Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-01-2013, 11:18 AM   #76
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuantumIguana View Post
I'd like to see the first of the Horatio Hornblower books available in e-book format. Some of the books are available, but not the first book in the series.
They are in the UK. You could take a virtual trip here to buy them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:44 PM   #77
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Which paper books would you like to have as ebooks.

Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. There's an audiobook version but I can't find it as an ebook.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 12:48 PM   #78
alanHd
Addict
alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alanHd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch, Ipod Touch, Ipad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
Moon Over Manifest by Clare Vanderpool. There's an audiobook version but I can't find it as an ebook.
That book is available on amazon uk.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+over+manifest
alanHd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #79
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazella View Post
http://www.amazon.com/Moon-Over-Mani...mm_kin_title_0
http://www.booksonboard.com/index.ph...45649&v=widget
http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Moon-...9gg/page1.html
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #80
Gazella
Wizard
Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gazella ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanHd View Post
That book is available on amazon uk.
http://www.amazon.co.uk/s/ref=nb_sb_...+over+manifest
Oh thank you so much to both! I don't know why when I "googled" the book I kept getting it either in paperback or audiobook.
Gazella is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-01-2013, 01:24 PM   #81
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Ursula K. Le Guin's Hainish Cycle books.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 08:09 PM   #82
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleStar View Post
I don't think paper books should be phased out at all. A lot of people can't afford fancy e-readers or have credit cards to buy the e-books, or even money to buy the e-books. What would happen to public libraries then, if paper books were gone?
I think that inability to afford an ereader would be a legitimate concern in 2005, when these things easily cost €450 or so, but now you can have an ereader for the price of about 10 paperbacks. (In the Netherlands, that is, where an English paperback will cost you around €9.95.) Buying the ereader costs you 10 paperbacks, but gains you the ability to quite easily read hundreds and hundreds of books for free; quite literally. Books for which you would have needed to pay money (at least, to loan them) to be able to read them.

Even iff I'd *only* read classics on my ereader and nothing else, I will have saved huge amounts of money. I save even more by buying books from BooksOnBoard and other non-Dutch sites; there, I can get some books for under €4, while the ebook or paper version would cost me €9-12 in the Netherlands.

In the end, the only thing I worry about is future readability or usability, but this is the problem with almost all digital formats. IMHO, un-DRM-ed EPUB is the safest format to have your books in, at this point in time, as it is just plain HTML/CSS with some small additions, so it can be relatively easily converted.

In the end, I'd like to have all my paper books as ebooks, and apart from some (very) obscure ones, such as Dutch versions of English and German works of which I don't know the original title (as it's not in the book), I'm quite a ways along to making this happen

Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
I hope paper books will be around forever. I love them, and they look nice on sheves and in libraries, I just can't be bothered to read them if I can find the ebook instead.
There a some ebooks I read this year that I loved so much that I thought I should get the hard cover versions - only, I realized I would get them for the sake of getting them, as I would never read them.
It's the same with me. I'm about to finish "IT" in ebook format. I already own the hardcover version in English. It's more than twice the size of a paperback (I can put two mass market paperbacks on top of it, and "IT" is still bigger), and it's 1250 pages thick. That book is one HUGE ***. I've tried to read part of the story in it, but after half an hour I have to put this book down because it's so *** large and heavy. I can read hours at a time when using my Kindle.

Still, I'm thinking of creating some sort of "über-collection", just because I like paper books: getting hardcover versions of books I REALLY like, just to have a book case. I did the same with DVD's: I've started to split up my DVD's into Oscar-winning stuff and getting special editions of that, where possible, and DVD's I just liked well enough; and the stuff I don't like (anymore) is being sold. For books, it would be hardcover versions of the stuff I really like, ebooks for the rest that is OK to good, and I'd sell of the rest of the paperbacks I don't like (anymore).

Ebooks quite saved me from crashing my second floor down to the first at some point in time...

To be honest, I'm still a bit torn between books and ebooks. I love paper books (even the heavy ones), but when an ebook is made up well, the custom fonts and fontsizes, ereader frontlight, lesser weight, smaller size, savings on free books in the PD, in short... the convenience, is what makes me to finally choose the ereader for day to day reading.

Last edited by Katsunami; 04-02-2013 at 08:29 PM.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #83
MickiTee
Guru
MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickiTee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Pocketbook TL3, TL4, TL5
Jane Dentinger's Jocelyn O'Roarke novels would be at the top of my list.
MickiTee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 10:06 AM   #84
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
OK, of the physical books that I own:

Graham Greene - Power and the Glory and others
Harper Lee - To Kill a Mockingbird
Ursula Le Guin - Left Hand of Darkness
Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana
William Horwood - Skallagrigg and Callanish
John Knowles - A Separate Peace
Alan Garner - Weirdstone of Brisingamen, The Moon of Gomrath & Boneland
Meredith Ann Pierce - The Darkangel & A Gathering of Gargoyles.

The situation is so much better than when last I checked, but there's still some key books that I'm looking for.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 11:58 AM   #85
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
OK, of the physical books that I own:

Graham Greene - Power and the Glory and others
Ursula Le Guin - Left Hand of Darkness
Guy Gavriel Kay - Tigana
Alan Garner - Weirdstone of Brisingamen, The Moon of Gomrath & Boneland
Meredith Ann Pierce - The Darkangel & A Gathering of Gargoyles.

The situation is so much better than when last I checked, but there's still some key books that I'm looking for.
I haven't checked the other books on your list, but "Tigana" is certainly available as an ebook.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:01 PM   #86
John Carroll
kookoo
John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John Carroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook, LG4
The Harper Hall Trilogy by Anne McCaffrey. I went to buy them in January only to discover that they're not in ebook yet.
John Carroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 12:02 PM   #87
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Carroll View Post
The Harper Hall Trilogy by Anne McCaffrey. I went to buy them in January only to discover that they're not in ebook yet.
Oh yes they are. Check again.
Old 04-09-2013, 01:05 PM   #88
JeremyZ
Addict
JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JeremyZ ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST, Kindle 2, Samsung Galaxy Stellar phone
To me, it is the other way around

I normally don't re-read, especially fiction. But the ones that are really, really good, I would like to have as hardcover paper books. So far, the likes of:
  • Alan Lee-illustrated Lord of the Rings
  • Alan Lee-illustrated Hobbit
  • Complete Sherlock Holmes
  • Chronicles of Narnia (only have a big paperback now...)

I think I will buy The Three Musketeers and The Count of Monte Cristo and A Tale of Two Cities in hardcover one day.

I find that while I like reading new fiction, it doesn't leave me awestruck like the classics do.
JeremyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 05:38 PM   #89
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
After thinking about this some more, I think I'd rather reverse the question.

Probably, I'll end up reading all the "regular" stuff (like fantasy series and such) as ebooks, mainly to save some money, and a huge amount of space, while I'll try to get the truly epic stuff as hardcover books.

I've been thinking to split my DVD collection, into "Oscar winners" and "Stuff I like", and sell off the rest, which is mostly mediocre material. Then I'll only buy Oscar material and movies I really like (independent of Oscars), and watch the rest on TV or cheap rentals.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 06:58 PM   #90
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I haven't checked the other books on your list, but "Tigana" is certainly available as an ebook.
Ah - you're correct. I was only looking in my U.S. address sites. I've now managed to find:

Tigana, The Left Hand of Darkness, all of Graham Greene's novels and Boneland by Alan Garner (but not the other two unfortunately).

I'm so conditioned into thinking Australia will get everything last that I rarely bother checking there for ebooks I'm not finding in the US.

So that leaves only the following:

Alan Garner - Weirdstone of Brisingamen, The Moon of Gomrath
Meredith Ann Pierce - The Darkangel & A Gathering of Gargoyles
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote