Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-08-2012, 04:51 PM   #31
heySkippy
Groupie
heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.heySkippy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Yeah, Amazon's in business to make money
And it's a problem that they don't make very much money. They've got legions of fans because they sell cheap and have great customer service, but there's going to be a shareholder revolt if they don't figure out how to to turn that into better profits.
heySkippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 04:54 PM   #32
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Yeah, Amazon's in business to make money, and if they find they can get more from upselling ad removal than from ads, they'll be gone.
I'm not so sure. If Amazon is trying to grow that ad avenue, guaranteeing eyeballs is a solid way to do it.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 05:00 PM   #33
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
And it's a problem that they don't make very much money. They've got legions of fans because they sell cheap and have great customer service, but there's going to be a shareholder revolt if they don't figure out how to to turn that into better profits.
I don't know much about Amazon's overall profitability, but the one thing I do know is that my brother sent us a much larger gift certificate last Xmas than the year before: he said it was because he made more from his Amazon stock than he expected.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 10:03 PM   #34
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Optout official for $ 15.

Its now official:

"Amazon Kindle HD Will Allow Users To Opt-Out Of “Special Offers” For $15."

Here is the link:

http://techcrunch.com/2012/09/08/ama...offers-for-15/

I purchased the Kindle Paperwhite without the Special Offers and I will now opt out for my Kindle Fire HD.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 11:45 PM   #35
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
I'm surprised that it is only $15. It is well worth it in my opinion.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2012, 11:50 PM   #36
Andrew H.
Grand Master of Flowers
Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Andrew H. ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle 3 (aka Keyboard), iPhone, iPad 3 (not for reading)
Quote:
Originally Posted by heySkippy View Post
It's not *generally* true that they don't make much money; as recently as 2 or 3 years ago they were making record profits. They've just barely made a profit the last couple of years due to expenses relating to expansion - opening distribution warehouses, but also developing new technology.

3 years ago, Amazon's stock was at 80. Now it's at 260. I don't think stockholders are complaining. (And Bezos is by far the largest shareholder).

Now whether people should be buying Amazon at that price is a different question.
Andrew H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 02:41 AM   #37
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by ucfgrad93 View Post
I'm surprised that it is only $15. It is well worth it in my opinion.
Personally I think there are three factors.
First - it is a a volume thing, make money on a lot of $15 dollar opt out keys.
Second -if there is that kind of volume, then there would be a lot of resentment if there wasn't a way. Even calls for congress to investigate and all that.
Third $15 is cheap enough for most not to fuss too much

Bezos is the last tech genius. Gates has retired. Jobs just died. Einstein is long gone. Schrodinger is chasing his cat. Newton's head was bashed in by an Apple in a dispute where Apple claimed it had invented calculus, telescopes and the solar system.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 04:04 AM   #38
JoHunt
I am what I am
JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JoHunt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad3, Voyage
I'm hoping that since you can now opt-out, Amazon will do its best to tempt us with real special offers so we don't opt-out. I will gladly pay $15 (or $20) to stop seeing those stupid local deals.
JoHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 06:17 AM   #39
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by joehunt View Post
I'm hoping that since you can now opt-out, Amazon will do its best to tempt us with real special offers so we don't opt-out. I will gladly pay $15 (or $20) to stop seeing those stupid local deals.
The local deals are already gone. I haven't seen them on my K3 for some time now.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:12 AM   #40
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
The local deals are already gone. I haven't seen them on my K3 for some time now.
Really?
Since I ignore that ads on the KT I hadn't noticed.
Hmm, that might explained why they valued the ads at $40 worth of subsidy last year but only $15-20 this year.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #41
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
It's not *generally* true that they don't make much money; as recently as 2 or 3 years ago they were making record profits. They've just barely made a profit the last couple of years due to expenses relating to expansion - opening distribution warehouses, but also developing new technology.

3 years ago, Amazon's stock was at 80. Now it's at 260. I don't think stockholders are complaining. (And Bezos is by far the largest shareholder).

Now whether people should be buying Amazon at that price is a different question.
The warehouses look to be springboards for faster delivery. While I'm not sure they'll do same day delivery in too many markets, next day will be more common and easier/cheaper to achieve.

Investors see all those warehouses and staff and figure that they'll translate into more sales. They'll also translate into political power. (Which will come in handy to shut up the Schumers of the world.)

Added up, more revenue and a return to the early decade margins.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:02 AM   #42
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
What fast waffling. First they said you could opt out, then they said no opting out, and now you can opt out again. All this in three days!

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #43
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Really?
Since I ignore that ads on the KT I hadn't noticed.
Hmm, that might explained why they valued the ads at $40 worth of subsidy last year but only $15-20 this year.
I used to have up to 4 or 5 pages of ads when the Locals were going strong. Now that they're gone, I down to 1 or 2 pages.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 10:57 AM   #44
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I'm hoping the ads won't have an opt-out as that is what makes the new Fire models different from the rest.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #45
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I'm hoping the ads won't have an opt-out as that is what makes the new Fire models different from the rest.
It may be a differentiating factor, but the complaints indicated that it was an unpopular one. Nobody wants to be differentiated by having the products they are selling be more annoying than the competition.

Annoyance does not add to Amazon's unique value proposition.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are people who would have refused to buy outright because there was no opt-out but will now buy the new Fires and not opt-out.

The old "I wanted the option even though I wasn't going to use it," scenario.
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote