Old 07-22-2009, 08:57 AM   #1
ccpraveen
Site: tinyurl.com/bukworm
ccpraveen has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle, Bluefire Reader
Hello from a new user

Hi all..

Greetings to all.

I am a new user of this forum, and a old time reader :-). I was looking to buy an ereader, shortly. Never thought I wud progress from my Pocket pc, but all this eInk etc is driving me to make the plunge.

Got a small doubt, may I. Is it possible to read the prc or pdb files (that I usually read using mobipocker reader) using Sony PRS 505? Or is there a program that converts it? I have some valuable PDB files with me, and it would be cool to read them in Sony 505.

Also, I have some PDF files which a friend gave me, which are mainly the DUMMIES section. For example, like the Buying a Computer for Dummies etc. Will it be possible for me to read those pdf files comfortably in the Sony 505?? I am kinda bored trying that with my pocket pc small screen, even with reflowing, as it loses tabular format and structure.

Have a great day, all.

Dave
ccpraveen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 09:49 AM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Hello and welcome to the forums
pdb and prc books can be converted to lrf or epub with calibre

The pdfs will probably look ugly if they have lots of images.
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #3
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Hi Dave, welcome to MR!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:44 AM   #4
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Dave, and Click image for larger version

Name:	welcome-13.gif
Views:	211
Size:	53.5 KB
ID:	32788 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:11 AM   #5
ccpraveen

Thanks catire, parker and ladyblue for the warm welcome.

@parker, that book u r reading is one of the most hilarious books I have ever read. Can u suggest similar titles please? Or should I have asked this in a PM?
Advert
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 AM   #6
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
hi dave, i'll add my welcome to everyone else's.

i notice you mention Three Men in a Boat, i love that book too ! i thought i'd let you know (in case you missed it) that the MobileRead book club is discussing that book this month. feel free to join in the discussion !

i'll be interested to hear rlparker's suggestions for similar books too, and i'll just mention that Jerome wrote a few other books too : Idle thoughts of an idle fellow, Diary of a Pilgrimage, and Three Men on the Brummel for instance. if you are getting a sony reader they are all three available here in our free ebooks section in sony lrf format, just do a search for "jerome". they are also available from feedbooks in every format you could want, and a couple of other titles besides. happy reading !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 12:37 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Dave and welcome to MobileRead. I used to read on an iPaq and have converted several of the books from that to .lrf so I can read (and reread) them on my Sony. BTW, if you get a Sony, you will never look at your PocketPC again!
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 11:17 PM   #8
Verencat
Wizard
Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.Verencat read the news today, oh boy.

Device: xxx
Hi Dave and welcome!
Your avatar is simply lovely!
Verencat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 12:05 AM   #9
ccpraveen

Thanks Zelda, Cassidy and Verencat for welcoming me warmly.. ( and a special thanks for Verencat for appreciating my avatar:-D )

@Zelda, I did find the book club thread. But do they actively discuss a book after they read it? All I could find were threads suggesting what to read and what one is reading now. And btw, thanks for suggesting JKJ's other books to me. Shall find them and read them ASAP:-)

@Cassidy, Yeah I can understand the ipaq. I was reading mine in an old Imate pocketpc. Hopefully I can jump soon into the sony bandwagon and E ink madness:-)

Regards all..

Old 07-23-2009, 03:22 AM   #10
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Three Men is a Boat is the July book. I don't think the discussion thread has started yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpraveen View Post
I did find the book club thread. But do they actively discuss a book after they read it? All I could find were threads suggesting what to read and what one is reading now.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:41 AM   #11
ccpraveen

Ahh, thats why.

Thanks for the clarification, durrant. Much obliged.

Regards

Dave

Old 07-23-2009, 09:48 AM   #12
kazbates
Wizard
kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kazbates ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SurfacePro, SurfaceBook 2
Welcome to MobileRead, Dave!

It looks like your off to a good start here at MR and are finding your way with all the free ebooks we have here. In addtion to the monthly book discussions, we delve into a wide range of topics in the Lounge, some serious and some definitely not! Don't be shy about jumping in. Enjoy.

Happy Reading!
kazbates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 10:20 AM   #13
rlparker
Ars longa
rlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankindrlparker has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: Kindle K1, K3 wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccpraveen View Post
Thanks catire, parker and ladyblue for the warm welcome.

@parker, that book u r reading is one of the most hilarious books I have ever read. Can u suggest similar titles please? Or should I have asked this in a PM?
The books that immediately came to mind when I started reading "Three Men" are the Jeeves and Wooster books--are you familiar with them? They are hilarious too in a similar "clueless upper crust young bachelor (British)" kind of way. There are differences too, of course. Jerome had stretches of surprisingly beautiful lyricism. And where were the three men's manservants?

Asking in a PM would be okay, or asking on anyone's "wall"--if you don't mind that others see what you're asking--would be okay. For a specific question like yours about reading recommendations, probably the best bet would be the Reading Recommendations forum because you'd probably get lots of ideas there; we have a lot of widely-read folks around!
rlparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 11:42 AM   #14
ccpraveen

Thanks kazbates for the welcome. I have a confession to make. I had noticed your avatar earlier. Sooo soulful, and soo intriguing. And I am really glad, that that person actually welcomed me here. Thanks again.

@parker, thank you friend. Thanks for the suggestions and thanks for guiding me in the proper direction, so that I would know where to look and ask, next time. Much appreciate it.