Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 12-09-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Device: Kobo Vox
Drained battery once... then problems begin

For the Kobo team

Interesting observation which might have the answer to why our experiences vary so much.
I did not turn on my unit when I first got it home until it had charged over night. Since then it had none of the sleep/wake or connectivity or freeze issues that others had UNTIL I tested to see how long it would go in sleep mode.
It went the first 12 hours with small battery change then somewhere in the next 10 hours it died in sleep mode.
Since then I have experienced all the problems mentioned above. Freezings seem to be due to not realizing it had no wifi and trying to launch the browser.

It would seem that when restarting from a dead sleep mode there is file corruption from an ungraceful restart.
Is it possible that Android does not have a self check sequence for this condition???
GJSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 03:53 PM   #2
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
YES! I was waiting for someone to confirm suspicions I have about funny things happening after a battery drain. Except, when my battery drained overnight, I was SURE that I had TURNED IT OFF (but it acted as though I stuck it in sleep mode overnight with WiFi on).

After the battery drain, I had soooo many problems (not just sleep of death - my Kobo status bar wouldn't load - and then the 5 book widget - and then the Kobo library) that I had to do a factory reset. This was after 3 weeks of near-perfect operation (even with fairly heavy use and testing).

After the reset, I didn't get sleep of death much - until the firmware upgrade. Now it happens almost every time it sleeps...
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 08:44 PM   #3
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
I'm not sure about this... my battery completely drained twice at the beginning (at least 3 weeks ago) but I have not since had the problems nor any escalation of issues many other persons have reported. What I have been doing ever since my second power drain (after doing a factory reset) is putting my Vox into airplane mode and power off when shutting down for extended periods such as overnight or when I'm leaving it at home for the day while I'm at work. Guess I'm just lucky!
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
Jesslynne
Zealot
Jesslynne doesn't litterJesslynne doesn't litter

Device: Kobo Vox, Kobo Mini
Strange that you, and mention this. Now that I think back on it, all my problems hadn't started until my battery drained during one of its freezes in my work locker.
Jesslynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 09:17 PM   #5
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
My Vox has drained over and over again. So far no sleep of death etc. problems.

I honestly believe that there is a randomness to the known issues we are seeing, and that whilst occasionally people might find a fix that works for them, none of it will be generalizable. If this were easy, the developers would have given us the solution in the form of an update already.

Last edited by taming; 12-12-2011 at 09:21 PM. Reason: grammar
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 PM   #6
pokee
Fanatic
pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.pokee has too *@%# much karma.

Device: Kobo WiFi, Kobo Glo, Kobo Vox, Samsung Galaxy S4, Samsung Tab2
Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
My Vox has drained over and over again. So far no sleep of death etc. problems.

I honestly believe that there is a randomness to the known issues we are seeing, and that whilst occasionally people might find a fix that works for them, none of it will be generalizable. If this were easy, the developers would have given us the solution in the form of an update already.
True...but as users, identifying consistencies in what leads up to certain issues could provide developers with clues to assist with resolutions. I think it's important to keep reporting such things. It provides potential help to the developers, other users and gives us some piece of mind to know we are not alone in our struggles!
pokee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2011, 08:36 AM   #7
GJSmith
Connoisseur
GJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it isGJSmith knows what time it is

Cdesja5 I agree that not using sleep avoids the problem such as turning it right off if not using it for long periods.
I have not tried airplane mode at all so not sure if that would help coming out of a short sleep for me but it makes sense.
I had never noticed before my first drain how quickly wifi connected but now I have noticed that what does cause a wake then freeze was my activating an app that required wifi before noticing wifi was not on.
So it would seem that the auto reconnect for wifi is corrupt. After a short..... less then 3 min sleep I have to go into settings turn on wifi and then connect to my network.
Yes taming it seems you are correct in that which files get corrupted is not the same for everyone.
I wonder if using a slow speed... ie 4 SD card as the main drive could be the issue hmmm
Old 12-13-2011, 10:10 PM   #8
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Quote:
Originally Posted by GJSmith View Post
I wonder if using a slow speed... ie 4 SD card as the main drive could be the issue hmmm
My external SD card is a class 8, 16 gb, but has almost nothing on it. It definitely would be great if that was the internal sd!
I moved most of my apps to my SD card and everything works great (instead of Kobo Reader) but I'd really like to move Rdio (if I can't remove it) as it takes up around 1.2 gb and I don' t use it...and never will. I'm hoping one of the fixes will allow the removal of unwanted apps.

Last edited by Cdesja5; 12-13-2011 at 10:30 PM.
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
GJSmith
Connoisseur

I removed it using Jeff's instructions in the Stickies. It really was simple.
Old 12-16-2011, 01:34 PM   #10
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Airplane mode does avoid the battery drain for me; when I forget, the battery is under 10% by morning.

Of course, turning it completely off also preserves the battery.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote