Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 03:41 PM   #16
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Thank you, Ralph Sir Edward.
I just wonder: are there any tournament or club players here?
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 03:52 PM   #17
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
I used to play for a chess cub; but play on the Internet now - mainly FICS (Free Internet Chess Server), and www.letsplaychess.com for slower games.

Incidentally, Youtube has a lot of good chess vids for all levels of player.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 04:03 PM   #18
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Capablanca supposedly never studied chess openings (the first phase of a game).When he defeated the US player Frank Marshall, Marshall went away and prepared an opening novelty which he kept secret, waiting to unleash it against Capablanca and secure his revenge.

Nine years later he finally got his chance; only to be defeated once again when Capa found his way through the complications over the board.
Marshall got his revenge, sort of. The Marshall Gambit (or Attack), is still popular and being played nearly 100 years later.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 04:18 AM   #19
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Marshall got his revenge, sort of. The Marshall Gambit (or Attack), is still popular and being played nearly 100 years later.
Marshall was a very good player, his collection of games was one of my favourite books when I was learning the game - especially his win against Levistky, when the spectators showered the board with gold coins in appreciation.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:31 PM   #20
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
Marshall was a very good player, his collection of games was one of my favourite books when I was learning the game - especially his win against Levistky, when the spectators showered the board with gold coins in appreciation.
I've heard that story, not sure I believe it. I've got a collection of Marshall's games around here somewhere, but I haven't seen it for a while. A lot of my chess books were stored away and it seems a few have gone missing over time.
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 07:53 AM   #21
jhempel24
Wizard
jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhempel24 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite, B&N Nook Colro
I used to play in tournaments, not much of a club goer. Last time I played in a tournament was the Kings Island Open in 2008. Ended up placing 6th in a field of 45 in my rating bracket...which was 1300-1600. 3-1-1 was my score of that tourney....but nothing after that.

I tried to get a Blitz Chess TV Program off the ground. Supposed to be an "in-your-face, trash talking, ain't you grandpa's chess" type of program. Had GSN ready to promote it.....and a certain organization completely tore it down. I had flyers going everywhere, and at one national tournament that the director said it was okay to put flyers up I found ALL of them ripped in half and thrown away.
It was at the time when the Poker TV show was really hot....I figured if people will watch poker, then they will watch chess if it's entertaining enough, and not a bunch of prudes just watching time fly. And it would have been educational teaching the game as well.
jhempel24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:46 PM   #22
rkomar
Wizard
rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rkomar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, PB 902, PRS-T1, PB 623, PB 840, PB 633
I'm a casual chess player, and I find chess books generally pretty hard going. However, David Spanier's book "Total Chess" was a real treat to read for me. It's not a book on how to play chess, but rather about various aspects of the culture of the game. Chapters include: Motivation, The Soviet Mind, Jews, Politics, Women, Computers, Madness, Vision, Mistakes, and Sting in the Tail. It is thought-provoking and entertaining. I don't think it's available as an ebook, and I'm not sure if it's even still in print, but if you're interested in the world of chess and see a copy of it somewhere, grab it.
rkomar is offline   Reply With Quote