Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-01-2010, 12:22 PM   #1
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: PRS-600 EB-1150
Corollary to "Sorry ladies..."

Any recomendations on a program/software etc. to search for books "MINUS" those things we don't want?

If there is a online bookstore where in can actively select to NOT get certain listing I would be a lot happier.

I could easily live without teenage vampire love stories in the horror sections.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-01-2010 at 12:26 PM.
HorridRedDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 12:45 PM   #2
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Occasionally, search boxes will allow the Google trick of "-searchterm", but that's about the best I've seen. REAL search engines, like SQL, do allow constraints with NOT or !, but the cheesy search tools you encounter on the Web don't seem to. Alta Vista used to, but it allowed SQL searches.

If you find one, write.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 05:23 PM   #3
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
And I could live without having to search all the categories looking for romance or UF I'm afraid no program can correct wrong data (as I know because of my work).
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2010, 07:08 PM   #4
HorridRedDog
Addict
HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.HorridRedDog once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

In general, some websites let you use the minus sign as a prefix to filter out words.

As in dragons -fantasy -Drexel.

But most of the time not.

A simple check box for categories would be an improvement.

One of the things that I like about bookstores is that a book cover may catch your eye leading you into a new story set or new authors.

If any website can help me filter out the stuff that I truly don't like and help me find what I do like they will get most of my money.

On the gripping hand, I wish that bookstores would separate the fantasy from the SciFi. The only fantasy author whom I've read all of her books is Elizabeth Moon.

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-01-2010 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:22 PM   #5
Jack Tingle
Punctuation Fetishist
Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jack Tingle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Nexus 7 (2013), Galaxy S5 phone, Galaxy Tab 4 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
If any website can help me filter out the stuff that I truly don't like and help me find what I do like they will get most of my money.

On the gripping hand, I wish that bookstores would separate the fantasy from the SciFi. The only fantasy author whom I've read all of her books is Elizabeth Moon.
Amazon does allow the minus trick, although there has to be something preceding it. It also does try to separate the various subgenres of sf.

Interesting, since Moon is generally more famous for her skiffy. I've only read her omnibus Paks book in fantasy.

Regards,
Jack Tingle
Jack Tingle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-01-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
HorridRedDog
Addict

Yes, its been over 20 years that I read The Deeds of Paksenarrion.

In fact I just downloaded it to read again. Give it a try, it's free and it's great.

(and NO to the "Powers That Be" this is NOT a website filled with "illegal material")

WEBSCRIPTIONS WEBSITE - http://www.webscription.net/p-587-sh...-daughter.aspx

Last edited by HorridRedDog; 01-01-2010 at 10:45 PM.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:39 AM   #7
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by HorridRedDog View Post
Yes, its been over 20 years that I read The Deeds of Paksenarrion.
The ombibus prequel, The Legacy of Gird has just become available at webscription.net -- $6.

I won't be buying until at least May, of course....
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote