Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 12-15-2009, 03:02 PM   #1
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle 4NTB x 4
Smart Q v7, JE 100, A81

I am looking for an ereader. I do my reading indoors, mainly in bed at night. I am really thinking a backlit lcd is the way to go, so I don't have to do one of those annoying clip on lights.
Here's my dilemma. I don't know which one to get! The JE100 looks awesome, but the limited SD card and the low battery time worries me. I really need something that will last me 8 hours between charges. (I read for hours, fall asleep with the book, then wake up later and read for many more hours , darn insomnia!) Is the battery on the Smart Q v7 any better(I like the buttons to turn pages)? Or the A81? Can you use these while they are plugged into the wall, like the old Dell Axim 51s? Anything else out there I'm missing at about this same price point?
And, where is the best place to buy one of these? I'm in the USA.
Thanks for all your advice. You guys one this forum are amazing, so full of information!
S
silverraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2009, 03:25 PM   #2
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I am looking for an ereader. I do my reading indoors, mainly in bed at night. I am really thinking a backlit lcd is the way to go, so I don't have to do one of those annoying clip on lights.
Here's my dilemma. I don't know which one to get! The JE100 looks awesome, but the limited SD card and the low battery time worries me. I really need something that will last me 8 hours between charges. (I read for hours, fall asleep with the book, then wake up later and read for many more hours , darn insomnia!) Is the battery on the Smart Q v7 any better(I like the buttons to turn pages)? Or the A81? Can you use these while they are plugged into the wall, like the old Dell Axim 51s? Anything else out there I'm missing at about this same price point?
And, where is the best place to buy one of these? I'm in the USA.
Thanks for all your advice. You guys one this forum are amazing, so full of information!
S
What do you mean with limited SD card? I have a 2Gb in it, and it's not even close to getting full... The battery is about 4-5 hours, depending on how high you have the backlight on (mine is generally turned down all the way, I'm also a "bed reader" ) You can read with the device plugged in.

I don't think you'll really find a backlit LCD screened device with a battery of over 8 hours, though maybe there are a few netbooks with that claim. But I wouldn't want to read a netbook in bed...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2009, 03:39 PM   #3
silverraven
Guru
silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silverraven ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
But I wouldn't want to read a netbook in bed...
I agree, just seems too cumbersome to me.
If I can read with it plugged in that takes away any battery issues. Cool! How long is the cord for the charger?
I was just thinking of being able to use a bigger SD card would be nice to have other programs on there.(Bejeweled maybe?) Doesn't it have very limited internal storage? Is the type of SD card something that can be changed with a firmware update?
The screen is beautiful in pictures on here. Is it as pretty in person? And I am right in that it has the best screen for reading out of the three, right?
S
Old 12-16-2009, 02:28 AM   #4
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverraven View Post
I agree, just seems too cumbersome to me.
If I can read with it plugged in that takes away any battery issues. Cool! How long is the cord for the charger?
I was just thinking of being able to use a bigger SD card would be nice to have other programs on there.(Bejeweled maybe?) Doesn't it have very limited internal storage? Is the type of SD card something that can be changed with a firmware update?
The screen is beautiful in pictures on here. Is it as pretty in person? And I am right in that it has the best screen for reading out of the three, right?
S
I find the cord more than long enough...

It takes micro SD, but I'm not sure about the max size. But even 4Gb is more than enough, I'd say... I have installed several applications in memory, but I don't use it for much more than ereading. (but I did install Paint on it!)

I can't compare the various sreens, as I only have the JE100.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:57 PM   #5
silverraven
Guru

Sweetpea- Thank you for the info about the cord length!

Does anyone know if any of these three devices will have user replaceable batteries?
S
Advert
Old 12-16-2009, 07:12 PM   #6
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Sony Xperia Tablet Z, Kindle Paperwhite 2, Lenovo Yoga 8, IPad 3
Actually, the W1060 and the JE-100 both have removable batteries. As strictly an ebook reader, I would choose the JE-100.

Last edited by ColdSun; 12-17-2009 at 06:39 PM.
ColdSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2009, 08:05 PM   #7
silverraven
Guru

Ah, bummer! Any idea as to the life expectancy of this type battery? Assuming reading 4 hours a day, every day. And if I keep it plugged in, does it use the battery, or just electric?
Thanks for the answers!
S
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM   #8
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews
ColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueColdSun can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

I'm guessing it should last around 1.5 to 2 years. By then, you should be ready to upgrade to the next best thing. Don't hold me to that though, as device and battery quality varies, but as long as you take good care of the device it should last that long.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:10 PM   #9
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdSun View Post
None of them have batteries you can replace without taking them apart.
Excuse me? My JE100 most certainly has a user replacable battery! I even had to put it in myself when I got the device... (was a bit tricky, considering I was on my way home [in the passenger seat!])
Old 12-17-2009, 04:15 PM   #10
silverraven
Guru

Now the JE 100 is looking even more attractive! Thank you Sweetpea!
The ONLY reason I was leaning toward the A81 (if it had a user replaceable battery) is if I absolutely hate reading on this type screen for long periods of time I could give it to my son as a cool toy. If the JE 100 could take a bigger card I'd buy it today.
Decisions, decisions.......
S
Old 12-17-2009, 05:13 PM   #11
silverraven
Guru

By the way Sweetpea, where did you buy your je 100?
S
Old 12-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #12
ColdSun
Developer/Device Reviews

Actually, I can't believe I said that. The W1060 also has a removable battery. So JE-100 and the W1060 do, and the SmartQ7 is sealed shut. So there you go.