Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-27-2011, 08:21 PM   #1
DaronFraley
Enthusiast
DaronFraley has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle
NY Times Bestseller Brandon Sanderson is AWESOME

There is no doubt about it, Brandon Sanderson is my favorite writer. I am reading THE WAY OF KINGS, and I am totally enthralled by the opening chapters.

As a writer, I am going slowly as I read, trying to figure out HOW he does what he does. Fauna, Flora, Economics, Politics, Characters who are incredibly human and yet heroic . . . once again I am thrilled. If you have never read Sanderson, start with any series or book you wish. Elantris, the Mistborn series, Warbreaker, and The Way Of Kings . . . all great. If you're a writer who has read his works, let me know what you think.
DaronFraley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:05 AM   #2
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaronFraley View Post
If you have never read Sanderson, start with any series or book you wish. Elantris, the Mistborn series, Warbreaker, and The Way Of Kings . . . all great. If you're a writer who has read his works, let me know what you think.
DO NOT START WITH ELANTRIS! In fact, I'd recommend everyone stay far far away from Elantris. It was amateur and very badly written. Mistborn, on the other hand, is one of the finest series I've ever read. Start there
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Gadget_girl
Connoisseur
Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.Gadget_girl holds these truths to be self-evident.

Device: Aura HD Espresso, Sony PRS-650
I haven't read any of Sanderson's other works, and jumped right in on the Way of Kings. It was terrific. I was engrossed in the story. I could happily ignore everything around me for hours while reading. I read quite a bit of fantasy, and this was very good. One of the best fantasy novels I've read since The Name of the Wind.

I followed it closely on it's heels by the first two books in the Inheritance Trilogy by N.K. Jemisin.
Gadget_girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:41 PM   #4
dengar
Connoisseur
dengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with othersdengar plays well with others

Device: PW2, K3, Ipad 4, Kindle Fire
What was wrong with Elantris? I just finished it last week and I found it very good. Im reading Warbreaker now. What I like about Sanderson is that he can seemingly create entire magic worlds out of thin air. I'll be reading Mistborn after Im done with Warbreaker.
dengar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM   #5
FranchiseBlade
FranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litter

I have a question about The Way of Kings. I like some fantasy, but I'm kind of particular. I've heard nothing but good things about this book so I'm interested.

Is there a high level of magic? Low level of magic?

Are there sci-fi elements or modern touches in his world? Is there a roughly equivalent time period on earth that is similar to era The Way of Kings takes place?

I realize that my questions may seem silly if the book is well written and the characters are interesting. But for some reason I like my fantasy without any modern touches. Yet I don't like it in worlds with a tech level and society as ancient as the Roman civilization. I prefer (though it isn't necessary) to have relatively low magic. I like intrigue, and a gritty feel as opposed to fanciful fairies.

I appreciate any information I could get regarding the novel. Thanks.
FranchiseBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:11 PM   #6
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Read the first book of a planned ten book series??
No thanks, I'll wait until seven or eight of them are available before I even think about reading the first one.

From what I have read, Sanderson appears to be a micro-manager when it comes to world-building... he wants to spoon-feed me each little detail about his world - just in case I should misinterpret and get it wrong, I guess. I prefer to use my own imagination.

He's not alone in this. Many fantasy authors tend to not trust their reader's imaginations enough. The world-building is my job as a reader. I just need a few world-hints to to get the ball rolling.

He's certainly prolific - I'll give him that. But, I'll be very curious to see if he can keep up the aggressive publishing pace he has set for himself.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 09:32 PM   #7
karenr_nz
Connoisseur
karenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-bookskarenr_nz has learned how to read e-books

Device: PB360
I have read Sanderson's work in ghost-writing the final Wheel of Time books. Way of Kings and the Mistborn trilogy have finally become available in NZ, and I've just started the Way of Kings. It's very intricately written, and so far, very intriguing (no modern touches, a totally unique world).
karenr_nz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 10:17 PM   #8
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
My copy of Mistborn was stolen. I keep thinking it will go on sale. It is always about $9, and I don't want to pay that for a re-read.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
queentess
Reading is sexy
queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.queentess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by dengar View Post
What was wrong with Elantris? I just finished it last week and I found it very good. Im reading Warbreaker now. What I like about Sanderson is that he can seemingly create entire magic worlds out of thin air. I'll be reading Mistborn after Im done with Warbreaker.
The excessive info dumps alone were enough for me to hate it, but it also had an overly-sassy princess, bad dialogue and a predictable plot.
queentess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 03:55 PM   #10
FranchiseBlade
FranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litterFranchiseBlade doesn't litter

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenr_nz View Post
I have read Sanderson's work in ghost-writing the final Wheel of Time books. Way of Kings and the Mistborn trilogy have finally become available in NZ, and I've just started the Way of Kings. It's very intricately written, and so far, very intriguing (no modern touches, a totally unique world).
Thanks. I'll put it on my list to check out then. I look forward to it.
FranchiseBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 10:43 PM   #11
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
My copy of Mistborn was stolen. I keep thinking it will go on sale. It is always about $9, and I don't want to pay that for a re-read.
I lied! I sold my 505, and was packing it up to ship this morning. It had a bunch of the books from my stolen laptop! YAY!!!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #12
philandjan
Trainee Old Git
philandjan doesn't litterphilandjan doesn't litter

I think that he was an excellent choice to pick up the Wheel of Time after Robert Jordan's death.

Somehow, he manages to keep the main story line running and doesn't attempt to keep a hundred different balls in the air the same way that Jordan did. Can't wait for the concluding book to be issued.
philandjan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brandon sanderson, elantris, fantasy, mistborn, the way of kings