Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-18-2010, 03:45 PM   #1
Ink Jockey
Ink Jockey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
So many books, so little time...

When I first unboxed my Kindle last year, I immediately began buying books from many of the same authors that I had been buying from the book stores. I particularly enjoy Raymond Feist, Robert Jordan, Larry Niven, and Terry Brooks, among numerous others. However, earlier this year I realized that there are a vast number of books by authors that are mostly unknown and were never on the bookshelves to be found before. Some should rightly stay there, but there are many others that are quite interesting. For instance, I just finished reading a rather long first novel by Ronald Williams titled “Some Days the Dragon Wins” and I found it quite enjoyable. I wouldn’t rank it up there with Feist and Jordan on the five-star list, but for me; I’d give it a solid four-star rating.

>DTW
Ink Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #2
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
What is the book about?

This forum is a great place to learn about great but not famous books, don't hesitate to come and share future recommandations!
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2010, 05:21 AM   #3
Orochi
Connoisseur
Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!Orochi , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: Kobo, Ipod Touch
I would also like to know what the book is about and where it can be found! I did a google search, but wasn't very successful.
Orochi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:05 PM   #4
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Some Days the Dragon Wins” by Ronald Williams

Sold on Amazon
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 06:13 PM   #5
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

In a search for cheep books I've come to the realization that there a many promising writers out there with good books.

Don't forget that ALL of the great writers started somewhere. Usually with a reject slip.
Advert
Old 05-23-2010, 04:21 AM   #6
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, InkJockey. There have been cases recently when pre-hype by big-budget publishers have made an author famous before anyone in the general public has read a word. On the whole, though, all authors were 'unknown' once.

Some, as you say, merit great and lasting obscurity: Others, though, are golden needles in the self-publishing haystack or are discovered by small independent presses that don't have the financial clout to promote as well as they would like and as the author deserves. You're right to give the 'unknowns' a fair crack of the whip.

Choose wisely and you might be pleasantly surprised by what you discover.

Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 03:16 PM   #7
Ink Jockey
Ink Jockey began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
I suppose I should have posted the link to the book in my initial post, but the post wasn't so much about that 'specific' book, (it just happened to be the one I had just finished reading...). It also falls into the SciFi/Fantasy genre which everybody is not necessarily interested in reading.

What I find interesting is that I can find a book like that one only from a virtually unknown author, and only on the Kindle list - and get really wrapped up in the story because it just seems to fit what I wanted to read, and at the same time I've shelled out $8-$10 at Barnes And Noble for books that were utter crap. Some of those I'm sure that the author must have been the son/daughter of somebody in the publishing house.

>DTW
Ink Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2010, 06:50 PM   #8
SameOldStory
My True Self

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ink Jockey View Post
I suppose I should have posted the link to the book in my initial post, but the post wasn't so much about that 'specific' book, (it just happened to be the one I had just finished reading...). It also falls into the SciFi/Fantasy genre which everybody is not necessarily interested in reading.

It never hurts to post the link. If they aren’t interested they'll ignore it. But not everyone will post the link so you can do as you like. I prefer to post it as I'll already know where to find the info. The same goes for posting about a "'specific' book" that you are reading or finished. In a general posting the genre isn't important. Of course if you're posting in a thread about harlequin romance then leave out the SciFi / Horror book references. But I think that a lot of us will switch to different genre if the book sounds interesting enough.

What I find interesting is that I can find a book like that one only from a virtually unknown author, and only on the Kindle list - and get really wrapped up in the story because it just seems to fit what I wanted to read, and at the same time I've shelled out $8-$10 at Barnes And Noble for books that were utter crap. Some of those I'm sure that the author must have been the son/daughter of somebody in the publishing house.

>DTW
New authors can be a great discovery. And yes, you will sometimes get stuck with junk. But that is where the next part may help you.

Next Part

"What I find interesting is that I can find a book like that one only from a virtually unknown author,[/U] and only on the Kindle list"

As you know by now the "Kindle list" is not your only source. Smashwords and others can also provide new and great writers. Here on Mobileread are some writers so good that I feel bad about only paying a few dollars. If that. Many are free. And VERY GOOD too.

Another point is that on Smashwords and many of the other sites you can read a few pages or chapters to see if you will like the book before you buy it.

So you find an epub book that looks good. But you have a Kindle. No problem. There's a free program (donations optional) called Calibre to convert it to the Kindle format. EASY

Welcome InkJockey, there's a lot here for you.
Old 09-17-2010, 04:07 PM   #9
RonWilliams
RonWilliams began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
I realize that this thread is rather old, but a friend of mine suggested I should read it. I’m glad he did because it just so happens that I am the author of “Some Days the Dragon Wins”. InkJockey, I am happy that you found the book enjoyable. I’ve heard good things from a number of people but as an aspiring author you can never hear enough good things about your work.

I tried to shop the book to some agents and publishing houses and received the customary rejection letters. I finally made contact with a freelance editor who finally illuminated my situation in a way that made sense. He told me that the manuscript was probably good enough, but there isn’t a publisher on the planet who would take a chance on an unknown author with a first novel as large as this one. He said that if I could cut into two or three separate books, he could probably get it in front of the people that matter. So I struggled for several months, trying to find a way to do that but unable to produce any semblance of an “intermediate” resolution that would allow for the “shortened” books to be satisfying at the break point. Then I bought my Kindle and discovered that I could self-publish ‘Some Days…’ there. I decided that it would be better for me to do that, and perhaps write something else that is smaller at a later date. If I can get the new book published, then maybe the same publisher will pick up ‘Some Days…’, as well. However, I first have to find the time to develop one of my various ideas into that new book.

Thanks for reading my book.
I hope to write more. (I have an outline for a sequel already completed…)

Ron Williams
RonWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
jamesread
Banned
jamesread began at the beginning.

Device: none
So very true.
jamesread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 02:21 AM   #11
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
Lately, I have been almost exclusively reading indie titles. I have found some wonderful reads, and some hilarious (and not in a good way!) reads as well. Receiving my sony ereader really opened up my eyes to books and authors I never might have found otherwise.
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote