Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-24-2013, 08:31 AM   #16
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Thanks treadlightly! Sounds like perfect service! I'm hoping they do that in the Netherlands as well!
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:06 PM   #17
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
Could we design a standard objective test for battery life?

Choose a standard reference text (War and Peace perhaps :-)
Select standard font, margin, linespacing, settings.
Charge battery to 100%
Page through the reference book from start to finish.
Report battery level.
This sounds like an excellent idea. Without standardising the testing there are too many variables involved that can skew the results.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 04:47 PM   #18
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Could we design a standard objective test for battery life?

Choose a standard reference text (War and Peace perhaps :-)
Select standard font, margin, linespacing, settings.
Charge battery to 100%
Page through the reference book from start to finish.
Report battery level.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
This sounds like an excellent idea. Without standardising the testing there are too many variables involved that can skew the results.
Okay.

- Epub of this book: http://www.feedbooks.com/book/83/war-and-peace
- Font: Georgia
- Font advanced: Weight: in the middle; Sharpness: in the middle
- Size: 8 steps from 0
- Line spacing: 0
- Marings: 1 step from 0
- Justification: yes (most right hand side)
- Light: on, minimum setting
- Refresh screen every 6 pages
- Automatically sleep/wake with sleepcover: off
- Wifi: off
- µSD: empty

- Navigate to page 1 (the cover)
- Charge to 100%
- Unplug charger
- Page to the end
- Report battery charge in %.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-25-2013 at 03:17 PM. Reason: Added no SD. Thank Geoff.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:09 PM   #19
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
- Report battery charge in %.
Okay, took me about 35-40 mins. Battery is now at 91% Firmware 2.3.2.

I'm doubting how well this will actually work though, as battery seems to differ in drainage speed depending on how much charge it has left. But still curious to know other people's % drop after turning 1750 pages

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-25-2013 at 03:16 PM. Reason: GeoffR reminded me of firmware relevance.
Old 01-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #20
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Here are my results, I checked the battery every 250 pages (the book has 1750 pages). About an hour after the first test (T1) I did it again but without charging the battery. (T2)

Code:
Page  T1   T2
---- ---- ----
   1 100%  69%
 250  89%  67%
 500  87%  67%
 750  87%  65%
1000  83%  65%
1250  80%  65%
1500  77%  63%
1750  72%  61%
We might need to rethink the test a bit, it doesn't look like there is much point trying to gauge the battery life based on how long it takes to drop from 100% to 90%.

Last edited by GeoffR; 01-25-2013 at 03:11 PM. Reason: This if for Kobo Glo, firmware 2.3.2, empty SD slot.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:13 PM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Okay, took me about 35-40 mins. Battery is now at 91%
Wow, that is a very different result from mine.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2013, 03:14 PM   #22
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Here are my results, I checked the battery every 250 pages (the book has 1750 pages). About an hour after the first test (T1) I did it again but without charging the battery. (T2)

Code:
Page  T1   T2
---- ---- ----
   1 100%  69%
 250  89%  67%
 500  87%  67%
 750  87%  65%
1000  83%  65%
1250  80%  65%
1500  77%  63%
1750  72%  61%
We might need to rethink the test a bit, it doesn't look like there is much point trying to gauge the battery life based on how long it takes to drop from 100% to 90%.
Hey we did the test at the same time how fun You have a much better result format than I do! didn't think to check in between. Just tapped my thumb for 40 mins while doing other things. Still, my results (9% drop) seem to coincide with your second test... but compared to your first test of 28% drop: big difference! Also confirms my suspicion that it's not very relevant for complete battery state :S
Old 01-26-2013, 09:56 AM   #23
VelvetElvis
Addict
VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.VelvetElvis can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Fire HD8, Asus, Sony (T1, PRS-300), Kobo (Glo, Touch, Wireless)
Quote:
Thanks for sharing VelvetElvis! I'm happy for you you got a new Glo. I hope I get a new one as well! What country are you in? I'm not sure whether Kobo's beautiful exchange mechanism is in place in the Netherlands :S I'm hoping it is!

I contacted the place where I got it from first, just because they also give a year's warranty. But their policy is: pick up the defective devices, spend 3 weeks seeing if they can fix it and then either send it back or send a new one. I don't want to live without my Glo for at least 3 weeks! And I also don't want to wait 3 weeks just to get my own Glo back full of dirty finger marks and scratches from opening it up (I ALWAYS have clean hands.) So I sent Kobo an email instead.

Thanks Samhy!! Fingers crossed indeed!
I'm in Canada, and the Kobo was only shipped about 200km. I wonder if Kobo has a depot or office in Europe?
VelvetElvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #24
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by VelvetElvis View Post
I'm in Canada, and the Kobo was only shipped about 200km. I wonder if Kobo has a depot or office in Europe?
Thanks for letting me know. I just heard back from Kobo for the second time. This time they said my device will have to be replaced or repaired and if I could provide them with all the details listed below. So I did (although all those details were in my original mail, but oh well). Next step will be to find out if indeed they have a Europe depot. I vaguely remember someone in Europe needing to send their Kobo to the Netherlands for repair so I'm hoping my memory is correct and that the service you got is available to me too

EDIT: I'm getting a replacement But, I will have to miss my Glo for a while I have to send mine first, insured and pay for postage, but only within NL so that is ok. They'll send me a replacement upon receipt and inspection of my current Glo. I do hope I get a nice pretty new one of the same colour with no fingerprints or cuts & scraps & scratches.

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 01-27-2013 at 03:37 PM.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:34 PM   #25
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Hey we did the test at the same time how fun You have a much better result format than I do! didn't think to check in between. Just tapped my thumb for 40 mins while doing other things. Still, my results (9% drop) seem to coincide with your second test... but compared to your first test of 28% drop: big difference! Also confirms my suspicion that it's not very relevant for complete battery state :S
I don't think the battery meter is a good thing to base the test on at all. They really aren't very accurate nor linear, are seem to be different from device to device. Unfortunately, the only fair comparison is probably time until the device shuts down when the battery is too low.
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:37 AM   #26
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
I don't think the battery meter is a good thing to base the test on at all. They really aren't very accurate nor linear, are seem to be different from device to device. Unfortunately, the only fair comparison is probably time until the device shuts down when the battery is too low.
I agree. And I don't really feel like sitting around tapping the screen so fast I can't read until the battery dies...