Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-27-2013, 09:15 PM   #16
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
To add another one that I just finished.

The Hunter by Richard Stark (aka Donald Westlake) - The first book in the Parker novels series. Non-stop, unabashedly violent, well written. I'll need to pick up more in this series.
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 09:36 AM   #17
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Well, I've got one that has some peanut butter and jam on it that's a little sticky to the fingers.

Roddy Doyle's The Woman Who Walked into Doors had me sucked in.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:59 PM   #18
barutanseijin
Nxfgrrjks
barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barutanseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: aura hd
The Sound and the Fury, especially the Quentin section.
barutanseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:10 AM   #19
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
Quote:
Originally Posted by mewmartigan View Post
Star Wars: Scoundrels by Timothy Zahn.

Love star wars and the idea of a heist novel is great! Plus it takes place between Star Wars and Empire so it doesn't get bogged down in the whole expanded universe mess.
Love this book....Oceans Eleven in Star Wars....what a concept..and a Star Wars books that doesn't really use "the force", or "sith" but so well done, is just fantastic!!

Just actually reviewed this on my blog.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:34 AM   #20
BadBilly
Nodding at stupid things
BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BadBilly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T1, OnePlus 6, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, iPad Mini 2, PC
Three come to mind:

The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester. A classic science fiction novel. It tells a truly epic story in only about 200 (paper) pages. It's one of my all-time favourite books but I still found it compelling on this read through.

American Psycho by Bret Easton Elis. Another of my all time favourites. The best satire of the '80s ever. Much of it applies today as well. Not for everyone. If all you've seen in the movie (a crime against a great book), this is the real deal. Horrible and compelling.

Nostromo by Joseph Conrad. Part of my undertaking to read some "great books." I found this to be a book I couldn't wait to get back to every time I had to stop. A richly imagined story that explores the question of how character drives us forward, leading us to good choices and bad. I found the Sony T1's many dictionaries helpful with this as Mr. Conrad includes bits of Spanish, French, Italian, and, I think, a bit of German.
BadBilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #21
mewmartigan
Guru
mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mewmartigan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis (2019)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhempel24 View Post
Love this book....Oceans Eleven in Star Wars....what a concept..and a Star Wars books that doesn't really use "the force", or "sith" but so well done, is just fantastic!!

Just actually reviewed this on my blog.

I'll have to take a look at your blog. I'm a bit more than halfway through and I am loving it so far. I hope we see more books like this in the Star Wars Universe. I read that there won't be any more lengthy series for a while after Fate of the Jedi ended and they are going back to single author stories/trilogies.
mewmartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:26 PM   #22
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Herodotus' History
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 02:38 AM   #23
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
Brandon Sanderson's Legion. I have never read a novella as good as that one.
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:10 AM   #24
miklizro
Enthusiast
miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miklizro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S3 running Aldiko and Kindle and Kindle 3 keyboard
Just finished Devon Monk's Allie Beckstom series, fantastic.
miklizro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
Definitely couldn't put down Cold Days by Jim Butcher (or really any of The Harry Dresden Files). The Wool omnibus by Hugh Howey also had me hooked from the first page. Can't wait to start the Shift omnibus.
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:03 AM   #26
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
I found Gone Girl extremely over-rated, imho. But her earlier novel Dark Places was fabulous.

Lately? The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold. Read it in paper years ago, got the ebook to reclaim shelf space and was going to just do a quick check for typos, then I got engrossed.
I thought Gone Girl was a better read than Dark Places, but still think Sharp Objects to be Flynn's best. Gone Girl was incredibly well done as an audiobook - real five star jobs by the narrators!

I listened to The Lovely Bones read by Alyssa Bresnehan, who captured Suzy's voice perfectly; I understand the edition narrated by the author herself isn't nearly as good. By the time Suzy tells her story a bit into the book, Bresnahan's friendly, calm tone makes that graphic account quite bearable.
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:18 PM   #27
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxbookworm View Post
This is not about being high-brow literature, but simply can't-get-anything-done-until-this-book-is-over type literature.
Just wanted to say I'm loving this thread...thank you for starting it.

The Panther is on my TBR list. It will definitely get read this year...just not sure when. (My TBR list has a TBR list of its own, I think...it's getting rather unwieldy )
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:13 PM   #28
rah68
readaholic
rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.rah68 knows better than to ask about the Gravitic Imploder Lance.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, Kindle Fire HD 8.9
Me Before You, JoJo Moyes............simply could not put it down

I had tears in my eyes at times and i was laughing at times.... ...till 4 in the morning.
rah68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 07:31 PM   #29
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
I can't say enough good about Mr. Penumbra's 24 Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #30
barb2cats
Connoisseur
barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.barb2cats can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle 2, iPhone, VIZIO
Any book by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Barb
barb2cats is offline   Reply With Quote