Notices

Old 01-16-2010, 02:01 PM   #1
nitrocuadam
Enthusiast
nitrocuadam began at the beginning.

Device: none
Glare on prs 600

Hello people

I really love prs 600 and was planning to buy short time ago.But soon ago I've read a lot of reviews about it and discovered it has a very bad glare.I love this tool but I hate glare.

So is there any option to reduce the glare?

Do you think ClearTouch™ Anti-Glare - Sony PRS-600BC (http://www.boxwave.com/products/clea...600bc_3756.htm) make this reader better?

Is there anyone who used cleartouch?

Thank you very much
nitrocuadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 03:43 PM   #2
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Glare is subjective. I find the 600 screen to be perfectly readable in almost any situation.

I've used it:
- At home, under CFL bulbs.
- At home, under incandescent.
- At school, under some form of metal halide.
- At school, under high bay fluorescent.
- In natural sunlight.

In all circumstances, any amount of glare was negated by a slight angling of the screen.

As for a screen protector, check this thread for some info, particularly page 4.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-16-2010, 06:37 PM   #3
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by chainring View Post
Glare is subjective. I find the 600 screen to be perfectly readable in almost any situation.
I'm with you on the glare subject. Sure, sometime I get annoyed that I have to angle the reader a bit more. But I sure would be more annoyed if I paid for a good anti-glare film and tried to stick it on and end up with a line somewhere on the screen due to my sloppy application (I am a tad impatient).

I have read the Sony in a variety of situations (indoors, outdoors, sunshine, snow, plane, airports, trains) and have never been in a situation where I was so annoyed with the glare that I switched it off.
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:04 PM   #4
JimSmith
JimSmith began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS600
Syncing PRS600 Library

I'd be really grateful for some help with my new Sony PRS 600. I set up the ADE account as per the instructions and all seemed to go well - until I downloaded the free ebooks that came with the device. When I tried syncing them to the reader at least half wouldn't sync.

The problem is that once one freezes, the whole sync freezes, since it doesn't jump to the next in line. It's puzzling and very disappointing.

Any advice welcomed. Sorry my first post is a cry for help...
JimSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
R0B_IX
Enthusiast
R0B_IX began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-300
I've never found glare to be a problem either. Sure, I may need to tilt it slightly at times, but never that far. I actually have more of a problem with some of the physical books I own. Some of them are printed on this bright white paper that is impossible for me to read outside without sunglasses. I swear the publishers just assume that engineers & physicists never go outside. In fact, I (and everyone I've shown it to) can't help but be amazed at how easy the screen is to read in direct sunlight.

Bah, now you've got me wishing it was just a few degrees warmer so I could head over to the beach tomorrow and dive into a good book.
R0B_IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-17-2010, 02:40 AM   #6
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I really don't have too much of an issue with the PRS-600 in the regards to glare.

I don't read much outsite though either. I generally sit in a comfy chair and use a particular reading lamp I like. It seems that any type of medium used to view ebooks would show up with some type of glaring issue when used under the wrong type of light though. *shrug*
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:15 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitrocuadam View Post
Hello people

I really love prs 600 and was planning to buy short time ago.But soon ago I've read a lot of reviews about it and discovered it has a very bad glare.I love this tool but I hate glare.
I'd really suggest that you try to use one yourself, and make up your own mind. I honestly think this "problem" is exaggerated out of all proportion by many people. I don't have the slightest issue with it, personally.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #8
quillaja
Connoisseur
quillaja began at the beginning.

Device: sony reader touch (prs-600)
There is no glare problem with the 600. It's mainly a problem of people on the internet, particularly those at popular blog sites, who get some idea stuck in their head and won't let it go.
quillaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:27 AM   #9
chainring
Addict
chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chainring ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650 (black), Kindle 3G
Quote:
Originally Posted by R0B_IX View Post
...I actually have more of a problem with some of the physical books I own. Some of them are printed on this bright white paper that is impossible for me to read outside without sunglasses. I swear the publishers just assume that engineers & physicists never go outside...
Excellent point regarding printed books still having the same "glare" issue. It all depends on the paper used, and quite honestly, I've seen printed books that make me squint. Semi-gloss paper, with glossy prints...try reading that in bright light!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'd really suggest that you try to use one yourself, and make up your own mind. I honestly think this "problem" is exaggerated out of all proportion by many people. I don't have the slightest issue with it, personally.
Good advice. I went into Best Buy fully expecting to be disappointed with the 600, when compared with the 300, but I didn't see that huge of a difference. The 300 does have less glare, and has greater clarity, but it doesn't blow away the 600. Fact is, any device that's not backlit will need reflected light in order to operate/present its information to the user. With that said, even the 300 can reflect enough light to make it hard to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by quillaja View Post
There is no glare problem with the 600. It's mainly a problem of people on the internet, particularly those at popular blog sites, who get some idea stuck in their head and won't let it go.
Agreed. It's been blown out of proportion. We've gone from sensationalist new reporting to sensationalist gadget blogs.

There's always going to be a tradeoff. For me, the 600 has the features I want, and only gives up a tiny bit of screen clarity. Plus, for me, it's the perfect size. Hold one and you'll be hooked.

Last edited by chainring; 01-17-2010 at 11:29 AM.
chainring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 03:01 PM   #10
jayne80
Connoisseur
jayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toysjayne80 shares his or her toys

Device: iphone 4s, ipad 3, kindle touch,kindle PW, kobo mini, kobo aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I agree with Harry, go use one yourself, it is a matter of your own opinion. I only notice the glare in low light, in normal light I don't find it a problem.
jayne80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 10:12 PM   #11
emonti8384
browneyedgurl
emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.emonti8384 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505/950x2, PRS-600 silver, Galaxy III purple, T2 black
I see what everyone is talking about, with the whole glare issue, but to be honest I really didn't think it was that bad untiil I started reading everyone else's complaints. After seeing everyone else's opinion I found that it really doesn't bother me that much. I have a screen protector on mine but that's not to reduce the glare, that's for keeping it from getting scratched up with the touchscreen.

I say get it. Worse comes to worse you'll return it if you're not happy. I'd buy it from Best Buy tho, they have a 30 day return policy. Borders is a week I think to return, 30 days to exchange (for the same model and color).

Just in case. Good luck!
emonti8384 is offline   Reply With Quote