Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-04-2010, 09:50 PM   #1
judyz
Enthusiast
judyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watchjudyz is clearly one to watch

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-950
What is with all the Trolls? I love my Kobo.

I am new to this site but I was surprised at how many negative comments there are from people. Some seem to have legitimate issues but there also seems to be a lot of trolling going on.

For the record for anyone else like me out there checking this site out for the first time there are people out there who LOVE their Kobo. Here is what I love about it.

Small

Light

Good Screen

Simple Device that works quickly. I tried out a couple of Sony devices at Futureshop and the original Kobo at Chapters and they seemed slow to respond and turn pages.

All for a lot less money than the other e readers I saw out there. Especially for a Canadian who would have to pay import fees on a Kindle.

Is it an iPad? No. That wouldn't fit in my purse or be as good for reading. I don't care to read books on a backlit screen. I tried that and it was hard on the eyes. My wifi Kobo has a good clear screen and I can make the text bigger with one button press. Besides I could probably buy 5 Kobos for the price of an iPad.

Does it let you browse the web? Why on earth would anyone want to browse the web on a black&white e-ink screen in a device with a relatively slow processor???

I have received two firmware updates automagically from Kobo when connecting via Wifi. Neither blew up my machine or did anything other than fix bugs or add features.

So am I crazy? Am I the only person out there who is happy with their Kobo or what???
judyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:08 PM   #2
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I'm also happy In fact I upgraded from classic to WiFi and am still loving it!

I am currently trying the free trials of some of the papers, and might, just might, subscribe to one.

Sure, the device is not perfect and has some issues, but then, what device IS perfect?
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
erictoma
Banned
erictoma doesn't littererictoma doesn't litter

Device: None
Quote:
Originally Posted by judyz View Post
I am new to this site but I was surprised at how many negative comments there are from people. Some seem to have legitimate issues but there also seems to be a lot of trolling going on.

For the record for anyone else like me out there checking this site out for the first time there are people out there who LOVE their Kobo. Here is what I love about it.

Small

Light

Good Screen

Simple Device that works quickly. I tried out a couple of Sony devices at Futureshop and the original Kobo at Chapters and they seemed slow to respond and turn pages.

All for a lot less money than the other e readers I saw out there. Especially for a Canadian who would have to pay import fees on a Kindle.

Is it an iPad? No. That wouldn't fit in my purse or be as good for reading. I don't care to read books on a backlit screen. I tried that and it was hard on the eyes. My wifi Kobo has a good clear screen and I can make the text bigger with one button press. Besides I could probably buy 5 Kobos for the price of an iPad.

Does it let you browse the web? Why on earth would anyone want to browse the web on a black&white e-ink screen in a device with a relatively slow processor???

I have received two firmware updates automagically from Kobo when connecting via Wifi. Neither blew up my machine or did anything other than fix bugs or add features.

So am I crazy? Am I the only person out there who is happy with their Kobo or what???
No you are not crazy ! I don't believe some negative reviews here because they are so biased that I was thinking if those people are working on the behalf of their companies and not simple customer members here.
I have never tried Kobo but I don't think that kobo is weaker than Kindle because all those gadgets are manufactured in China according to the same quality standard.
However we must believe that most complaints against Kobo here are really genuine.
erictoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 10:50 PM   #4
viviena
Evangelist
viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.viviena ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Currently Kobo Clara HD and Aura One, iPad
People who have problems post a lot. Those who don't have problems are reading on their Kobos.
viviena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:03 PM   #5
ltr
Addict
ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.ltr writes prose that makes the Gods weep.

Device: Kindle PW-2
Quote:
Originally Posted by viviena View Post
People who have problems post a lot. Those who don't have problems are reading on their Kobos.
That's exactly the case, and is the same for most forums.

One of the problems with forums is that they generally attract only those who have trouble and are looking for answers, or want to bitch.

It's hardly a representative sample.

The thousands and thousands who are completely satisfied have little reason to join a forum, or at the least stay very long.

ltr
ltr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:07 PM   #6
EDinNB
Enthusiast
EDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litterEDinNB doesn't litter

Device: Kobo
I have zero issues with my non wifi Kobo and I liked it so well I bought a second for my wife (shhhhh Christmas present).

The wifi wasn't available when I ordered mine, but it did have v1.4 firmware, and I'm asuming it is the latest to date.

Had I wanted a do all epad/reader/browser in a small package I would have opted for the Samsung Galaxy( I think that is the name) and I'm not ruling that out for a future purchase, but for a bare bones ereader, Kobo is the perfect fit for me.

Ed
EDinNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:14 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Please don't let the grumps discourage you. Of the 50,000+ members here, the handful of rabble rousers are an insignificant percentage. They join, share their prejudices, and move on in a short while.

For the overwhelming majority of us, I imagine they would agree when I say that we support all devices and encourage each other.

Ignoring them is the best weapon.
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 11:26 PM   #8
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixieGal View Post
Ignoring them is the best weapon.
Well said. And we have the options to ignore users and/or discussions.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:41 AM   #9
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
The thousands and thousands who are completely satisfied have little reason to join a forum, or at the least stay very long.

ltr
SO why are you joining this form
Old 12-05-2010, 12:46 AM   #10
Jafo
Enthusiast
Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Jafo , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo (original)
I've never had any problems with my Kobo. I like it mostly because of the fact that it doesn't have a lot of features. I want to read a book on it. That's it. No distractions. And it's great for that. I don't even want the wifi. I actually don't see the point of that but that's just me. And the weird part? I'm a computer geek and a gadget junkie. But not when I'm reading a book :-) . I liked it so much, I got one for my wife too.
Jafo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:48 AM   #11
The Terminator
Retired
The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.The Terminator ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Optimus One (2.3), Nexus 7 (4.2)
Love mine
The Terminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 12:54 AM   #12
erictoma
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jafo View Post
I've never had any problems with my Kobo. I like it mostly because of the fact that it doesn't have a lot of features. I want to read a book on it. That's it. No distractions. And it's great for that. I don't even want the wifi. I actually don't see the point of that but that's just me. And the weird part? I'm a computer geek and a gadget junkie. But not when I'm reading a book :-) . I liked it so much, I got one for my wife too.
I am exactly like you I dont need any far fetched feature I do need only the build in dictionary.
Old 12-05-2010, 10:26 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One enormous problem with the Kobo is that, for some absolutely inexplicable reason, it is unable to follow hyperlinks in a book. That makes it pretty much unusable if you want to read a book with hyperlinked endnotes, for example.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 10:46 AM   #14
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
The only thing I have against 99% of all ereaders is price. I simply do not want to pay more than $100 for a reader. I have nothing against the Kobo, just don't want to pay that.

What feature(s) do you like most about your Kobo? My friends are constantly asking me -which reader is best for me, so I have been running about this site asking users of different readers what they like best about the one they chose and so far I have asked Kindle and Sony PRS customers and have not asked Kobo customers as yet.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 11:12 AM   #15
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcohen View Post
The only thing I have against 99% of all ereaders is price. I simply do not want to pay more than $100 for a reader. I have nothing against the Kobo, just don't want to pay that.
If you enjoy reading the classics you'll very quickly repay the price of any eBook reader with the money you'll save on books.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote