Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-28-2010, 04:26 PM   #1
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: Paperwhite
Question e-Ink Power Consumption

So, I was thinking about how I think e-Ink works and went to this site to confirm it. They said that, "Electronic ink ... requires no power to maintain an image." If this is true, I was wondering if I could leave my PRS-600 on all the time. My habit it to always turn off electronics, but if I understand this technology right, powering off only removed the elements from the screen and that's it. Is it actually powering off anything else?

All in all, I am just trying to figure out if there is a good reason to shut off the reader. If not, I will probably leave it running. Any experts out there have a thought on this?

Thanks.
bakura82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 04:43 PM   #2
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
When you turn the reader off by the switch it doesn'y actually turn off; it goes into, I don't know what you would call it, like a sleep mode. A lot of people here do it that way. Or you can shut it down (actually turn it off) by holding the power switch over until you get the message,"Are you sure you want to shutdown the device?" If you hit yes wait a minute and it will completely shut off. When you turn it on it will take about minute to get to the main menu or wherever it starts up at.

I don't usually fully shut mine down, I just put it into "sleep mode." I don't really notice anything crazy with the battery, I usually charge it once every week and a half, or twice a week if I listen to a lot of music while I'm reading.

Hope this answers your question!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
bakura82
Zealot
bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.bakura82 is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Thanks. Funny thing is, from the time I posted this until just a few seconds ago, it went to sleep by itself! lol. So much for leaving it with the display on. My only wish if that I could hit a key on the face to turn it back on. My case covers the switch and I have to undo a strap every time i want it back on.
Old 02-28-2010, 06:33 PM   #4
Solitaire1
Samurai Lizard
Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solitaire1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor
From what I understand, although it takes no power to maintain an image on the screen in eInk, the ereader's processor does run and consumes power. This results in a small but steady drain on the ereader's battery even without turning the epages (it also occurs if you put the ereader to sleep). This could be a reason to power off your reader if you are not going to use it for a long time, especially if don't have a ready way to charge it.
Solitaire1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 06:36 PM   #5
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
They go into sleep after an hour of non-use. You should shut it off fullly if you aren't going to be using it for a while, because the battery will drain slowly. I've actually never shut my reader down after almost two years of owning it.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-28-2010, 06:56 PM   #6
bakura82
Zealot

Cool. Thank folks.
Old 03-01-2010, 03:14 AM   #7
Mike_73
Guru
Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.Mike_73 is no ebook tyro.

Device: PRS-505, PRS-600, iPad 16GB Wifi, Kindle Voyage, Nexus 6, Razr HD
The manual states that by default it goes into sleep mode after 1 hour unless the reader is connected to a running pc or you are listening to music. The default can be changed though. I just don't know if you can make it stay on all the time. I'm not completely shutting off either, and I have a run time of about 1 1/2 weeks like stated by others. I just wonder how much longer it would run if I turned it off completely. There would be the startup minute then though.
Mike_73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #8
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've found that the power drains even when I'm not changing pages. Not much, but still does it to a noticeable level. I have no idea why.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:52 AM   #9
jamadams
Connoisseur
jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jamadams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Kindle Keyboard, Kobo Touch, Sony PRS-505, 600 & Librié
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZoidberg View Post
I've found that the power drains even when I'm not changing pages. Not much, but still does it to a noticeable level. I have no idea why.
See the reply above. Whilst it doesn't need power to maintain the screen, the operating system is still ticking away in the background, draining power slowly.
jamadams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:44 PM   #10
warrend405
warrend405 began at the beginning.

Device: sony touch
What is the impact of a memory card. I've read there isn't much impact but the battery seems to drain faster when I have one in regardless of whether I use it.
warrend405 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #11
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
There will be a small drain to keep it powered, but I'm still wondering if there is a bug with the 600. I never saw such a drop with either the 505 or 900 using both an SD card and a MS Pro Duo.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:59 PM   #12
gchase
gchase began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
Extra storage

Hi .... I'm new to the forums. Great info here. I have a PRS-600 and I have noticed that the power usage goes up when I have an SD card plugged in. Not a lot but it is noticeable. I'm a Linux nut and got the reader on Christmas day so immediately found Calibre ... cool. I love the reader and have probably read 25 novels on it already. I also noticed that a normal USB cable is all you need to charge it on a computer so if it runs short of juice while I'm on my way to work, I just hook it up to my computer at work while I'm doing other things.
gchase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 10:19 PM   #13
bakura82
Zealot

because I still plug it in daily, I am not sure when I will actually get to test and see how long it lasts. Like you though, I have an SD card inside.

Tags
consumption, electronic, ink, power