a note from the editor/publisher this afternoon offering an apology for the delay (due to an outage, apparently) and the book as an attached file. Thanks tons for recommending it; despite the occasional typo, it's lovingly and authoritatively edited, extras-engorged and satisfying to read. Whereas the M.R. James Megapack was so inattentively edited and baldly formatted that I actually found it demoralizing. For a few scant moments, I wondered why I read ebooks at all.

Then *A Pleasing Terror* reminded me.
Old 05-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #72
NightBird
Wizard

Six from E-Reads by Ray Garton reduced from $4.99 to $3.82.

Ravenous

Quote:
When Emily Crane’s car breaks down on a dark, lonely road at night, she is attacked and raped by a man she kills in self defense. That night, the dead rapist walks out of the morgue. Later, Emily begins to experience strange cravings and her body undergoes terrifying changes.

When brutal killings leave victims partially eaten in the northern California coastal town of Big Rock, Sheriff Arlin Hurley scoffs at the talk of werewolves...until a tuft of wolf’s fur is found on a victim. It soon becomes clear that whatever is responsible for the killings, it’s not alone. There are more than one. And they are doing something much worse than killing and eating people.

Nearly 25 years ago, Ray Garton reinvented the vampire mythos with his erotic novel Live Girls. Now he has updated the curse of the werewolf in Ravenous.
Bestial

Quote:
Something dark and sinister is spreading through the California town of Big Rock. Something more brutal and animalistic than normally lurks in the shadows of our daily lives. And, it’s numbers are growing exponentially.

Werewolves have arrived like an epidemic. This time, though, the outbreak is careful, planned by the hungry monsters themselves. This time, the werewolves have dug their claws in deep and continue to grow ever more powerful. As the infection transfers through grisly violence and horrific sex, the entire town transforms into either starved predator or terrified prey. This time, there's no escape.

Can the remaining band of humans fight back? Are there enough left to stop the trail of terror? Were there ever enough? This gut-wrenching follow-up to RAVENOUS by Grand Master of Horror Ray Garton will have you too scared to turn the page...or too scared to stop, if only to seek refuge in its shocking end.
Live Girls

Quote:
Davey's on the down and out when he loses his girl, his job and practically his sanity. While some men drown themselves in a forgiving bottle, Davey believes it's much more profitable to sink into Times Square's nightlife and lose himself inside Live Girls. They are the free ravishing pleasures who beckon Davey into a world of irresistible fantasy and ecstasy.
Scissors

Quote:
When he was a boy, Stuart Mullond’s mother held him down while his urologist Dr. Ferguson performed a medical procedure on him that was so traumatizing and humiliating that its painful memory stayed with him for decades. For his entire life, his nightmares have been haunted by the snick-snick-snick of the doctor’s scissors.

Now a divorced, unemployed adult with a troubled teenage son, Stuart is trying to hold his life together...when Dr. Ferguson suddenly shows up again. He’s not confined to nightmares anymore. He’s very real. And he is determined to perform that same horrible procedure on Stuart’s son. But all these years later, Dr. Ferguson looks exactly as he did when Stuart was a boy. And he’s kept his scissors nice and sharp ...

Snick-snick-snick!
The New Neighbor

Quote:
The Pritchard family is quite content in their home on Deerfield Avenue...until Lorelle Dupree moves in across the street. The new neighbor is astonishingly beautiful...friendly...and seductive. Each member of the Pritchard family surrenders to her advances and Lorelle’s influence changes them in shocking ways. Soon everyone on Deerfield is changing. And then the killings start.

The new neighbor is not interested in borrowing a cup of sugar or using your weed-whacker. She’s more interested in your soul.

In Ray Garton’s legendary erotic horror novel THE NEW NEIGHBOR, sex isn’t just for pleasure anymore.

THE NEW NEIGHBOR was originally published in 1991 as a limited 500-copy run (with extreme artwork by J.K. Potter) by Charnel House, and was re-released by Cemetery Dance in 2003 in a limited 1000-copy reissue.
Shackled

Quote:
Children disappear all the time. It’s in the news every day. Where do they go? What happens to them? Who has taken them?

While covering a story for his tabloid newspaper, reporter Bentley Noble accidentally stumbles onto something else entirely...a story about something so unspeakable, he doesn’t know if anyone will believe it...a story that pulls him down into the depths of evil and depravity and threatens his very life.

With the help of a bestselling true-crime writer, Noble descends into the dark world of human trafficking, where fear and pain are tools of control and innocence is sold to the highest bidder. As a handful of good and decent people try to combat a monstrously powerful and all too real evil, some lives will be shattered, others will be ended...but none will be the same.
Old 05-31-2013, 07:42 PM   #73
NightBird
Wizard

Yaccub's Curse by Wrath James White $.99 from Necro. Down from $3.99.

Quote:
Malik is an enforcer for the most notorious drug dealer in G-town. But when he is ordered to kill a local crack whore and her newborn child he has a revelation that leads him into a desperate battle with a man who might be Satan himself. Caught in a struggle between good and evil, sanity and madness, redemption and damnation, the violence of the streets and the power of the occult, Malik must risk his life to save a newborn crack baby that he believes to be Jesus Christ. But is Malik a force good or were he and his employer both created millenniums ago by an evil geneticist for the same purpose, to ensure strife between the races.
The Man in the Window by C. Dennis Moore $.99 from Crossroad Press.

Quote:
When Todd Morgan finally moved out on his own, the last thing he
expected was the feeling of isolation that came with breaking his leg
in a new town, far from his home. That feeling only got worse when
the man in the window showed up, a small somehow familiar man who did
nothing, just stood there and stared. The worst part is Todd’s the
only one who can see him. But this is no imaginary playmate. The man
in the window brings with him memories Todd buried years ago, and once
they’re woken, he’ll have to make a trip back home to revisit the
worst day of his life.
Revelations by C. Dennis Moore $.99 from Necro.

Quote:
A MAN FROZEN IN TIME...

Geoffrey was an experiment in cryogenics. But someone forgot to wake him up...fifty years ago! Now he’s awake and finding out the world isn’t exactly the way he left it.

HELL ON EARTH...

The Lord led the righteous to Heaven and left Hell to literally open up on Earth. And Hell is spreading like an infection. Unfortunately it’s inside that infection where Geoffrey has to go in search of answers, the most important being: Why wasn't he taken?

A JOURNEY THROUGH DARKNESS

Geoffrey must face the worst that Hell can throw at him as he sets out on an epic journey taking him through The Garden, The Cavern of God's Silence, the Island of Wails and more as the answers to all of Geoffrey's questions reveal themselves and at the end of his journey his final revelation can have the power to change the world…if he's man enough to pull the trigger.

Last edited by NightBird; 05-31-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:29 AM   #74
NightBird
Wizard

Gary Brandner (The Howling, Cameron's Closet) books $.99 each as the horror genre part of the Prologue Books sale. He also writes suspense.

These are the horror ones:

http://www.prologuebooks.com/books/horror

Last edited by NightBird; 06-01-2013 at 05:32 AM.
Old 06-01-2013, 05:57 AM   #75
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBird View Post
Gary Brandner (The Howling, Cameron's Closet) books $.99 each as the horror genre part of the Prologue Books sale. He also writes suspense.

These are the horror ones:

http://www.prologuebooks.com/books/horror
Thanks picked up most of his horror books.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote